Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

David Hume was pretty much ripped off by all modern thinkers, yes even you reading this right now.

I'm not a modern thinker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ewiley posted:

This thread is about me alone. gently caress the rest of you.:getout:

You're looking for the Solipsism thread, hth

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ewiley posted:

This thread is about me alone. gently caress the rest of you.:getout:

Heh, like you even exist.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This thread is still meaningless like my life

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The fact that this thread hasn't devolved into people posting Big Lebowski pictures gives me some hope. :unsmith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How common is it for a philosophy professor to tell one his most earnest students of philosophy to shut up very often, like every class?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

How common is it for a philosophy professor to tell one his most earnest students of philosophy to shut up very often, like every class?

Not common enough

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Is it a "mature" student who always sits in the front row and constantly interrupts the lecture with their uninteresting questions and observations

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Nonsense posted:

I have seen a prof do that, sort of.

I had a seminar in my first year of undergrad on Nietszche, Christianity and Greek philosophy. Every week half the class prepared a two page write up on the readings for that week. In one class we had just read The Bachae by Euripides. One of the other students decided, without any prompting, to do this elaborate Freudian analysis of the text. "This character represents the Id, and that character is the Super Ego, and this event from the play is actually about the Oedipal complex, blah blah blah. " the student told me before class that this paper was his "baby".

After the student was finished reading his essay out the prof just kind of nodded and went, "ok, but you know somebody could read that and just conclude gee, this guy has gotta get laid."

Anyway the student never came back after that and the seminar was much improved.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Even if you want a life
Even if I like it, you're sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YZZiIlJHVA

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The fact that this thread hasn't devolved into people posting Big Lebowski pictures gives me some hope. :unsmith:

wow get this hope out of the nihilism thread

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
y'see, me posting nirvana song lyrics is just as worthy a post as a nihilist philosophy mega-effortpost because there is no logic way to tell which post is more valuable ergo there is no value ergo none of them mean nothing and are equally worthless

(nihilism is stupid, hth)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
nihilism is a pretty good coping mechanism for getting through the poo poo-show that is being alive :shobon:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The world is a product of one giant cosmic joke. So if you're feeling down or think you don't measure up to some social standard, remember it's all arbitrary and there's no intrinsic meaning to society's values or even existence itself

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
on a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

now this is a thread i can feel optimistic about

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bagual posted:

y'see, me posting nirvana song lyrics is just as worthy a post as a nihilist philosophy mega-effortpost because there is no logic way to tell which post is more valuable ergo there is no value ergo none of them mean nothing and are equally worthless

Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam, motherfucker.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Negative Entropy posted:

It's a trap to think there needs to be a God for reality to have inherent meaning.
E: Also Nietzsche hated nihilism and sought to destroy it.

The entirety of Nietzsche's philosophy is built around trying to show that the nihilism that comes with the death of God is not the end of meaning.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Negative Entropy posted:

Contrary to popular belief, entropy does not entail chaos; entropy can actually decrease disorder in certain conditions (crystals). Rather, entropy seeks absolute, perfect stillness, or death, like a clear pond at night.
Entropy is the negation of life and of vigor.

What a load of hippy bollocks.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiberius Christ posted:

now this is a thread i can feel optimistic about

I don't believe this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Helsing posted:

I have seen a prof do that, sort of.

I had a seminar in my first year of undergrad on Nietszche, Christianity and Greek philosophy. Every week half the class prepared a two page write up on the readings for that week. In one class we had just read The Bachae by Euripides. One of the other students decided, without any prompting, to do this elaborate Freudian analysis of the text. "This character represents the Id, and that character is the Super Ego, and this event from the play is actually about the Oedipal complex, blah blah blah. " the student told me before class that this paper was his "baby".

After the student was finished reading his essay out the prof just kind of nodded and went, "ok, but you know somebody could read that and just conclude gee, this guy has gotta get laid."

Anyway the student never came back after that and the seminar was much improved.

I had a history of religious philosophy class where this one guy would try to counter every single thing the professor said with rambling about "pauline ethics". He offered extra credit on the midterm for writing rebuttals to the pauline answer to each question on the midterm. The kid didn't talk any more after that.

Which was doubly funny because this kid was only getting his bachelor's so he could go to seminary and half of what he was arguing with was Augustine and Aquinas.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everblight posted:

You're looking for the Solipsism thread, hth

Sorry, self-doubt, but every thread is my solipsism thread. :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry, self-doubt, but every thread is my solipsism thread. :getin:

Are they, though? I think we can all agree, as posers on the Something Awful forums, that this thread is open to multiple interpretations. We've all felt that way, yes? The thought that a post could mean one thing to us but something entirely different to another. For example, this very post could be considered as a multitude of—

oh thought it said sophism, n/m

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
this douche hipster kid in my phil class made an offhand comment about how he had less privileged because he was a vegan.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Just stare at him and don't stop. After class you should keep eye contact on him and follow him.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

bagual posted:

Your post is just as worthless as theirs

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
^ a post we can believe in

• Locked thread