Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I agree with Niggurath. I think that the next two parts (which unfortunately probably won't come out until Fall 2015) will further explore the theme. We've really only scratched the surface and the developers are clear that the ending we saw was written under the assumption that there would be two more parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Upon reflection, I realize I'm just questioning the logic of the setting in a science fiction work. Not going to get anywhere with that.

Logic is overrated anyway. I'm fairly certain that (part of) what makes us human is recognizing something like "this statement is false" to be patent nonsense, while we still can't figure out how to not make a computer more or less literally melt itself when confronted with contradictory orders.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Hey guys,

As much as I'd love to continue showing off the Swapper, the puzzles are getting increasingly difficult and my recordings are simply me struggling, hitting stop, checking a walkthrough, and then recording the solution. That's really lame.

I'm not sure what I want to do about this, but for now this LP is on hiatus. Sorry.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Well, you could either try and get a second commentator, especially if they're a puzzle game pro. Or you could decide to lose the 'authentic blind playthrough' thing and first play through a few episodes worth of the game, so you know what to do, load a back-up save, and then record a video of you playing through the game the second time around.

I would prefer the former option, but it's completely up to you, of course.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I was thinking of recording my play session with heavy editing and recording post commentary. Not sure if I want to post what I recorded yesterday, since it was mostly me struggling with a couple puzzles (and miraculously solving one on the first try).

A second commentator would be fun but I don't know anyone who could fill that role.

EDIT: OK. LP is back on. I'm going to post the three live videos I made (with me struggling through some puzzles).

From then onward, I will be recording videos on my machine and pausing recording when I come across puzzles that I can't solve in the first go. The video will resume once I've determined the solution. This means longer videos that cover more content than before. I've already recorded one such video like this and it's, in my opinion, a lot better. Hopefully you guys will agree.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 15, 2014

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New episodes:

The Swapper

Episode 6: We enter Xeno Research.

Episode 7: We continue to solve the puzzles of Xeno Research.

Episode 8: We reach the end of Xeno Research.

This concludes my live recordings for this LP. The remaining three episodes (which I have already recorded), are edited.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New episode:

The Swapper

Episode 9

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New episode:

The Swapper

Episode 10

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Final episode:

The Swapper

Episode 11

This concludes our Let's Play double feature. Things tapered off near the end, but thanks to those who watched.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I still have your last two episodes to watch, but I have to admit that for the last few episodes this LP kinda became background noise while I was doing other stuff. I think this is mostly because of the game. The puzzles seem to get a bit samey after a while, and I think it's the kind of puzzles you need to try out for yourself to be interesting. So I was watching for the plot, at some point.

And up till the point I watched, that turned out to be bad, too. There's this woman giving you commands and acting like you are a moron, for no reason at all. She doesn't seem to have much of a personality of her own, the game absolutely has no character growth, and things just seem to happen for no reason at all. No sense of progress.

It would've been more interesting if slowly, the mystery of these thinking stones or whatever was revealed. But there's no real reveal so far, nothing understandable at least. Maybe things get more interesting during the ending of the game, I'll see that when I get there. But by then, it's too late.

Edit: Alright, I finished watching. In the end, the story gets a bit clearer, but not completely. Those brains-in-a-vat had the same voice. I'm wondering now if everyone who was still alive, including the player character, was actually a clone of the same, schizophrenic, personality.

While The Fall also failed to answer many plot questions, I felt it had a clear sense of progress, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

Rush_shirt, thank you for finishing these LPs. One last request: if it isn't too hard to reload The Swapper from close to the ending, could you show us what happens if you decide to Swap in that final choice?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 22, 2014

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I wanted to show both endings, but the game doesn't let you restart at the choosing point. So, as a consolation, here's someone else's video showing the other ending. :effort:

I enjoyed playing through the Fall, even though I occasionally got stuck on a puzzle. The Swapper, however, despite being the more fleshed out game, with better visuals and atmosphere, was an exercise in tedium. By the half-way point, the puzzles became too obtuse and samey, and I found myself researching solutions more than enjoying the game. What sucks is that there is plenty to like in the Swapper, but the core gameplay (go to puzzle room, solve puzzle, rinse repeat) doesn't hold up. And the story isn't going to win it any favors, either. It's serviceable, but, as Carbon dioxide pointed out, not particularly well executed.

By the way, I don't like to LP games that other goons have done. I searched our archives and all our active threads, and somehow I missed Niggurath's Swapper LP. So, yeah, I kinda wish I knew about that otherwise I would have LP'd a different game. I really like Niggurath's stuff, too. :3:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Thank you for that link. I checked out some of Niggurath's videos, and he's been focusing on good aspects of the game such as the soundtrack. Apparently there's also a bunch of secret messages hidden in The Swapper. So his LP makes the game seem a little more interesting, I have to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was an interesting reflection at the end by the alien space rocks. I was kind of hoping they'd try to save is or something. I mean, the rocks before the chasm sounded a little like the other people on the ship.

• Locked thread