Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Not a boss per se, but I finally beat Fall of Cybertron, and the entire last level is one of the best I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The giant robot is cool too but I always liked this guy from Mischief Makers, especially in the second phase where he speeds up and starts mixing up the patterns to keep you on your toes.

I got the gold gem (no damage) for every level except this guy. I'd always gently caress up the timing late into the fight were you said he swaps the patterns, and I must have played it a hundred times and gotten so kid-mad at it I remember it clearly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Replaying Metal Gear Rising on PC, and holy poo poo Monsoon is still one of the best bosses in any game ever.

AND IT WILL FLOW! LIKE A FLOOD OF RAIN! POURING DOWN ON ME! :black101:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Replaying Metal Gear Rising on PC, and holy poo poo Monsoon is still one of the best bosses in any game ever.

AND IT WILL FLOW! LIKE A FLOOD OF RAIN! POURING DOWN ON ME! :black101:

Same, but Armstrong is the best boss in that game, sorry. Monsoon is basically the "I hope you learned to parry" check and Armstrong checks if you remember everything you've learned throughout the game. (also don't gently caress with this senator)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sleeveless posted:

That was a wonderful time, when games were big enough to have actual native English speakers translating games but before gamers got so obnoxious about translations that any and all fun was stamped out in the name of being true to canon.

Yup Legion sure doesn't have any meaning in English, or any possible connotations that could relate to the boss at hand.

Anyway more on topic, my favorite boss is definitely from Metroid Prime 2.

Your second fight with Dark Samus isn't especially hard or anything, but I always enjoy it. The setting is cool and it's a fast paced fight in a game that's generally slower. I'm also a huge sucker for mirror-match fights with evil versions of your character. Bonus points for the cutscene after where Samus manages to emote more without saying a word than all of Other M.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dark Samus 2 owned. I was disappointed when the final fight, following the boring as hell Ing Boss Dude, was less symmetrical and more static. Hm, yeah, we created an evil version of the player character, what do they want out of a boss fight with it? They want it to float inside a blob in the air in the middle of an arena while firing dumb blob laser projectiles, that's the poo poo.

The Metroid Prime trilogy didn't have very good bosses generally.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The worst thing about that final boss, is that the mechanic really comes the gently caress out of nowhere. You don't have to use the charge beam like that at all in the game. Like, if you could anywhere else even optionally it would have been fine. But I lost my first time playing because nothing I did seemed to hurt the boss because "oh by the way brand new mechanic we won't tell you about" and it doesn't help that it's super finnicky to get to work at all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, for mirror fights, nothing beats playing yourself in Hexen. Better still when you are fighting your buddy and you either both play the cleric and kill the gently caress out of each other or have a gentleman's agreement to have the perverse rock vs. scissor-paper that is fighter vs mage.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Exercu posted:

Same, but Armstrong is the best boss in that game, sorry. Monsoon is basically the "I hope you learned to parry" check and Armstrong checks if you remember everything you've learned throughout the game. (also don't gently caress with this senator)

Pretty much every boss fight in Rising was amazing, but Armstrong was so perfect in so many ways. The music was amazing, the gameplay itself and the sheer hilarity of fighting a lunatic senator juiced up on nanomachines. It took me like 4 hours to beat because I'm awful at robot ninja-ing (It took me until my 20th try at Sam to realize that to parry properly you had to do point the stick every time), but goddamn I looked back on it and really liked it.

I really liked Dhaos form 2 in Tales of Phantasia. Wasn't ready at all for form 3 and it turned into "Arche casts Meteor Shower over and over in a corner" pretty quick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The worst thing about that final boss, is that the mechanic really comes the gently caress out of nowhere. You don't have to use the charge beam like that at all in the game. Like, if you could anywhere else even optionally it would have been fine. But I lost my first time playing because nothing I did seemed to hurt the boss because "oh by the way brand new mechanic we won't tell you about" and it doesn't help that it's super finnicky to get to work at all.

"Use your Charge Beam to collect Phazon energy that she expels, then fire it back at her. Direct hits will overload and disrupt her essence."

Straight from the scan. If you don't know to scan enemies by the end of the entire game I don't know what to tell you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

"Use your Charge Beam to collect Phazon energy that she expels, then fire it back at her. Direct hits will overload and disrupt her essence."

Straight from the scan. If you don't know to scan enemies by the end of the entire game I don't know what to tell you.

That's in Dark Samus 4's scan. She switches from Dark Samus 3 to 4 partway through the final battle, I don't entirely remember but there's either no visual indication between the change of forms, or she only goes into Dark Samus 4 during the stages in which that part's relevant. It's not the only boss that has multiple scans, but the rest of them all have distinct visual changes. Dark Samus only gets a new scan when she pulls out an attack you haven't seen her do yet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's fair, although I was paranoid about missing one-time scans so I always checked if I thought a boss might have added a new one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

That's in Dark Samus 4's scan. She switches from Dark Samus 3 to 4 partway through the final battle, I don't entirely remember but there's either no visual indication between the change of forms, or she only goes into Dark Samus 4 during the stages in which that part's relevant. It's not the only boss that has multiple scans, but the rest of them all have distinct visual changes. Dark Samus only gets a new scan when she pulls out an attack you haven't seen her do yet.

Yeah I stopped being paranoid about scans early on when I missed that one door you can only scan once. So I didn't even think to scan her a second time..

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know a whole bunch of people are critical about the Gargoyles in DS2 being lifted directly from DS, just made harder by having 5 of them instead of 2, but believe you me, the catharsis you feel after killing the last of them on your own is so, so great.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
While the last boss in Zone of the Enders 2 is pretty hectic, my favourite fight in the entire game is the fight against five flying battleships. You dodge flak, lasers and giant :fuckoff: beams while chopping up hundreds of enemy mechas. And when you do manage to charge your own beam weapon long enough to destroy the battleship core, you can watch the wreckage fall all the way to Mars surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K90g4EKjGNk

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

hirvox posted:

While the last boss in Zone of the Enders 2 is pretty hectic, my favourite fight in the entire game is the fight against five flying battleships. You dodge flak, lasers and giant :fuckoff: beams while chopping up hundreds of enemy mechas. And when you do manage to charge your own beam weapon long enough to destroy the battleship core, you can watch the wreckage fall all the way to Mars surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K90g4EKjGNk

Not only that, but straight after the battleships you got to fight Zakat, a giant orbital frame with multiple pilots and an incredible theme song. You destroy it by ripping pieces off it and throwing them back.

e: The battleships were a nightmare for me at first until I learned how to dodge and destroy their main beams and use Mummy and Grab to restore health and energy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samovar posted:

I know a whole bunch of people are critical about the Gargoyles in DS2 being lifted directly from DS, just made harder by having 5 of them instead of 2, but believe you me, the catharsis you feel after killing the last of them on your own is so, so great.

I liked that fight but its pretty much entirely because the Gargoyles have one of my favorite boss themes of all time. So getting to hear it again was nice.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Samovar posted:

I didn't mind the fight but I just wasn't blown away by it since they did the exact same thing in Demon's with the Maneaters and obviously the Gargoyles in Dark Souls 1. I just had a bit of a sixth sense kick in at the start of the fight and I knew the gimmick was gonna be having more than two of them show up.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The Amiga had some pretty bizarre bosses.

The Demon King from Second Samurai

After platforming your way through Italy in Soccer Kid, you got to fight this guy, who bears no similarity to any person living or dead.

Pretty much every boss in Virocop was memorable (even if the person longplaying those videos doesn't do the best job of showing them off.)

Of course, they weren't always so impressive.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pretty much every boss in Metal Gear Rising is great: they're genuinely challenging and (Mistral aside) the fist time you face them they'll kick your rear end until you figure out how to beat them, however special mention goes to Jetstream Sam. After level after level of ridiculous bosses with gimmicks it's just you, another dude, and two swords. Which is great because there's nowhere to hide - either you're good enough with your sword and can parry/combo effectively enough to beat the guy in a duel, or you're toast. What makes it extra-satisfying is that it's the second time you fight him in the game, and after he cleans the floor with you in the first fight you get the sense that you've finally learned enough to face him on an even footing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Breetai posted:

Pretty much every boss in Metal Gear Rising is great: they're genuinely challenging and (Mistral aside) the fist time you face them they'll kick your rear end until you figure out how to beat them, however special mention goes to Jetstream Sam. After level after level of ridiculous bosses with gimmicks it's just you, another dude, and two swords. Which is great because there's nowhere to hide - either you're good enough with your sword and can parry/combo effectively enough to beat the guy in a duel, or you're toast. What makes it extra-satisfying is that it's the second time you fight him in the game, and after he cleans the floor with you in the first fight you get the sense that you've finally learned enough to face him on an even footing.

First fight? As in the train one? Or am I mis-remembering? 'Cos you can't win that first fight. :ssh:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

88h88 posted:

First fight? As in the train one? Or am I mis-remembering? 'Cos you can't win that first fight. :ssh:

Breetai posted:

and after he cleans the floor with you in the first fight

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you do really well in that first fight he actually backs off and compliments you, too!

He'll then dive right back in and kick your arse but still.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:negative:

I can't read good. I also need to play Rising through again it seems. Enough time has passed that it should be a challenge again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I never got beyond like maybe 1/10 of the way through MGS4 because I no longer have a PS3. Is Rising plot-heavy enough that I won't get what's going on or is it a pretty independent storyline?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

sticklefifer posted:

I never got beyond like maybe 1/10 of the way through MGS4 because I no longer have a PS3. Is Rising plot-heavy enough that I won't get what's going on or is it a pretty independent storyline?

Its basically 100% independent

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Its basically 100% independent

But that said the setup for it, and several plot events contain absolutely massive spoilers for MGS4 so finishing/watching an LP/whatever before you go in might be a good idea if you ever intend to go back.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Just mash the buttons to skip the story, all the content in there is longer than the actual gameplay time. I've played through at least three times and if I were to play any of the MGS games I'd still be pretty much at a loss to explain anything.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

sticklefifer posted:

MGS4 kinda forgets to be a Metal Gear Solid game after the end of Chapter 2, so you didn't miss much there. I think... Aside from Raiden, there's 1 recurring character in Sunny and Snake is dead of old age. Should be fine.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

88h88 posted:

Just mash the buttons to skip the story, all the content in there is longer than the actual gameplay time. I've played through at least three times and if I were to play any of the MGS games I'd still be pretty much at a loss to explain anything.

The story is good, don't do this.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But that said the setup for it, and several plot events contain absolutely massive spoilers for MGS4 so finishing/watching an LP/whatever before you go in might be a good idea if you ever intend to go back.

What in all is spoiled really? I can't remember but I wouldn't ever recommend anyone sit through all of MGS4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found someone doing a giant marathon stream of metal gear solid 4 with all cutscenes, so I watched everything after the part I had played up to. The entire game became a giant what the gently caress and act 1 sadly looked like the best. The streamer also basically speedran through a lot of the gameplay sections so the later acts became 10 minutes of gameplay and 3 hours of cutscenes. Some of those cutscenes are individually a half hour long. And the ending is 72 minutes long. What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you may die
Dec 15, 2013
is 72 minutes even as long as the ending of MGS2?

edit: I forgot that there's a gameplay break for the last fight. I remember it being at least 2 hours, though, from the second-last fight to the end.

• Locked thread