Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
Problem description: I own an HP EliteBook 8530w laptop, and am unable to operate a static IP (via crossover OR Ethernet cable) while using my WiFi at the same time, it's strictly one or the other. I modify Xboxes and PS2s for friends and family frequently, so I have my Ethernet set up with a static IP and crossover cable to FTP over the necessary files. Whenever I connect a crossover cable or LAN to the computer while the Xbox or PS2 is on, WiFi always disconnects.

With previous computers I've owned, using the WiFi while operating FTP over LAN simultaneously has never been an issue, it's only come up with this one laptop.

Attempted fixes: I've attempted everything from trying clean installs of different OSes (Windows XP, 7, Vista, 8 & even 8.1) to updating and trying different drivers. I have quadruple-checked all of my BIOS settings and tried updating the BIOS version. I have also scoured the web to see if anyone else out there with the same model have had similar issues, but it seems like I may be the only one. I'm mainly bringing this up here to see if anyone out there has the same model and has experienced the same issue.

For curiosity-sake, I also tested my ability to bridge my LAN & WiFi connection, which I can't do with this machine. (it will bridge successfully, then proceed to kill the WiFi connection)

Also, yes: I have made sure the IP addresses I'm using aren't conflicting with anything else, which would be strange if anything WERE because WiFi & crossover FTP transfers are the only two connections I ever use on this laptop.

I have even gone as far as to replace the LAN port, with still no luck.

Recent changes: I have not made any recent changes, I've had this issue from the start of owning the machine.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs:

Machine manufacturer/model number: HP EliteBook 8530w
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9600
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Network Adapters: LAN - Intel 82567LM (Gigabit); WiFi - Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

tagmedia7 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
Do you have a default gateway address configured on the wired LAN interface?

If you're connecting to another device either with a crossover cable (or a regular cable with an auto-crossover capable device) or through a regular switch, you should not need a gateway address. Leave it blank in the wired LAN configuration.

A wired LAN has usually consistently higher throughput/less latency than wireless one, so when the computer sees the link of the wired interface come up, it will try to route all your Internet-going traffic to the gateway of the wired LAN. But if there is no real gateway/router at the configured address, that will cause the kind of failure you're seeing.

tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
I'll give it a try! I'll report back to this thread after giving it a go, thank you!

tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011

telcoM posted:

Do you have a default gateway address configured on the wired LAN interface?

If you're connecting to another device either with a crossover cable (or a regular cable with an auto-crossover capable device) or through a regular switch, you should not need a gateway address. Leave it blank in the wired LAN configuration.

A wired LAN has usually consistently higher throughput/less latency than wireless one, so when the computer sees the link of the wired interface come up, it will try to route all your Internet-going traffic to the gateway of the wired LAN. But if there is no real gateway/router at the configured address, that will cause the kind of failure you're seeing.

Sadly, this did not work. :(

• Locked thread