Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The next great novel will be written in November. Let's see what's on the boiler this year

http://nanowrimo.org/forums

quote:

My MC is homoromantic asexual, and her girlfriend is a homosexual lesbian.

One of my supporting characters is agender, and they get a girlfriend.

One of the other characters is aromantic asexual, but does have a son.

The funny guy is implied to be bi, but he only really talks about boobs.

I think I'm going to give the (male) court jester a boyfriend later in the series. IDK though. He's definitely not interested in the female royal concubines though.

My society is queer-friendly, and fairly gender-neutral. Lesbians are no big deal, and people are cool with the fact that Sam is agender since that's acceptable here.

It just felt right for me to include queer characters that have serious relationships, both healthy and unhealthy, as somebody who's pan. And the agender character was my genderqueer friend's suggestion, which I really thought was kinda neat. The only thing is that Sam, the agender person, is going to have a sex scene, and I absolutely refuse to disclose what kind of junk they have, so that's going to be a challenge!

quote:

My main character, Ariadne, is a bisexual 42yo mother of three and healer/seamstress. Her love interest is a little younger, and a mother as well. Their romance is pretty minor to the story, but their love for each other's children is pretty important and that sense of family they create is a reflection of some of the themes of the story.

There's a teenage character who is a trans girl. They are all deer!fauns, so she has stubs of antlers that Ariadne helps her keep healthy while still not growing them out. She has a girlfriend, as well, who tags along for the journey.

There are a couple of other characters, one who is third gender and one who is a woman, who are both in a relationship with the same man and I haven't decided yet if those two will end up together as well for the sake of a closed triangle or just continue with how it is now. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I could very well change my mind.

quote:

There aren't any social justice-type LGBT issues in my story, because really, they'll accept werewolves, dinosaurs, time-traveling Vikings, and a shadow man as chief of police, but they get iffy on whose junk touches whose (or doesn't touch anybody's)? But my characters fall all across the spectrum:

Eva is straight and has no interest in a relationship with another woman, but she can appreciate the pretty no matter the gender. You know, when she's not busy being a neurotic workaholic.

Charlie is 99% straight, but he has some sort of thing going on with Fell. What happens on their annual hunting trip together stays on their annual hunting trip.

Fell is a manwhore and will sleep with just about anyone who says yes. His one strict exception is Charlie's sister, Joanna, and that has nothing to do with Charlie. It'd just be like sleeping with his own sisters.

Joanna is bisexual with a slight lean towards women. While affectionate with Fell, it's completely platonic; they just like to snuggle.

Dastan is super gay, with an on-and-off boyfriend, and also has a bit of a crush on Fell. Unfortunately, there's two strikes against any potential relationship: his siblings, Jo and Charlie, and an 8-year age difference. Also, Fell treats him like he treats his younger sisters: amusing but annoying.

Nanna is the girliest lesbian to ever turn into a giant slavering wolf on the night of the full moon.

Skadi hasn't really decided what she is yet. She uses a female pronoun but enjoys androgyny, and she's pretty sure she's asexual because she doesn't really want to date or sleep with anyone. She's not too bothered by this, and anyone who is can deal with her twin, Nanna, during the full moon.

Rook is sort of dating Dastan, but his real love is shiny things. Really, really shiny things.

Eion is Eion: Faery King and possible world-destroyer.

Fantasy terms for homosexuals? posted:

Because a world without Lesbos can't use the term Lesbian, and so on, what kind of terms would your characters use for describing someone who butters their bread on the other side (derogatory or otherwise)?

As for me, I'm leaning towards creating a new name based off of an in-universe culture famous for this practice.

quote:

While I'm working with an asexual main character, not a homosexual or bisexual character, people have, on occasion, gotten the wrong impression simply because they don't see him running after women. Basically, they understand that gay people exist, not so much asexual people, so they assume that he must be running after men if he isn't running after women. I know this probably sounds odd, but I just wrote around the issue. I didn't need to use "gay" or "homosexual" at all, nor does it outright say anywhere that he's sex-ambivalent asexual aromantic. That I can show, and it's supported by a few things he says just to clarify it for the reader. He doesn't go around screaming that he's asexual, nor does he go around actively trying to hide it any longer. (He chased women in his teens, but found he cared more for the chase itself than the women or the sex. He's repulsed by men, ambivalent to women. For a while, he'd periodically be seen in a woman's company just to give people around him the impression that he was just fussy and hadn't found the right one, but he was using this as cover. Then there was an incident and he stopped trying to do this.) He will clarify if it comes up and someone has the wrong idea, but he has never needed the word "asexual" for that. He's typically met with people who don't understand or who project their own sexual needs onto him.

Quote:“See...you need a wife.”

“No, I really don’t. I need a better cook for the school.”

“Do you never get, well, you know...lonely?”

“Never.”

Quote:"Don't worry your pretty head, professor. Your preference for men is not my business."

"I don't prefer men. I find them less appealing than women."

Anime-stylized Writing posted:

So I'm doing something new this year and trying to write my novel as though it's an anime/manga, since it's both humorous and serious at the same time. How differently would the style of writing be? Would I need to add in things such as sweatdrops and over the top reactions, or is there something more subtle that I'm missing here?

^ this person has 4882 words written in their story. NaNoWriMo started one day ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008
This thread's goin' places :)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
ah, out of all the thousands of people writing inane bullshit for this, you managed to zero in on GBS's greatest foes- faggots and trannies.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Effectronica posted:

ah, out of all the thousands of people writing inane bullshit for this, you managed to zero in on GBS's greatest foes- faggots and trannies.

i dont like your new avatar

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Why look further than our own Nanowrimo thread in CC

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm going to write a story about a young boy living in Crimea during the late 19th century. His mother is dead and his father is distant. Every day he grubs for potatoes, breaking apart the ice with his bare hands before he digs through the freezing ground. Each potato must last his family a week. One day, the Tsar's men arrive in the town and begin to break down doors. They are looking for somebody. It will never be clear who. Just another empty year; devoid of warmth, love or answers.

Nah jokes I'm writing about werewolves WITH A TWIST.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Effectronica posted:

find some posts in there that don't involve these in some way

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TEAYCHES posted:

size queen

Beef Turret posted:

Why look further than our own Nanowrimo thread in CC

hahahaha

Heath posted:

find some posts in there that don't involve these in some way

quote:

Oh heavens... Eek.

Zion: (Main antagonist) Was ill and was replaced as Fon Master by his replica, saved by an assassin named Ryndor (listed below), found out that Yulia's Score was complete and total baloney, and has found a way to destroy and re-make the world. He has decided this would be a good idea and wants to sacrifice my MC, Kairi, to do this. To that end, he keeps kidnapping her in an attempt to get her to the Monolith of Sylph. So far, about a third of the way through Book 2, he's had no luck.

Star: (Zion's sort-of love interest) Found by Zion when he was still training to be the Fon Master, she became one of his Guardians, fell in love with the Head of the Fon Master Guards, and then Reighn left, and she went with Zion when he left Daath after the replicas were created. She's basically only an antagonist because Zion is. She does harbor a rather strong hatred for Reighn, though.

Flick: (Star's replica) Flick... actually isn't much of an antagonist. In fact, she spends most of Books 1&2 confusing the heck out of the protagonists. Still, she doesn't openly side with the protagonists until Book 3, which puts her in the antagonist lineup until Zion dies and the Council falls apart. Really, her only reason for being with the Council is because of her original, Star, and the woman who created her, Rhunon.

Seth: (Replica of Jade Curtiss) Um... He hasn't figured out what he's doing yet, so I'm not going to say much here. Replicas are rather impressionable, so I'm not sure where he's gonna end up in the end. (Especially since he suddenly can't make up his mind.)

Ryndor: This guy lives by a 'whatever I feel like doing, I will do' motto. Which basically means, if he wants to make trouble for the protagonists, he will make trouble for the antagonists (which he does a lot of later in Book 2). If not... He's usually pretty hard to find. I guess it has something to do with him being an assassin...?

Rhunon: As a serious replica researcher and slight psycho, Rhunon gets thrown firmly into the antagonist lineup when she replicates Kairi. Also, there is no way that Jade would have given her a pardon, considering the sheer number of people she has replicated. She's also rather sadistic, though most of her replicas see her as something of a mother-figure. She, like her younger brother Ryndor, was raised an assassin, so she's pretty nonchalant about the whole thing as well.

Dante: This guy hates his replica, Dark, and since Dark is firmly on Kairi's side, Dante becomes a major antagonist. He also gives Kairi a debilitating injury at the end of Book 1, as well as making most (if not all) of her friends believe she is dead, which earns him no points in anyone's books. He's also upset that his liger partner, Kallig, became feral after being replicated, so he's pretty bitter toward Rhunon as well.

Meryl: A replica of Natalia, but with brown and slate-gray hair. Rhunon creates her and her 'older sister' as a personal project. Meryl comes to hate Kairi for having 'held Mirage captive within her body for so long that Mirage's memories are mostly gone'. She also seems to harbor a grudge again Natalia for looking so similar to her. She doesn't seem to realize that she and her sister are replicas.

Mirage: A replica of Kairi. She believes Meryl is her little sister and is stubborn about defending her. She, like Meryl, is uncomfortable about Natalia due to the resemblance between the blonde and Meryl. A bit more level-headed than the naive Meryl, Mirage is meant to pose a serious threat to the group. Zion had her created in an attempt to strike at the hearts of Kairi's friends, effectively distracting them, while he slipped away with Kairi to complete his plans. Mirage knows about this, and doesn't exactly appreciate it. She is a great seeker of truth... Not that anyone's giving it to her. She may or may not leave the antagonist lineup by Book 3.

Aerith: Reighn's little sister. She's bitter toward Reighn for keeping her tucked away from the world for so long. She's also angry at Kimlasca for starting the Hod War, since she lost all of her family (her parents and four of her older siblings) because of it. However, she does have a bit of a soft spot for Luke, and while she's very, very sadistic, Luke may or may not be able to pull her back to the light... Though I'm never going to call her a protagonist. Still, she has plans that involve a lot of emotional pain for her older brother. Poor Reighn...

Wow. That was a lot... and that's not even including the lineup for Book 3, (mostly because I'm only on Book 2 right now) or the original lineup from the Tales of the Abyss game. Though, I will say that Asch and Sync have officially left the original antagonist lineup.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Y'know, even if it's terrible poo poo (it's terrible poo poo) you gotta admire the sheer wordcount of their terrible poo poo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I opened the thread, my penis fully erect. My body was tense with anticipation of the events to come. I bit my lip in excitement as a single thought repeated itself in my head: it's time to shitpost.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Why do these fucktards fixate on the characters sexuality constantly.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The food tastes like putrid poo poo and makes me wanna hurl, but you have to admire how fast they peel the potatoes

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Beef Turret posted:

The food tastes like putrid poo poo and makes me wanna hurl, but you have to admire how fast they peel the potatoes

quote:

My novel is just beginning to take shape, and may change A LOT this month. But from where I stand today, it is a sort of a HOW TO guide: how to find trolls, where they live, what they look like, history, accounts, that sort of thing. If you read that great, illustrated book on Gnomes by Peit Something-or-other when you were a kid, that's the general idea, kinda.... SO: Plot? Do I need one? Mostly I'm just generating a list of 101 Questions You've Always Had about Trolls, and going from there. But other ideas/concepts to give my mad scribbling some form?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i can't read any of the excerpts from nanowrimo authors past the first line before my brain overheats and goes into reset mode

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i can't read any of the excerpts from nanowrimo authors past the first line before my brain overheats and goes into reset mode

all you need to know is that the website expects you to set a genre for your novel and they have a thread for finding the right one

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

I'm glad Bad Doggy is back :3:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pillow Clerk posted:

I'm glad Bad Doggy is back :3:

to answer the question you asked in QCS: megathreads are really bad for discussion and having a good forums environment

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008

Effectronica posted:

to answer the question you asked in QCS: megathreads are really bad for discussion and having a good forums environment

Yeah, I can see how that could be true.

It's interesting, though, that no one was willing to give me that answer in QCS.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
"this is bullshit"

"why do we have burn all this stuff now"?

I just want to go home and sleep, , hell the last 3 nights we got more burn filler than anything. Now the upper management is on our asses all the time.

"we should open one of these to see what we are actually burning, you know, take pictures of it, maybe get rich"

"Are you loving nuts, where else you gonna find a janitorial job that pays 50 bucks and hour."

"i'm curious"

"the stuff they send down is always in those giant bins"

""i will report you"

"that's to bad"

shadow man pulls a gun and kills all the janitor crew.

"let's unzip this puppy"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im going to write about straight heterosexual characters

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pillow Clerk posted:

Yeah, I can see how that could be true.

It's interesting, though, that no one was willing to give me that answer in QCS.

most people on the forums hate everyone who has ever posted in D&D. thankfully, since i loathe the majority of the forums, I'm fine with D&D posters.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Effectronica posted:

most people on the forums hate everyone who has ever posted in D&D. thankfully, since i loathe the majority of the forums, I'm fine with D&D posters.

D&D loves interventionism to kill thoe people, at the same time, how come the military is so bad.

Gee I don't know maybe after the 4th tour you should get fresh troops?

OH right there is none, and when they come back all hosed up and stuff sweep it under the rug.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

SpeedGem posted:

D&D loves interventionism to kill thoe people, at the same time, how come the military is so bad.

Gee I don't know maybe after the 4th tour you should get fresh troops?

OH right there is none, and when they come back all hosed up and stuff sweep it under the rug.

maybe i should be a non fiction writer

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008

Effectronica posted:

most people on the forums hate everyone who has ever posted in D&D.

I know. I just didn't expect quite so snippy a reception lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Its good for spergs because its all about the word count not the content.

• Locked thread