Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
Acquisitions and Contracting have always been great ways to set yourself up with a lucrative but soul sucking mindless job that has "great potential" and will make you want to eat a bullet no matter how cushy and cake it is.

I mean YMMV but I hope you like the idea of Office Space in ABUs because otherwise it's gonna be a rough haul.

CaptainStag fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You have to manage to not A-bail the gently caress out of the AF or B-kill yourself. Nobody's paying former O-3s the big bucks on the outside.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

Nobody's paying former O-3s the big bucks on the outside.

:q:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

gently caress you. No one is paying E-5's the big bucks on the inside.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I'm not making a shitload of money, but it's enough to live on I guess. Not having the car payments on a loving '13 or '14 Mustang helps (:arghfist::mad: you stupid stupid A1Cs)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In acquisitions, I mean.

Get me a job.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm cool with acquisitions

I mean working in aircraft acquisitions seems like a fast track to a self-inflicted gunshot wound but I work with cool space stuff like launches and satellites that go from start to finish in a couple years.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

standard.deviant posted:

Speaking of assignments, it looks like it's time for me to leave behind the tender arms of AFSOC for an exciting career in acquisitions. Should I shoot myself now or wait until after I've verified the properly written requirement to do so?

I work with a bunch of 61/62/63s in my current gig...where are you going? SPO, ALC, or T&E?

In an ALC I would kill myself.

You'll be fine in a SPO as long as you turn off your brain and realize that everyone you work with is a moron, but it's okay because no one will ever hold you accountable for anything, so feel free to make all the asinine decisions you want without regard for the consequences for the operational side of things.

If it's T&E you'll enjoy yourself.

Regardless if you're going as some sort of exchange assignment make sure to take advantage of the opportunities to get DAWIA/APDP certs...all it takes is a couple DAU courses (that you'll probably have to take anyway) and then time in the billet.

Godholio posted:

Our squadron intel officer left the AF rather than go back to acquisitions (for some reason SQ intel can be an acq slot).

Exchange tour. They do one-for-one swaps between the career fields as a career broadening opportunity. A similar program exists between acquisitions and maintenance.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
It's more T&E than anything, and I actually don't expect it will be that bad. On the other hand, AFSOC has definitely spoiled me, so I'm sure there will be some adjustments to be made.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Use your AFSOC contacts to secure that AFSOC Ghost assignment that we always get asked to volunteer for but they never, ever pick anyone from my unit

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

standard.deviant posted:

It's more T&E than anything, and I actually don't expect it will be that bad. On the other hand, AFSOC has definitely spoiled me, so I'm sure there will be some adjustments to be made.

DT or OT?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Use your AFSOC contacts to secure that AFSOC Ghost assignment that we always get asked to volunteer for but they never, ever pick anyone from my unit

:lol:

One of the acquisition guys in the unit we work with applied for that.

He didn't get it.

\/ He is pretty normal surprisingly, he just thought it sounded like an interesting deployment/good opportunity. But yeah, I know exactly the type you're talking about and they're hilarious. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mostly the guys I see applying for it are the type who got into Engineering/Acquisitions and constantly bitch about how they're disappointed they're not shooting Taliban in the face. I've never been able to come up with an explanation for how you go to school to get an engineering degree, purposely pick the engineering career field, and then when you get an office job doing engineering say "this is bullshit I didn't want this"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Exchange tour. They do one-for-one swaps between the career fields as a career broadening opportunity. A similar program exists between acquisitions and maintenance.

Probably the most effective anti-suicide tool the AF has.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Not so sure about the acquisitions and maintenance one...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

The "competitive" missiles assignment is the tool the Air Force uses to hint heavily that they want you to off yourself

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
OT.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
After the best 3 years in Japan, going to Ft. Hood as an ALO. Pray for me. Or I'll take some kevlar.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Surprisingly most of the ALOs I know loved it and fought to stay. Most succeeded, but now the pipeline is up and running.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
That sounds terrible. Fort Hood is like 50k army people supported by Killeen... at least you're only a bit from Austin.

Everyone I know who went ALO or AMLO hated the Army and wanted to get back to flying ASAP so YMMV.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fighter pilots vs flight crew & ABMs stuck at Tinker.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
No one cares about which dumb noble job makes them want to kill themselves the most since in the end we should be hanging all the nobles anyway

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

smertrioslol posted:

No one cares about which dumb noble job makes them want to kill themselves the most since in the end we should be hanging all the nobles anyway

sorry i cant hear you over the 15 money counting machines in my living room running continuously

brb need more briefcases and coke

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

If you're working for/with the 53d or AFOTEC shoot me a PM if you want, we might know some of the same people.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Has anyone here been through OTS (or more specifically, AMS)? I'm going at some point next year, probably the spring, and from what I'm seeing, it seems like a more adult version of BMT. If it's anything like what I've seen in the guard, it'll be an exercise in dealing with AF training bs. Am I that far off?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

pkells posted:

Has anyone here been through OTS (or more specifically, AMS)? I'm going at some point next year, probably the spring, and from what I'm seeing, it seems like a more adult version of BMT. If it's anything like what I've seen in the guard, it'll be an exercise in dealing with AF training bs. Am I that far off?

Now that AMS is at Maxwell, from what I understand it's basically completely integrated with OTS as far as training/standards/etc.

So with that caveat, everything I've heard from a couple prior-E OTS grads that I'm pretty good friends with is that OTS was more demanding than BMT, simply because at BMT you can keep your head down and just do middle of the road and no one really cares because it's pass/fail basic enlisted training whereas at OTS they actually expect you to stand up and take charge of things at times (that whole officer/leadership development thing.) Lots of training/training environment BS, but there's more to it than just being good at folding clothes and understanding that you're always going to get yelled at...for example, halfway through your time there you "graduate" to being in the upper-class and now have a large part of the responsibility of training the underclassmen.

That said I don't think everyone I've talked to has ever said that it was hard, as long as you had a decent head on your shoulders and understood that most of the time you were going to do something wrong/get yelled at because it's a training environment, also that you won't have a lot of free time.

I know we've got some OTS grads in GiP so I'm sure they'll chime in as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not hard. It's stuff like time management and attention to detail. That's 90% of the training objectives. Otherwise read ^that again.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

OTS involves memorizing things and recalling them while being yelled at. And being really good at organizing closets, making beds, and ironing. If you've seen An Officer And A Gentleman, it's kind of like that, but without the flight-related things. And replace the drill sergeant with your upper class.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Rekinom posted:

sorry i cant hear you over the 15 money counting machines in my living room running continuously

brb need more briefcases and coke

This is mildly depressing but at least I'll be outty 5000 after Italy.

Brb drowning my peasant problems in soju

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Dominoes posted:

OTS involves memorizing things and recalling them while being yelled at. And being really good at organizing closets, making beds, and ironing. If you've seen An Officer And A Gentleman, it's kind of like that, but without the flight-related things. And replace the drill sergeant with your upper class.

I was happy during that Yoda quote day.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Dominoes posted:

And Flickerball. Good old' flickerball.

I dunno if they still do, but we got time on the Leadership Reaction Course...it kind of felt like a military version of the Double Dare obstacle course. Pretty fun. Of course, this was babby OTS for doctors.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

And Flickerball. Good old' flickerball.

I dunno if they still do, but we got time on the Leadership Reaction Course...it kind of felt like a military version of the Double Dare obstacle course. Pretty fun. Of course, this was babby OTS for doctors.
I did that too. Loved it. We had an arg in this thread a while back; apparently there are LRS haters.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Count me in for a hater. I've done it 4 times. Field Training it was cool, ASBC was "seriously?" and SOS was "you've got to be kidding me." SOS round 2 with SNCOs was super obnoxious because they were all gung ho about it.

So yeah, 4 times on that stupid course with artificial rules and unrealistic time/equipment expectations gets old very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:siren: New thread required :siren:

• Locked thread