Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
respect the cock. its probbly the only movie i cry in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
I don't remember anything about that movie except the end where it's just 15 minutes of people crying and dramatic music

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
its no roadhouse if that's what youre asking

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's a pretty good movie but I wouldn't consider it the greatest of all time, no.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
steel magnolias is hard as gently caress

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i actually watched it this week and while its okay its far from my favourite pta movie

its cool how tom cruise manages to always be charming even if he plays a total rear end in a top hat

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

BigwigML posted:

I don't remember anything about that movie except the end where it's just 15 minutes of people crying and dramatic music
Tom Cruise mra pua man was funny for a few minutes

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's pretty good OP.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
i remember it raining frogs. that was pretty cool. that's it though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
John C. Reilly's emotional breakdown at the end when he loses his gun doesn't get enough credit for how funny it is

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

haha no. are you 16?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

some good acting, but it's overwrought

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
and it's noooot. goiing tooooo stooooooop!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen it, OP.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's a great movie, someone comes in and calls it the equivalent of pretentious. Lmao slam dunk. Gonna make an 8 1/2 thread so I can see more retards post poo poo.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

i actually like some of magnolia, but man that singing scene is the worst

what the hell

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sir John Feelgood posted:

i actually like some of magnolia, but man that singing scene is the worst

what the hell

Owns. Suck lemons.
Blast my rear end until I die.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

It's a great movie, someone comes in and calls it the equivalent of pretentious. Lmao slam dunk. Gonna make an 8 1/2 thread so I can see more retards post poo poo.
its not a great movie. i dont want to use the word pretentious because when you call something pretentious everyone just assumes you're a cretin who can't sit still for art or something, but sure i'll say it: magnolia is extremely pretentious.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

JebanyPedal posted:

it isnt pretentious its dumb and a teenagers idea of art

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'm Crap posted:

it isnt pretentious its dumb and a teenagers idea of art
i agree, but its also pretentious in the sense of being a poor imitation of seriousness

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
it was ok but i think they were trying way too hard to make it meaningful or something

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

EllisD posted:

steel magnolias is hard as gently caress

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Pitdragon posted:

it was ok but i think they were trying way too hard to make it meaningful or something

It's a rollicking, highly watchable ride from beginning to end. Pretensions are when a movie lays claim to something it doesn't actually offer

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
PTA is really good but Magnolia is actually one of his worse movies. Hard 8, Boogie Nights, and TWBB are all much better. Punch Drunk Love is probably a better movie on a number of levels.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
The only good things about the movie were Tom Cruise's character and that plotline about that newscaster being in love with braces guy.

The opening narration by the smug cop tells you it's going to be garbage unless you're watching it in film class in high school (even then I thought it was dumb, but there were kids that were like "dude that's so deep/crazy" at the series of dumb coincidences).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Magnolia is easily the biggest (and really only) turd in PTA's oeuvre. Instead of trying to do a more intimate cinematic portraiture which is what film snobs love about PTA because it loans itself to endless dissection and what he usually does, he tried to say something and he did it in that really insufferable late 90s pre 9/11 (:911:) mold where the answer to life the universe and everything was inside of us all along and the Millennium was going to usher in a new Digital Age of Wonders and movies like this were a thesis statement on humanity up to that point. I wouldn't call it pretentious as much as I'd call it exceedingly arrogant.

Some good moments, great acting, and of course phenomenal technical skills on display though. That plus the fact that 9/11 (:911:) was 2 years away managed to mask how badly that movie was going to (and has) aged in terms of thesis. It's like when Fight Club has Tyler Durden talking about how all the men of his generation are so angry and hosed up because they're bored and neutered by corporate culture and there is no great war and they'll never be rich, and you look at it from a 2014 perspective and even knowing that the movie isn't endorsing Tyler's worldview it's also like "you guys have no clue how good you have it right now." Office Space suffers from this problem as well.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 3, 2014

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58Id-qTgHQ

this is something that happens

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Magnolia is easily the biggest (and really only) turd in PTA's oeuvre. Instead of trying to do a more intimate cinematic portraiture which is what film snobs love about PTA because it loans itself to endless dissection and what he usually does, he tried to say something and he did it in that really insufferable late 90s pre 9/11 (:911:) mold where the answer to life the universe and everything was inside of us all along and the Millennium was going to usher in a new Digital Age of Wonders and movies like this were a thesis statement on humanity up to that point. I wouldn't call it pretentious as much as I'd call it exceedingly arrogant.

Some good moments, great acting, and of course phenomenal technical skills on display though. That plus the fact that 9/11 (:911:) was 2 years away managed to mask how badly that movie was going to (and has) aged in terms of thesis. It's like when Fight Club has Tyler Durden talking about how all the men of his generation are so angry and hosed up because they're bored and neutered by corporate culture and there is no great war and they'll never be rich, and you look at it from a 2014 perspective and even knowing that the movie isn't endorsing Tyler's worldview it's also like "you guys have no clue how good you have it right now."

i think it time to move on from 9/11. In 2014 if you still care about it you are a big baby and you're attitudes perpetuate drone warfare

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's a rollicking, highly watchable ride from beginning to end. Pretensions are when a movie lays claim to something it doesn't actually offer
dog North by Northwest is a "rollicking, highly watchable ride", Magnolia is white people cathartically sobbing to the plaintive tones of Aimee Mann for three (!) hours

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Not even the best PTA movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

i think it time to move on from 9/11. In 2014 if you still care about it you are a big baby and you're attitudes perpetuate drone warfare

So you're saying this is Bush's fault or Obama's fault I'm confused can I have a flowchart?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
No OP. The answer is no.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Follow up. The best movie ever made is The Godfather Pt. 2. Tyvm.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Follow up. The best movie ever made is The Godfather Pt. 2. Tyvm.

its bad. too many epics are considered great cinema. they're boring and are the reason some people dont like old movies. watch lolita, night of the hunter, 12 angry men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Seriously, hell has been raised, buried, raised again and automated through drone warfare. I am thinking the point has been made that loving with us has consequences.

Really.

• Locked thread