Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I don't think anyone in here thinks the driver is a Cool Dude

The post I was originally referring to called Drive "a nerd's dream" and Only God Forgives a nightmare. My argument is that they're both actually nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
As an aside did anyone else watch the rescoring of Drive the BBC did a few months ago?

Personally I felt it wasn't bad, I hadn't been too optimistic about it but it certainly worked. The main issue I had was, perhaps due to each band only working on one scene, was that the songs were very clearly about the surface events in each scene rather than anything deeper or more overarching themes. Certainly an interesting experiment though and it would be really cool to see the BBC use its resources and clout to attempt this for other films.

More details here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3pxp0-9Es
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2M7xfhDYK4f9MDfBbR5zxHj/radio-1-rescores-drive

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...huh. This could be interesting.

e: Or it could be really really goddamn creepy. 16-year-old actress who has been in exactly two good movies in her entire (bizarrely prolific) career suddenly gets noticed by arthouse director who is also a weirdo goonlord IRL? Sound a little familiar?

First, you're dumb.

Second, Elle Fanning has been the best thing in at least one of those movies. This casting sounds great to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

My original point was that the Driver isn't a nerd wet dream in the context of the film, but idiot nerds miss that and want to emulate him. Despite the fact that there is basically nothing about him that is actually desirable. He's a god drat weirdo who, even if he wasn't responsible for Standards death, is 100% responsible for Bryan Cranston's death by involving himself in any of this to begin with, and he's not the kind of guy anyone with any sense at all would want to be like.

quote:

My original point was that the Driver isn't a nerd wet dream in the context of the film,
No one has disagreed with this.

quote:

but idiot nerds miss that and want to emulate him.
And this is everyone else's point, hence

quote:

Drive is the nerd's dream
If you'd like other examples of audiences missing the point, look into how people reacted to Clockwork Orange, Fight Club and No Country for Old Men.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

No one has disagreed with this.

And this is everyone else's point, hence

If you'd like other examples of audiences missing the point, look into how people reacted to Clockwork Orange, Fight Club and No Country for Old Men.

The original post I was replying to read more to me like it's actually you know, good. A dreamlike scenario. Something that people would want to emulate. Not that they'd only want to emulate it if they completely missed the point.

But this discussion about reading posts, context, and misunderstandings on the internet is probably not super interesting so why don't we all just agree we're saying the same thing, something just got wonky in how we said it, and move on to something else?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Periodiko posted:

I thought Bronson has a sense of psychopathic glee and fun that isn't present in his other work, and makes it more accessible as a consequence. Bronson seems to revel in being Bronson, and the story is told from his point of view. He even has that whole delightful framing device one-man show thing going on. It's also really funny - large parts of it are basically black comedy.

I love Bronson best of all the Refn movies because of its indictment of rigid penitentiary systems. It's hilarious to see how they heap punishment after punishment on him and completely miss that that is what's actually encouraging him. Bronson is great and frightening for having turned punishment into a form of reward.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Different people interpret a movie in different ways based on their cultural upbringing. Not everyone can identify with a introverted quiet guy who kills without showing any emotion, but most nerds can identify with the introverted quiet part of the character and then gain enjoyment from fantasizing about the emotionless killer part. There is also stuff like Valhalla Rising where if you are from a scandinavian country you can draw meaning from a lot of stuff in the movie that someone from the USA would have no idea about because of the large difference in culture.

The driver is a standard character he is the least interesting part of the movie. His story arc is completely predictable but he is so extremely well acted and believeable. You feel sorry for him you never want to be him because everything about him is tragic. He is already dead when the movie starts everything around him dies, everything turns to poo poo for him and he knows it before it happens but he still goes along with everything. It just hits you everywhere: eyes, ears and in the gut. I value a movie's ability to produce an emotional reaction in me over everything else and this is just the perfect storm of cheesy thrills and tragedy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

There is also stuff like Valhalla Rising where if you are from a scandinavian country you can draw meaning from a lot of stuff in the movie that someone from the USA would have no idea about because of the large difference in culture.

Is that what was happening? I actually saw this movie premier in TIFF (with Refn speaking, as you would guess, in cargo shorts) and I found myself disappointed by it. I mean, I respect how dream-like it got, especially by the end, but I didn't find myself entertained or emotionally tickled per se. Drive did that in spades, and it's the reason why its my favorite movie of his (its soooo good), and why I don't particularily favor Only God Forgives (I loved parts of it, anything to do with the cops though, like the Thai's themselves might feel, I thought the western cast to be almost invasive in terms of the joys to be gained from diving into that world). Bronson is the tits though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
OGF is a movie, like Valhalla Rising, that grows on you.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I don't think anyone in here thinks the driver is a Cool Dude

he drives a really cool car

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Slashfilm posted some more info on casting and some plot info. Warning though, I read the blurb about the role she plays and I kind of wish I didn't, it seems pretty spoiler-y, hopefully I'm wrong though and it's just a minor bit of craziness. On the other hand it's making me really excited for this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/neon-demon-plot-abbey-lee/

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I only knew the movie was called drive and had this handsome young actor called ryan gosling in it. Going into it blind made it for me

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

trip9 posted:

Slashfilm posted some more info on casting and some plot info. Warning though, I read the blurb about the role she plays and I kind of wish I didn't, it seems pretty spoiler-y, hopefully I'm wrong though and it's just a minor bit of craziness. On the other hand it's making me really excited for this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/neon-demon-plot-abbey-lee/

Sounds loving insane. Can't wait.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Guys, Nicolas Winding Refn is pronounced "Nicolas Vinding Refn". You can say Refn with a French style R if you want. Peace.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
So, Keanu Reeves and Christina Hendricks joins the cast...

http://variety.com/2015/film/global/keanu-reeves-christina-hendricks-join-cast-of-nicolas-refns-the-neon-demon-1201424819/

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I'm getting really, really excited for this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This movie sounds loving fantastic, why did I not hear about it at all before this thread? :stare:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really looking forward to it, even though that one article most likely spoiled the ending.

My first Refn film was Drive, as I'm sure it was for many of us. Since then I've come to view him as one of my favorite directors, whom I've seen nearly every film of (haven't seen Fear X and haven't finished watching Valhalla Rising).

I was wondering if anyone else here has seen Bleeder and what you thought of it.
I feel it's an interesting movie of his, but I rarely see it being discussed when people bring up Refn.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Swartz posted:

I was wondering if anyone else here has seen Bleeder and what you thought of it.
I feel it's an interesting movie of his, but I rarely see it being discussed when people bring up Refn.

The only NWR movies I haven't seen are Fear X and Bleeder, but I plan on watching them both. The Bleeder synopsis sounds great though, I think that's next on my list.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Looks like this is being shot in 60 fps... I don't know how I feel about that, though couldn't it potentially just be for a slo-mo shot?

http://www.finalreel.co.uk/nicolas-winding-refn-the-neon-demon-60-frames-per-second/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Being Danish I grew up alongside Refn's career when stuff like Pusher and Bleeder were in the theatres in the 90s but honestly I couldn't stand those films at the time and it wasn't until Drive that I really appreciated his work. I've always been hesitant to watch those films again.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Being Danish I grew up alongside Refn's career when stuff like Pusher and Bleeder were in the theatres in the 90s but honestly I couldn't stand those films at the time and it wasn't until Drive that I really appreciated his work. I've always been hesitant to watch those films again.

The Pusher films hold up really well, especially 2 and 3. I still haven't seen Bleeder or Fear X yet though.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Valhalla Rising is my favorite movie.

Refn is my favorite director.

OGF, Drive, etc. etc. all fantastic

I will see Neon Demon, peace.

[edited bc i was swooning over gosling too quickly]

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 15, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

-S- posted:

Place Beyond the Pines

Not Refn.

edit: or was this a joke, in which case got me

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

-S- posted:

Valhalla Rising is my favorite movie.

Refn is my favorite director.

OGF, Drive, Place Beyond the Pines, etc. etc. all fantastic

I will see Neon Demon, peace.

Refn has nothing to do with Place Beyond the Pines though?

e:f,b

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

flashy_mcflash posted:

Refn has nothing to do with Place Beyond the Pines though?

e:f,b

i'm an idiot and was typing gosling movies fast because just thinking about him threw me into a tizzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

trip9 posted:

Looks like this is being shot in 60 fps... I don't know how I feel about that, though couldn't it potentially just be for a slo-mo shot?

http://www.finalreel.co.uk/nicolas-winding-refn-the-neon-demon-60-frames-per-second/

Yeah they're really jumping to conclusions. You'd just slate any overcranked shot like that.

• Locked thread