Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwny
Nov 6, 2014
Hey guys. Totally new to the forums and totally new to video game capturing.

I decided to start capturing and editing my video game playtime and upload it all on YouTube, if only to increase my internet usage footprint and also maybe to learn a bit about video editing/rendering along the way.

Here's a link to the first game I decided to play out of sheer nostalgia and cause it was just recently the spooooky month of October:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9SP4lN0TIjyo7JqtvqR0qW3PmDhNI0ZN

I title the series The Long Take since each episode is essentially one, unbroken "long take." This pretty much implies each chapter in the game is done with a single life attempt, and my goal is also to complete each chapter within 45 min similar to TV show runtimes. There is no audio commentary, partly because I felt the game was so cinematic that I didn't want to take any attention away from it. I did add textual narratives in the perspective of Isaac, just to add a bit of artistic license and also to fill in gaps where gameplay action was low. I incorporated all the text logs found in the game as text to read while playback occurs as well.

All the episodes can be streamed at 1080p, and the final 2 episodes will be featured in 1080p60. I wish I captured and rendered the entire game in 60fps, but when I started I was using iMovie because it was so easy and intuitive. I've since switched to KDEnlive to render videos in 60fps.

Every chapter in the game is ready to watch except for the final which I have yet to complete.

I already saw that this game was in the Let's Play archives, however the links were broken for me. I figured this game should have a high quality playthrough out there somewhere, considering how great the story and pacing is.

Feedback is definitely welcome, and I hope to share more with you guys soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

pwnd

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
You should probably read the LP Rules thread. It looks like you already did this whole LP, but this forum is for ones in progress. Also, use the Sandcastle and learn about doing OP's. Yours isn't really formatted at all.

Take a look around the stickied threads before starting an LP, is what I'm saying. There's even an ongoing Dead Space thread you could look at.

pwny
Nov 6, 2014
I didn't mean to overstep someone else's playthrough...I thought I had searched through to see if it was even being played again and I guess I overlooked it. I'll probably pick up the platinum upgrade I guess to better find active games once I scrounge up enough dough.

I'm a noob so your lingo is weird to me...but I did go read through the Tech Support Fort and The Let's Play Sandcastle thread and I guess it didn't occur to me that this forum was for active games, my mistake.

It kinda is still active, but I think I know what you mean...I am kinda throwing my videos out here into this community without seeing if there was a demand for it. I kinda was just throwing myself into this hobby, I dunno.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, more people doing LPs of the same game isn't an issue and neither is demand, but it feels to me that you kind of managed to skip the thread they intended you to read: THE RULES THREAD IN ALLCAPS SO EVERYONE NOTICES THE GODDAMN THING.
edit: To clarify, he told you to look at the ongoing LP to get some inspiration on how to get yours in order.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I'm glad you figured out how to register for the forums, but I wish you'd figured out how to lurk and read rules, also.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I dunno, cut the dude some slack. He's not responding like a giant flaming cock so he's already better than most newbies.

pwny, once you read through the rules threads and get some feedback I think you'll understand, but the rule about 'No completed LP's' is to protect us from the dreaded Youtube Link Dump, where a guy signs up for the forums and drops 90 links to an already completed Let's Play. They always suck, they don't allow for forum/viewer interaction, and they can't be improved upon because they're already finished.

Personally I really like watching certain videogames with no commentary, doubly so in 1080p 60fps. I'll watch yours when I have some time :)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Didn't we already do this

pwny
Nov 6, 2014
Apologies once again...

Lurking is hard to do because I try to keep myself pretty busy and you know as you get older time kinda passes by much faster. It may seem like a petty excuse, but existentialism is heavy, man.

I was just looking for an outlet to share my playthroughs, and I honestly couldn't tell from the rules from the different pages I read that posting this was inherently against the culture of this subforum.

As I said before, I already looked to see if there was a Dead Space playthrough archived but it seemed to have been taken down on my end by all of the video sites hosting it.

I was just hoping to fill in the gap, and I am sorry I didn't interact with the community initially when I was inspired to do it. I mean no disrespect, I just wanted to contribute.

I would love for my next game to be more in tune with what the community wants, so hopefully this will be the start of it.

I have to be honest and admit that I was aiming to create playthroughs with a cinematic vibe and restricted to times and pacings that are easily digestible. For instance, for my playthroughs I've sped up the scenes where I'm either in the menu checking on my items or at a store or bench managing my inventory because I figured most gamers/viewers care more for the action and story than the micromanagement. I guess what I'm saying is I do have some biases in how I envision these playthroughs to be, at least what makes it enjoyable to my personal tastes.

I'll still complete the final chapter just because I'm already there, even though I've pretty much died on the final battle every single attempt thus far.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

pwny posted:

Apologies once again...

Lurking is hard to do because I try to keep myself pretty busy and you know as you get older time kinda passes by much faster. It may seem like a petty excuse, but existentialism is heavy, man.

I'm with ya man. Steely Dan said it best in the song "reelin' in the years."

necroid
May 14, 2009

pwny posted:

Apologies once again...

I was just looking for an outlet to share my playthroughs, and I honestly couldn't tell from the rules from the different pages I read that posting this was inherently against the culture of this subforum.

As I said before, I already looked to see if there was a Dead Space playthrough archived but it seemed to have been taken down on my end by all of the video sites hosting it.

I was just hoping to fill in the gap, and I am sorry I didn't interact with the community initially when I was inspired to do it. I mean no disrespect, I just wanted to contribute.

I would love for my next game to be more in tune with what the community wants, so hopefully this will be the start of it.

I have to be honest and admit that I was aiming to create playthroughs with a cinematic vibe and restricted to times and pacings that are easily digestible. For instance, for my playthroughs I've sped up the scenes where I'm either in the menu checking on my items or at a store or bench managing my inventory because I figured most gamers/viewers care more for the action and story than the micromanagement. I guess what I'm saying is I do have some biases in how I envision these playthroughs to be, at least what makes it enjoyable to my personal tastes.

I'll still complete the final chapter just because I'm already there, even though I've pretty much died on the final battle every single attempt thus far.

Wow you sound kinda blue, are you sure LPing is the right thing for you to do right now?

pwny
Nov 6, 2014

necroid posted:

Wow you sound kinda blue, are you sure LPing is the right thing for you to do right now?

Haha, thanks for the concern man, but I'm not depressed or really blue or anything of that sort. I'm a pretty fortunate dude living in America so it's hard to come up with any reasonable complaints. It's a luxury that I'm able to obsess about time and existence and life.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, since you seem to be just mildly illiterate as opposed to completely stupid, I'll make an heroic last effort.
0.READ THE loving RULES THERE AREN'T THAT MANY.
1. Your choice of game or editing or direction don't really matter. No one cares if a game has been done dozen times, no one cares if there's five running LPs of it. And if they do, screw them.
2. Trying to make videos that'd be enjoyable to watch is something that's generally viewed in positive light, though. I'm not sure whether anyone's interested in watching a commentary-less run but worst case scenario it'll get ignored.
3. The idea behind the LP thread is that you post updates on a schedule, giving the folks here time to discuss the game and updates in the meantime. Hence the general disgust about youtube dumps where someone just throws in an entire playhthrough at once - there's no point in a thread that way.
4. A somewhat connected issue: just posting a finished playlist here implies that you don't care about the discussion, see point 3, or your viewer, see point 2. Frankly, it smells of just trying to get traffic for your channel, in which case it might be a good idea to realize that this is a relatively small community not very likely to turn you into a ad venue millionaire.

pwny
Nov 6, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, since you seem to be just mildly illiterate as opposed to completely stupid, I'll make an heroic last effort.
0.READ THE loving RULES THERE AREN'T THAT MANY.
1. Your choice of game or editing or direction don't really matter. No one cares if a game has been done dozen times, no one cares if there's five running LPs of it. And if they do, screw them.
2. Trying to make videos that'd be enjoyable to watch is something that's generally viewed in positive light, though. I'm not sure whether anyone's interested in watching a commentary-less run but worst case scenario it'll get ignored.
3. The idea behind the LP thread is that you post updates on a schedule, giving the folks here time to discuss the game and updates in the meantime. Hence the general disgust about youtube dumps where someone just throws in an entire playhthrough at once - there's no point in a thread that way.
4. A somewhat connected issue: just posting a finished playlist here implies that you don't care about the discussion, see point 3, or your viewer, see point 2. Frankly, it smells of just trying to get traffic for your channel, in which case it might be a good idea to realize that this is a relatively small community not very likely to turn you into a ad venue millionaire.

Yo man I appreciate the help, but I did read the rules and it never explicitly stated that these LPs were active playthroughs. The link you gave me defines LPs as "video game playthroughs documented or recorded for the internet, usually with commentary." I know that definition is loose and there's more to it, but as an initial noob I took it that my attempt was acceptable.

I'm not trying to argue or anything, only trying to learn the culture here as quickly as possible. So thanks for clarifying things for me.

I got into this on a whim after building a new computer, and I've been having a blast since I've never video edited too. It's just been a really fun experience for me that offers tangible skills to learn.

Really sorry about the dumping stigma, I kinda really wish I wasn't so far into the game now. I actually prided myself that I was almost done with it, but yah know that's just foolish excitement over doing something I didn't completely understand. I'd actually offer up to replay my run if the community cared, maybe do it in Impossible with one life? Definitely would capture/edit/render in 1080p60fps just cause it's just a fun new format to play around with.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

pwny posted:

Yo man I appreciate the help, but I did read the rules and it never explicitly stated that these LPs were active playthroughs. The link you gave me defines LPs as "video game playthroughs documented or recorded for the internet, usually with commentary." I know that definition is loose and there's more to it, but as an initial noob I took it that my attempt was acceptable.

I'm not trying to argue or anything, only trying to learn the culture here as quickly as possible. So thanks for clarifying things for me.

I got into this on a whim after building a new computer, and I've been having a blast since I've never video edited too. It's just been a really fun experience for me that offers tangible skills to learn.

Really sorry about the dumping stigma, I kinda really wish I wasn't so far into the game now. I actually prided myself that I was almost done with it, but yah know that's just foolish excitement over doing something I didn't completely understand. I'd actually offer up to replay my run if the community cared, maybe do it in Impossible with one life? Definitely would capture/edit/render in 1080p60fps just cause it's just a fun new format to play around with.
I wouldn't sweat people so much; we can be bullies around here at times and people like discussion here and joking and having a good time. It's good that you're having fun with it and wanting to show it off, and in the end that's what matters most. If you are interested though, the Dead Space 1 LP that is in the archives is still very much viewable but people seem to overlook that fact: https://archive.org/details/LP_Dead_Space

Still commentary does help explain what's going on in the game, and while Dead Space can be tense and cinematic....it also does need a little help in explaining mechanics, weapons, and all that jazz. That's why long plays can be good for some things but not for all things.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
Hmm I think op should get the benefit of the doubt, sure it's a youtube dump but the LP itself seems pretty inoffensive and I think it fits in with what people generally look for from this type of game.

OP, spend a bit of time reading/watching LPs here to get a feel for how this place works. In particular people like to post & interact in the thread after each update, rather than have them all at once. The Sandcastle can help you with getting some feedback on an LP before you start it, and fine tune some other stuff like the OP (not that that's particularly important really).

pwny posted:

I'd actually offer up to replay my run if the community cared, maybe do it in Impossible with one life? Definitely would capture/edit/render in 1080p60fps just cause it's just a fun new format to play around with.

Yeah you could give this a go, or just do a different game :)

pwny
Nov 6, 2014

Niggurath posted:

I wouldn't sweat people so much; we can be bullies around here at times and people like discussion here and joking and having a good time. It's good that you're having fun with it and wanting to show it off, and in the end that's what matters most. If you are interested though, the Dead Space 1 LP that is in the archives is still very much viewable but people seem to overlook that fact: https://archive.org/details/LP_Dead_Space

Still commentary does help explain what's going on in the game, and while Dead Space can be tense and cinematic....it also does need a little help in explaining mechanics, weapons, and all that jazz. That's why long plays can be good for some things but not for all things.

Thanks for the link dude! And also I think you're the guy that did the DS2 LPs if my memory serves from searching the archives?
I used this site to browse and look and as I said all the links there were broken (at least the many I tried): http://lparchive.org/Dead-Space/

In terms of commentary, I genuinely considered doing it. After playing through the game for nostalgia (before I decided to do a play capture of single life attempts on each chapter), I noticed that the in game textual or audio information was (to me at least) sufficiently informative. Besides the amazing graphics and soundtrack to the game, I was always impressed with its interface and positioning of abilities to illustrate the gameplay in an intuitive manner.

But, as I said, I did add some textual narratives rendered into the gameplay captures that convey my feelings as if I were Isaac. In retrospect, I should have added Isaac's commentary that is displayed in the menu, but I sooooo overlooked that detail since I never spent too much time in the menu even during my initial playthough.

I'm not opposed to doing audio commentary, but for what I wanted to do was I guess allow people to experience the game as much as possible without interference. I know that people should and would probably just play the game itself for what I'm offering, but from my experience many gamers or people interested in games might be too fearful to play it to completion. It's something I can relate to, thinking back to 3rd grade when Dark Forces was out and how I never was able to pass through that 3rd level in the sewers cause of fear of the unknown. It's really silly to me to think that I wasn't able to play a game cause I was scared, but I had that mindset long ago.

I suppose this attempt was a way to transform this "game" into an episodic "show" where you can enjoy the story and action if horror is your type of thing. I've sort of gravitated away from cinema horror because it doesn't excite me as much as video game/interactive horror. I'm ashamed to say that I don't really get scared when playing games anymore, but whenever I do get frightened I relish that amazing excitement.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

pwny posted:

Thanks for the link dude! And also I think you're the guy that did the DS2 LPs if my memory serves from searching the archives?
I used this site to browse and look and as I said all the links there were broken (at least the many I tried): http://lparchive.org/Dead-Space/

In terms of commentary, I genuinely considered doing it. After playing through the game for nostalgia (before I decided to do a play capture of single life attempts on each chapter), I noticed that the in game textual or audio information was (to me at least) sufficiently informative. Besides the amazing graphics and soundtrack to the game, I was always impressed with its interface and positioning of abilities to illustrate the gameplay in an intuitive manner.

But, as I said, I did add some textual narratives rendered into the gameplay captures that convey my feelings as if I were Isaac. In retrospect, I should have added Isaac's commentary that is displayed in the menu, but I sooooo overlooked that detail since I never spent too much time in the menu even during my initial playthough.

I'm not opposed to doing audio commentary, but for what I wanted to do was I guess allow people to experience the game as much as possible without interference. I know that people should and would probably just play the game itself for what I'm offering, but from my experience many gamers or people interested in games might be too fearful to play it to completion. It's something I can relate to, thinking back to 3rd grade when Dark Forces was out and how I never was able to pass through that 3rd level in the sewers cause of fear of the unknown. It's really silly to me to think that I wasn't able to play a game cause I was scared, but I had that mindset long ago.

I suppose this attempt was a way to transform this "game" into an episodic "show" where you can enjoy the story and action if horror is your type of thing. I've sort of gravitated away from cinema horror because it doesn't excite me as much as video game/interactive horror. I'm ashamed to say that I don't really get scared when playing games anymore, but whenever I do get frightened I relish that amazing excitement.

You sound like you're into it, which is good. Don't worry about it too much. Just hang out and learn the sort of "etiquette" and way people do LPs here, and try again if you want with a different game. Show your first update in the Sandcastle, get some advice, and you'll be on your way to making threads just fine.

Most of the usual eyerolling that comes at new people coming in and posting a thread without really getting the hang of the way it works is because a lot of them are wannabe YouTube superstars, screaming over footage of Amnesia for the 100th time or something, but you seem fine, just misinterpreted the rules a bit. Just work on the post format, do an ongoing LP instead of a Youtube dump (Which means posting an already in progress or mostly completed LP), and it should work out fine. I like the narrative text idea for Dead Space, but like Niggurath said, maybe have some mechanics explanation as well, for example. (Use a different font or something to separate it from the rest if you can.)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

pwny posted:

There's a banner at the top of the page linking to where the videos are hosted on the internet archives. Don't feel bad about missing it, everyone always does.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

pwny posted:

I'm not opposed to doing audio commentary, but for what I wanted to do was I guess allow people to experience the game as much as possible without interference.

Honestly, it's entirely a taste thing. Lots of people like LPs with minimal commentary, particularly for an atmospheric game. The only real no-no is the one people have been beating you over the head with, link-dumping. Other than that (and certain styles of 'net speek'), you can mostly do what you like. If people don't enjoy it, they won't watch, but they mostly won't be jerks about it.

Personally, for instance, I'm averse to picking up a video LP that's already started, because I don't have loads and loads of free hours to sink into something. I can manage 20 minutes here and there though, so I don't mind starting out with a new VLP.

Welcome to Goondom!

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

pwny posted:

You could always do something similar to DumbRodent's very excellent Outlast LP if you want to be minimal and it's the closest thing I can think of to what you might want, here's a link! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638962&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

His OP is also pretty great if you want ideas for those.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Octolady posted:

You could always do something similar to DumbRodent's very excellent Outlast LP if you want to be minimal and it's the closest thing I can think of to what you might want, here's a link! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638962&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

His OP is also pretty great if you want ideas for those.

Yeah. Just about everything regarding DumbRodent's Outlast LP is great.

pwny
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to look into this Outlast LP today.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have something to run past the Sandcastle to start working on next week.

I had a very intense workflow of trying to complete videos within days of one another before, so I'll need to slow my roll I suppose.

Considering how my knowledge on dead space is fresh, I may also silently reboot my attempt at a Dead Space playthrough to be 1080p 60fps for the entire game and also to include all textual story elements from Isaac's perspective (his commentary on objectives) that I overlooked this time around, maybe in Impossible mode if I'm feeling up to it. Basically my OCD is kicking in to make a better "more complete" effort. I only wish I had twice the bandwidth to save time on uploading all these gigabytes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

pwny posted:

Yo man I appreciate the help, but I did read the rules and it never explicitly stated that these LPs were active playthroughs.

Hmm, let's check the rules thread real quick..

The rules Thread posted:

• Don’t dump or re-post previously-completed LPs.
    Barring a high-quality LP, posting a finished LP is frowned upon.

Yep, it's there. Literacy is hard, but the first step is admitting there's a problem and seeking help.

• Locked thread