Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The one bad thing about silent realms for me is that you cant revisit them to get more dusk relics until later.

And im a big fan of getting upgrades as early as possible so that ticked me off.

Yeah, I don't like that either. It's especially weird because the gate you use to enter the silent realms stays in place.

Why can't I just thrust my sword in there and go back!? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, I had no idea there were that many dusk relics just sitting around waiting for you. That's pretty neat.

Also I think these trials are kind of giving you the "dungeon items" for the overworld.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

In this episode we arrive in Lake Floria, one of the nicest areas in the entire game. Of course, as soon as we arrive we find someone in dire need of help. Oh dear! :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:eng101: The enemy Zoras present in Link to the Past and other 2D games are River Zora, while the friendly and more familiar Zoras introduced in Ocarina of Time are Ocean Zoras. They're technically different races of Zora.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

:eng101: The enemy Zoras present in Link to the Past and other 2D games are River Zora, while the friendly and more familiar Zoras introduced in Ocarina of Time are Ocean Zoras. They're technically different races of Zora.

Which actually doesn't make sense when you think about it, because in both OoT and TP, those 'Ocean Zoras' are still hanging around in that river running smack dab through the middle of Hyrule. The only time you ever see them in the ocean is in Majora's Mask.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

KieranWalker posted:

Which actually doesn't make sense when you think about it, because in both OoT and TP, those 'Ocean Zoras' are still hanging around in that river running smack dab through the middle of Hyrule. The only time you ever see them in the ocean is in Majora's Mask.
Also in Oracle of Ages, where the term River Zora is first brought up

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The name 'ocean Zora' was introduced in Oracle of Ages IIRC. Because that game was the only ones that had both types. And there, they did live in the ocean.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Maybe they are different, but I'm pretty sure there was Gorons in Link to the Past. They were enemies on Death Mountain, and would annoyingly turn to stone on you.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Panzerschwein posted:

Maybe they are different, but I'm pretty sure there was Gorons in Link to the Past. They were enemies on Death Mountain, and would annoyingly turn to stone on you.

Gorons first appeared in Ocarina of Time so you must be thinking of something else.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Panzerschwein posted:

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Deadrock is what you're thinking of.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Can we just agree that all Zoras are evil fish women unless otherwise stated?

Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to take the whole ocean/river Zora thing to heart when it's a concept invented by Capcom.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

I stand corrected, this is exactly what I had in mind. Funny, I don't remember the little wings on them.

Though I suppose that for any game with a rolling boulder in it we could pretend it's a Goron.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Panzerschwein posted:

I stand corrected, this is exactly what I had in mind. Funny, I don't remember the little wings on them.

Though I suppose that for any game with a rolling boulder in it we could pretend it's a Goron.
Oracle of Ages/Seasons take place in the same era as LTTP, so obviously all the Gorons fled to Labrynna and Holodrum after the Hero of Time proved such a failure.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
The Dwarves were the first race in Middle-Earth, but only because one of the angels created them rather than Iluvatar who created Men and Elves. Elves were supposed to be the first created, so Iluvatar made the angel seal them away in a sleep to have them reawaken after the Elves were made.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I hope you're all excited for some more deep-dungeon action! You better be, because this dungeon deserves it. It's arguably the coolest looking dungeon in the whole game, so feast your eyes!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

JordanKai posted:

This is what I meant about these new dungeons having architectural purposes - and this one doubles as a parable!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is the best temple.

There is a sore lack of spin attacks in the LP.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I dunno, a Zelda platformer on its own is probably a bad idea but I'd be down for a proper Zelda Metroidvania-type game.

It kinda looked like the Stalmaster expected you to stab him when he was blocking all four angles and charging that attack.

And I could be wrong but I feel like you can use the whip like the grapple hook in Wind Waker and steal items off of enemies with it, which would be a good non-context-based use for it. But I really can't remember if that was in this game or not.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
You probably can stab Stalmaster during his charge up attack, but parrying it seemed to give an opening for 2 hits instead of 1, so it's a better option I guess?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wild Knight posted:

And I could be wrong but I feel like you can use the whip like the grapple hook in Wind Waker and steal items off of enemies with it, which would be a good non-context-based use for it. But I really can't remember if that was in this game or not.

It is, but limited.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Alternate title: Cistern, Cistern

Anyway, if we're going to say Zelda 2 wasn't a very good game, I'd like to point you in the direction of Zelda 1, which was also a garbage game, with the only difference being the fact that it's the original game that everything after 2 used the base formula for. They both sucked and they both did what they were trying to do for the first time. Nintendo only chose to revisit the first one and make it suck less.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You CAN upgrade the Sacred Shield twice, but why would you want to? The Divine version is the coolest looking shield in the game (and the second upgrade is kinda hideous in my opinion).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

You probably can stab Stalmaster during his charge up attack, but parrying it seemed to give an opening for 2 hits instead of 1, so it's a better option I guess?

If memory serves me right you actually can't stab him while he's doing that attack. Pretty weird, I know.

KieranWalker posted:

You CAN upgrade the Sacred Shield twice, but why would you want to? The Divine version is the coolest looking shield in the game (and the second upgrade is kinda hideous in my opinion).

Oh dear, I guess you're in for a disappointment in a few videos. :(

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Make Link faceplant again and I'll forget all about it. :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You guys were wrong about what makes the whip not the best item in the game. The reason is that the whip used in the exploration of ancient ruins did not in fact, come with a leather jacket and matching fedora. If it came with the ability to become Indiana Link I would have the whip out at all times possible, regardless of if it was ever used for a puzzle again.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time :siren:

Today we're going to discover what horrors lie beneath the Ancient Cistern. Also, we're going to fight one of the most :black101: bosses this side of a Platinum Games title!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Stalagmite's got an M in it.

The discussion about "what is an RPG" has been going on ever since people realised that JRPGs aren't the same as western RPGs; Zelda's an action RPG.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Besides the enemy weapon gimmick, there's also the dungeon item. The whip is almost identical to the grappling hook in Wind Waker.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

frozentreasure posted:

Stalagmite's got an M in it.

The discussion about "what is an RPG" has been going on ever since people realised that JRPGs aren't the same as western RPGs; Zelda's an action RPG.

Aren't they Action-Adventure games?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Aren't they Action-Adventure games?

That's an annoying pigeonhole genre; it casts such a wide net that it loses meaning; both Shadow of the Colossus and Zelda games could be classed as Action-Adventure, despite being worlds apart.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

frozentreasure posted:

That's an annoying pigeonhole genre; it casts such a wide net that it loses meaning; both Shadow of the Colossus and Zelda games could be classed as Action-Adventure, despite being worlds apart.

Then what makes Zelda games an RPG?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In that vein of thought Diablo is consistently classed an action RPG, but is nothing like a Zelda game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Fair enough, but I still maintain that there's a better way to classify Zelda than Action-Adventure.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

A genre isn't that strictly defined by how similar everything is to one another, just by what it's composed of.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I hope you're all excited for some more deep-dungeon action! You better be, because this dungeon deserves it. It's arguably the coolest looking dungeon in the whole game, so feast your eyes!

For Dex, the arrow missed the shield but the shield blocked it anyway. It looked cool as gently caress though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, as much as Skyward Sword rubbed me the wrong way in general, I really liked this dungeon and this boss. If only the rest of the game had been that cool (although there were other moments I did enjoy, admittedly--just none quite as much as this one).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry, but I'll have to skip this episode, because I'm Koloktos intolerant.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

I gotta say, as much as Skyward Sword rubbed me the wrong way in general, I really liked this dungeon and this boss. If only the rest of the game had been that cool (although there were other moments I did enjoy, admittedly--just none quite as much as this one).

This is what makes me think Skyward Sword was made by Bizarro-Miyamoto - it was a Zelda game that was generally not that great except for the high point which is the water dungeon. When has anyone ever said that about a Zelda game?

----

Roleplaying Games are a genre that precedes video games, vis a vis Dungeons & Dragons. Most early RPGs were attempts to mimic the tropes of those games. Over the years these games spawned other games with variations which spawned other games with variations to the point that RPGs are very large category.

One could argue that Zelda games are RPGs, because it involves a fantasy world focused on exploring a sand-box overworld (D&D hexcrawls) and delving into a dungeon underworld (D&D dungeoncrawls) with a focus on inventory management and finding treasures to help you progress. Earlier Zelda games had more conntections to D&D with their wide-openness and ability to completely jump out of order and find things before you were supposed to.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 9, 2015

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Stupid post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hey gang, I've got some bad news for you all. A few days ago I accidentally deleted my Skyward Sword backup file. On top of that, all my practice files are beyond the point that I had recorded. This means I'm going to have to replay my way through the entire game before I can start recording again. :saddowns:

Now, I totally intend on doing that, but I'm not going to do it right away. As much as I enjoy Skyward Sword even I would get burnt out on if I had to play through half the game in just a few days. Instead, I'm going to put this LP on hold while I play through the game again at my leisure. I might start up a different Let's Play during the downtime, who knows!

See you soon, folks!

• Locked thread