Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My great grandmother died at the age of 91 two weeks ago and we had her funeral yesterday and I was asked to be one of the pall bearers. We didn't do much besides lift her casket into the hearse and then move it from the hearse to the grave.

Have you ever been a pall bearer. When's the last time you were at a funeral. Was it someone close to you. What kinds of funerals have you been to. My great grandmother had a good old traditional Christian service in Alabama, and that's how I imagine funerals in my head as they're the only kind I've been to. But I am curious about what other kinds of traditions there are in different cultures and religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you owe me a new keyboard sir

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

gary oldmans diary posted:

you owe me a new keyboard sir

why

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

if you live in alabama why haven't you eaten at doobies dong house shack

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
How was the Undertaker?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My grandfather died a few years ago at the age of 94. I only saw him like 3 times in the previous decade before he died, but they made me go up in front of everyone and dump some wine into a cup or something at his funeral. Then a bunch of old people shot guns into the sky because he killed some nazis.

I never got an inheritance. I went through all that for nothing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
why would you post this here

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I forced my parents to schedule my grandmother's and then grandfather's funeral so that I didn't have to miss a day of school, therefore preserving my perfect attendance record.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neurosis posted:

why would you post this here

Why wouldn't i

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was a pall bearer for my girlfriend's grandfather, we knew each other for a few years and got along well. When we set the coffin onto the "thingy" that lowers it into the hole the ground gave out where my foot was and I was close to half falling into it.

This isn't a joke about having one foot in the grave, it actually happened and I think about how terrifying it would have been to fall into a deep pit with a heavy coffin above me.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
One of my coworkers does this thing with a bunch of his friends from college every year called Grandma Cup. It's a golf tournament they have, and the winner gets to keep the urn filled with the ashes of one of the friend's grandmother until the next year.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

One of my coworkers does this thing with a bunch of his friends from college every year called Grandma Cup. It's a golf tournament they have, and the winner gets to keep the urn filled with the ashes of one of the friend's grandmother until the next year.

we were playing pool and one of my friends managed to shank a shot so badly the ball flew off the table and knocked over an urn with the host's grandmother's ashes

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
I am appalled by this unbearable thread

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i was a pall bearer on wednesday for my grandmother's funeral

it was a southern baptist funeral so there was a guy who is like the hype man i guess who was like "amen!" "preach it!" whenever the pastor said something about Jesus or god that he liked

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

OOOHHHHH YEEEEESSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

did you feel the power of the urn, op?

• Locked thread