Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

everyone should play valkyria chronicles instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

when this game first came out i decided to paint all the glitches

more here
http://imgur.com/gallery/Mvb3Q

i like these

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

rome II actually is fine now and a lot of fun with the addition of mods that do stuff that should've been done at launch

it's not like the overworld takes a whole lot of thought and if you're playing the AI battles are usually hands-off after initial posturing so just watch dudes kill each other from cinematic angles

or you could just play the rome mod for EU4

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I got the MedII Americas expansion in some Steam sale a few years back and fired it up, having only ever played the vanilla game. I played as Spain, based myself in cuba and then spent I have no idea how long in game just leading a full stack of conquistadores up into the plains states and riding around for years running into various tiny tribes while the actual power house native teams just dicked around in central and southern america.

that expansion is tons of fun. all expending native auxiliaries in huge destructive battles, just like the real spanish. i could never really get in to playing as any of the native factions though, they just don't have very many fun units beyond bee throwers

imo the crusades expansion is even better, winning as the seljuks is so goddamn satisfying

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

medieval 2 speeches best speeches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCR8xV7fb5w

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

shogun 2 speeches were as good or better

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bad:

Good:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

all those pretty screenshots are cleverly avoiding the ultimate fate of those soldiers and boats, which is "massing beneath a wall because we can't use ladders" and "sailing around aimlessly until glitching out", respectively

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Creative Assembly is the Ubisoft of gaming.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fandyien posted:

"massing beneath a wall because we can't use ladders"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTCsmZTtOo

Fandyien posted:

"sailing around aimlessly until glitching out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCYixVKcow

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i bought adderall specially for R2's release and stayed up all night. i was so loving ready for it to unlock at like 5:00 in the morning. when it was utter poo poo i lost my faith in videogames forever and i will never preorder another thing

i did discover victoria 2 though and that owns

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also its wonderful how they removed everything unique about TW games, tied armies to generals, and instead of cool art put horrible soul less 3d portraits ion everything. those advisers are poo poo

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

my favorite is when you tell reinforcing units to withdraw en mass and instead of disappearing once they touch the boundaries like routing units they just explode back outwards across the map like ants

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

or when horses, which run slower than most foot units, do everything in single file and get killed by light infantry

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

paradox strategy games are real good if you're mad about creative assembly buy EU4 and feel better

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i bought eu4 and couldn't get into it at all. it just seems to lack the depth of victoria II, all you do is paint maps and go to war and genocide indians. booooring

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Fandyien posted:

or when horses, which run slower than most foot units, do everything in single file and get killed by light infantry

they don't do that anymore unless you make the mistake of letting them path around cities on their own, or go through broken walls, or go through gates, in which case they will with great enthusiasm. don't bring horses into cities I guess. fine.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Fandyien posted:

i bought eu4 and couldn't get into it at all. it just seems to lack the depth of victoria II, all you do is paint maps and go to war and genocide indians. booooring

It's actually deeper and more difficult than VII imo but I feel you

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i mostly didn't like the points system for the technology or the whole inbetween systems like stability and stuff. it felt like a hamfisted way of expressing things through the gamiest medium they could find

crusader kings 2 didn't do it for me either i just felt like i was waiting around for random events with teh game running at the fastest speed

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All you need to know about Total War is that Shogun 2 was the apex of the series and they'll probably never make a game close to as good as that again. Multiply that statement x1000 if talking about multiplayer.

Also anyone thinking rebutting by saying "I'm just not as interested in the setting" or "there aren't enough unique units!", you're a huge idiot retard. Shut up you loving moron.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

also shoutout to the recent bug where enemy armies occasionally sprint across to the map only to form a single line somewhere idiotic and obligingly get kited out a few units at a time into much weaker player-controlled armies

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i love the poo poo out of shogun 2 but i've never actually beaten it because even if you start to win after the insanely unfair realm divide it just becomes a wipe-up maneuver slog. like you know you're gonna win so whats teh point of spending another 14 hours doing crazy long battles against an enemy whose ability to resist is crumbling?

that being said the pre-realm divide parts of S2 are insanely fun especially if you go christian and capture the black ship

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also S2 had almost ideal unit variety. everything had a purpose and a distinct tactical orientation, unlike, say, darthmod napoleon where you have 15 of the same unit with slightly different color uniforms because that's more historically accurate or w/e

spain in darthmod napoleon had over 50 units, iirc

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I like rome II in the same way I like oblivion—the game itself isn't stellar but it's always tripping itself up in improbable ways that deaden the pain

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

after they updated it to empire edition i tried to start it up again and it crashed so i uninstalled it. i wish i could give away games in my steam library

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I love shogun 2 but I felt like it had about four units: bow, spear, katana, and naginata or whatever. sure there were different levels of them but they just had a little more or less armor and frankly you just needed naginata and bows because horses couldn't win in melee and bows owned everything else. foot samurai fuckin owned tho and I'm mad they were only in RoS. also siege battles were very hard to lose if you were defending to the point that you didn't even need a dedicated garrison past a certain level

I thought emperor edition was completely acceptable and fun but I had to wait for mods to catch up

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

also those samurai that had those balloons on their back looked loving retarded

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

WEH posted:

I love shogun 2 but I felt like it had about four units: bow, spear, katana, and naginata or whatever. sure there were different levels of them but they just had a little more or less armor and frankly you just needed naginata and bows because horses couldn't win in melee and bows owned everything else. foot samurai fuckin owned tho and I'm mad they were only in RoS. also siege battles were very hard to lose if you were defending to the point that you didn't even need a dedicated garrison past a certain level

I thought emperor edition was completely acceptable and fun but I had to wait for mods to catch up

i dunno there were inbetweens like bow samurai, special ninja units, and cavalry was definitely a thing though now that i'm thinking about it naginata cavalry and bow cav was all i ever used. if you went christian though you could have those cool european auxilaries and stuff which really changed battle dynamics sometimes

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
shogun 2 was the best they've ever done vanilla but the relative lack of mods compared to say medieval shows how limiting the setting was

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Whorelord posted:

also those samurai that had those balloons on their back looked loving retarded

But those were real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B_6BU7SYf8

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

This game is trash

*plays for 36 hours straight*

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i used to really like playing some game called something like Dungeon Keeper back in the day

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rome 2 is actually ok now with patches, but shogun is still better

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Someone post that Pontus pre-order faction meme (the guy crashing the window and such afetr hearing Pontus is a faction idk) tia.

Also Medieval 3 should be made because CA usually makes a semi decent game after a really bad one (Napoelon after Empire, Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai etc.).

Making pre ordering a Total War Game a criminal offense would work imo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

attila looks cool, i want some dark age poo poo

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I wouldn't mind Empire 2 because I love people shooting each other in the face from 100 m with a thumb sized musket ball in the name of bales of tea or whatever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Galewolf posted:

Someone post that Pontus pre-order faction meme (the guy crashing the window and such afetr hearing Pontus is a faction idk) tia.

Also Medieval 3 should be made because CA usually makes a semi decent game after a really bad one (Napoelon after Empire, Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai etc.).

Making pre ordering a Total War Game a criminal offense would work imo.

i vaguely recall reading that CA has said they aren't going to make any 3's so i guess after they do empire 2 they are onto somewhere new. Which would be great actually there are still lots of good possibilities, ancient china in the age of sun tzu, or europe during the thirty years war & ottoman conquest of the balkans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Neanderthal: Total War

• Locked thread