Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That kind of thinking leads to the bad kinds of future, mister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolek
May 1, 2003

exhibit a:

Flesh Forge posted:

This is a great way for audiences to look at your films if you're a terrible writer and your stories are bad!

e: I have to admire the brilliance in that, "it is dumb to be smart, and it is much smarter to be dumb"

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Butt Wizard posted:

Sorry no one has explained this to me but why the gently caress couldn't the hyper intelligent fridges just do it themselves

Well, dramatic/narrative reasons aside:

1. The robots, especially CASE, almost never show initiative. They would not have tried to dock at all. So Coop had to be the one to start them moving in to even try.

2. The scenario you outline (robots doing it themselves) is given as a contingency - Coop says "CASE take the stick if I black out."

3. In the earlier Coop vs CASE pilot argument (on the descent to the wave planet), Coop retains full manual control against CASE's recommendation, and shows that he is capable of pulling off high-G, precise maneuvers safely. He mentions that having control wrested from him by an AI was the cause of his crash, years ago.

4. If what Coop says is true, that an AI took over for him and they crashed, then it's reasonable to believe that AIs in this world aren't hyper-adept to the point that humans are not needed for flight operations. The rest of the movie bears this out - Doyle is the docking expert originally, not TARS.

5. So given all that, having CASE and Coop work together to keep the craft in position for TARS to make his fine adjustments makes sense. CASE might be better than Coop alone (but probably not), but he's definitely not better than Coop + CASE.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

RobattoJesus posted:

What I don't get is that McConughy spends the first half of the film with his daughter, he's tanned as gently caress and she's a pasty white ginger. Then he spends 100 years with Anne Hathaway who is also pasty as gently caress but he stays tanned as gently caress. Does he just walk around infront of women blocking the sun keeping all the women in his life in the shadow or something. It doesn't make good scientific sense.

Also why would you send "quantum data" in morse code (instead of binary or something). Morse code is only really for sending letters of the alphabet so unless the message is "the secret ingredient is love" or something stupid instead of an equation or a number and then that lets you build space stations I don't get it.

good thing the secret ingredient is love

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bolek posted:

exhibit a:

bad storys are better tahn good storys!!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I like how there wasn't enough tension in the finale, so they made Murph burn down her brother's farm. But the writers were like, "doesn't that make her a bitch?" So they made her brother deny his family health care in the previous scene, justifying Murph's actions.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

What I don't get is that McConughy spends the first half of the film with his daughter, he's tanned as gently caress and she's a pasty white ginger. Then he spends 100 years with Anne Hathaway who is also pasty as gently caress but he stays tanned as gently caress. Does he just walk around infront of women blocking the sun keeping all the women in his life in the shadow or something. It doesn't make good scientific sense.

Also why would you send "quantum data" in morse code (instead of binary or something). Morse code is only really for sending letters of the alphabet so unless the message is "the secret ingredient is love" or something stupid instead of an equation or a number and then that lets you build space stations I don't get it.

because his daughter could read morse code at the time

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Do It Once Right posted:

I like how there wasn't enough tension in the finale, so they made Murph burn down her brother's farm. But the writers were like, "doesn't that make her a bitch?" So they made her brother deny his family health care in the previous scene, justifying Murph's actions.

I'm not sure why the brother was even in the drat film.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I know a lot of people who say Prometheus was good and when asked what made it good the response is always "you don't get it" without actually answering the question.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm not sure why the brother was even in the drat film.

What he should have said : "Holy poo poo, sis, please cool it with telling my coughing children that they're going to die right to their faces."

Instead he transformed into a violent redneck.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Verisimilidude posted:

I know a lot of people who say Prometheus was good and when asked what made it good the response is always "you don't get it" without actually answering the question.

It's not that Prometheus was good, it's just that those people liked it. That's what you're not getting.:colbert: I know I liked it cause it was entertaining and answered my questions about Alien. I also know Shaw was kick rear end except for the parts where she throws science out of the wind with the stupid reasoning "because I Choose to believe it".

Do It Once Right posted:

What he should have said : "Holy poo poo, sis, please cool it with telling my coughing children that they're going to die right to their faces."

Don't we all transform into a violent red neck once or twice in our life when McConaugh-Space is our Dad? I know I have.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Do It Once Right posted:

maybe he was sad because when his dad left he gave him a "lol bye" after a long tearful goodbye with his sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gravity was better in hindsight since it had zero g Sandra Bullock goodness.

• Locked thread