Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Godspeed You! Sonic Retard

Godspeed You! Blue Echidna
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

the game so lovely even sega wouldnt release it is... bad?????!?

Really it's not even that it's bad. There's just nothing there. Even calling it a "tech demo" is being a bit generous.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
It at least looks not-terrible considering where 3D games were at the time. Kinda curious if the game would've actually succeeded had they made it. It's not like people gave a poo poo about clunky controls in 3D games back in those days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it looks like the biggest issue was trying to shoehorn Sonic high speed into an engine that clearly couldn't handle that kind of gameplay. Personally I would've considered taking the work that had been done constructing said engine and building a new IP more compatible with what they had instead.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
sonic was always bad

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do you still do a lot of drugs, tsr

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it looks like the biggest issue was trying to shoehorn Sonic high speed into an engine that clearly couldn't handle that kind of gameplay. Personally I would've considered taking the work that had been done constructing said engine and building a new IP more compatible with what they had instead.

Isn't that what NiGHTS was?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
At last, I can finally "PLAY" the "GAME" I have "WAITED" for after all of these years!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I've never heard of this game. Sounds like you are having fun, so good luck.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Monday_ posted:

Isn't that what NiGHTS was?

Nah, NiGHTS was a separate project under development at the same time as this. Supposedly they'd been kicking ideas for NiGHTS around since the Sonic 2 days.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 3, 2015

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

MikeJF posted:

Nah, NiGHTS was a separate project under development at the same time as this. Supposedly they'd been kicking ideas for NiGHTS around since the Sonic 2 days.

In fact it was so separate, that according to Wikipedia...

quote:

Wallis suggested that the game engine from Sonic Team's Nights into Dreams... would be helpful. Stolar agreed and acquired the engine. However, the engine's creator and lead programmer of the original Mega Drive Sonic games, Yuji Naka, reportedly threatened to leave the company if it was used.[4][7] STI lost two weeks of development time from the loss of the Nights engine.[1]

SEGA was always dysfunctional.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

geri_khan posted:

SEGA was always dysfunctional.

Any time you hear anything about the internal politics of Sega it's insane and hilarious.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

MikeJF posted:

after consideration, i think the biggest issue is that people still make sonic games.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

after consideration, i think the biggest issue is that people still make sonic games.
The best Sonic games are the ones without Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

SupSuper posted:

The best Sonic games are the ones without Sonic.

• Locked thread