Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I exported a mixdown of a multitrack project in Adobe Audition to a WAV file. Usually this works fine but in this instance I'm having a problem with the WAV. It plays fine in foobar and other audio programs, but when I convert it to mp3 the resulting file is silent. I also tried adding the WAV to a video (for uploading to youtube), but the video program won't accept it. Anybody know off hand what's going on or how I can diagnose it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

beatlegs posted:

I exported a mixdown of a multitrack project in Adobe Audition to a WAV file. Usually this works fine but in this instance I'm having a problem with the WAV. It plays fine in foobar and other audio programs, but when I convert it to mp3 the resulting file is silent. I also tried adding the WAV to a video (for uploading to youtube), but the video program won't accept it. Anybody know off hand what's going on or how I can diagnose it?
First guess is that the problem's in the MP3 conversion process. What are you using to convert the file?

Some programs have trouble with anything greater than 16 bit depth, which is likely the reason you weren't able to import the WAV into your video. But there are enough alternatives around if that's the problem. FWIW I always export from my DAW to 24-bit WAV and convert to MP3 with LAME.

I have a shortcut to a batch file on my desktop that I can drop one or more WAVs onto at a time to convert the file(s) to MP3:

code:
@echo off
cd %~dp0
for %%i in (%*) do lame.exe -V1 -h %%i "MP3/%%~ni.mp3"
pause
The batch file itself resides in my My Music folder (LAME.EXE is in my system path), and all converted files go into the subfolder My Music\MP3.

Even though WAV would be ideal (do try 16-bit), some video programs I've used seem to have a better time handling MP3s when it comes to importing and timelines and whatnot.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 14, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Ah, I didn't realize Audition exports mixdowns in 24-bit by default. Problem solved. Thanks.

• Locked thread