Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

The difference between me and that is that I hate my mother too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

You need some DeVry in your life OP. They'll fix you right up.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'm too cool for school.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

im sorry you got a bad grade op

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Tebulot posted:

OP needs to go look at a sunset or some poo poo and really wonder why he feels the way he feels.

Naw, he's done with Art School.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
thread is bad, im glad the OP is on probation

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
america's worst president was a perfesonal acedemic hth

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Tebulot posted:

OP needs to go look at a sunset or some poo poo and really wonder why he feels the way he feels.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
Lowtax must be getting hella rich off these non funny parachut accounts

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i think things would be great if doctors didnt have to go to medical shcool anymore, also people who bbuild bridges and large structures inhabited by people

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good initiative, bad judgement op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Foucault

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
unban op i wanna hear more of his wizened street knowledge

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
they only academia that need to be drawn and quartered are the ones who fill up public school positions while being absolutely awful at what they do

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
I spent forty years selling buttons and string. Taught me everything I ever needed to know about life and the universe. Let me tell you about the global warming conspiracy.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Disconnecticus posted:

I spent forty years selling buttons and string. Taught me everything I ever needed to know about life and the universe. Let me tell you about the global warming conspiracy.

what kind of buttons?

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The purpose of academia is to keep dangerous knowledge locked away from the masses. Can you imagine the chaos if any plumber or truck driver could, in their spare time, study science and conduct experiments that would eventually give them the expertise required to engineer an atom bomb? Construct a fleet of drones to assassinate politicians they didn't like? Society deals with this by saying "sorry, if you want to do the science then you have tolerate the most insufferable people on the face of the planet making you memorise useless outdated crap during your every waking hour while trying to learn something and if you aren't rich then also not starve at the same time" or by saying "sure you can have money to do your experiments, but only if you can spend hours upon hours justifying how your experiment is going to further your sponsors' interests". A large number of great scientists have expressed feelings similar to those of the OP and with good reason. If you think academia is the way it is because it's the best way to gain and curate knowledge then you're loving stupid.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Don't get all high and mighty. You'll learn about buttons in good time. You need to work on string first.

Themistocles
Nov 7, 2003

Fighting for democracy since 483 BC

Zidrooner posted:

The purpose of academia is to keep dangerous knowledge locked away from the masses. Can you imagine the chaos if any plumber or truck driver could, in their spare time, study science and conduct experiments that would eventually give them the expertise required to engineer an atom bomb? Construct a fleet of drones to assassinate politicians they didn't like? Society deals with this by saying "sorry, if you want to do the science then you have tolerate the most insufferable people on the face of the planet making you memorise useless outdated crap during your every waking hour while trying to learn something and if you aren't rich then also not starve at the same time" or by saying "sure you can have money to do your experiments, but only if you can spend hours upon hours justifying how your experiment is going to further your sponsors' interests". A large number of great scientists have expressed feelings similar to those of the OP and with good reason. If you think academia is the way it is because it's the best way to gain and curate knowledge then you're loving stupid.

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Apthous posted:

I went to art school.

So did I, but guess what I knew from the get go I'd have to get a job doing something else afterwards. Suck it up pussy.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 21, 2014

• Locked thread