Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

actually it ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Camel Pimp posted:

So whoever got this avatar.... I must say, thank you and bravo!

Well, since you mention it [and like it :sweatdrop: ], t'was I. Merry day late since good grief I was busy Christmas!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

actually it ruled

this but unironically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Skanker posted:

You know thinking back the DS RPG library was pretty dogshit. Even some of the positive examples named in this thread so far were nowhere near amazing, at best they were lukewarm titles with a few good ideas in them.
are you talking poo poo about the world ends with you

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Skanker posted:

You know thinking back the DS RPG library was pretty dogshit. Even some of the positive examples named in this thread so far were nowhere near amazing, at best they were lukewarm titles with a few good ideas in them.

You forgot about the Etrian Odyssey series. Three titles for the DS, all pretty good.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Every RPG regardless of system is bad - especially the ones you like, because you have terrible taste.

There, that's where this is all heading, let's not kid ourselves.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my tastes are flawless and beyond reproach

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Counterpoint: mine are superior and youre an idiot for not agreeing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Then there's the whole Rune Factory series, which got pretty damned amazing by the third game. I definitely enjoyed quite a few DS RPGs, but there were some stinkers out there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Counterpoint: mine are superior and youre an idiot for not agreeing.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Endorph posted:

are you talking poo poo about the world ends with you

Just a tiny bit, gotta give it to Etrian Odyssey though. Then you think of all the other systems that are out there and realize they're way more packed... DS got quantity, not quality. Admittedly my memory is really awful but there are more stinkers on the DS (proportionally) than on other systems.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I think we're all getting a little off-topic. I think I'll reopen the thread around New Years, and hopefully Jenner's NDA will run out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just marathoned this thread today. Camel Pimp, you are a saint.

This is from way earlier in the thread:

Camel Pimp posted:

Chapter 8: Make it Stop

Like he said, you got guts, but you're dumb. You think you can take even one of us? You're dreaming. Now wake up. It's time to die.

Did they just drop a Blade Runner reference in the year 2005?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Midjack posted:

I just marathoned this thread today. Camel Pimp, you are a saint.

This is from way earlier in the thread:

Did they just drop a Blade Runner reference in the year 2005?

Isn't that one of the things the group they pulled together suggested?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
So, because of the personal information in a lot of this stuff, most of the things I'd post would look like a CIA document. It might just be best to send this off to the archives as the only thing I could really safely share is the script we got, which I believe was already shared to you (though the one we have is pretty early in it so there may be some differences.)

You guy interested in the Japanese and English scripts we have?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

So, because of the personal information in a lot of this stuff, most of the things I'd post would look like a CIA document. It might just be best to send this off to the archives as the only thing I could really safely share is the script we got, which I believe was already shared to you (though the one we have is pretty early in it so there may be some differences.)

You guy interested in the Japanese and English scripts we have?

That's fair. I am curious to see if the script you got was different, though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Shame, I was kind of looking forward to seeing more tales of Fuckups and Bad Decisions. Well, can't be helped, we wouldn't want Jenner to get sued or arrested.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009
I hope we get a Jenner compilation in the archive. Those stories were some of the best parts of this thread. Getting to see where this game could have been in stark juxtaposition to where it ended up really gave some perspective to how this game was cut off at the knees.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Good news and bad news.
Bad news: Our scanner is not working and appears broken. It's like the universe doesn't want this poo poo seen.
Good news: I'm gonna take pics with my cell phone of what we're comfortable sharing and put it up here. It's gonna look like rear end but it's the least I can do. I'll see if I can get this out to you guys before MAGFest.

Should be editing this post with some pics here shortly.

Okay here we go, so first proof that this is real:

Here's the first page of the copy of the NDA that was received. :ohdear:

This is the first page of the original rough draft script was received from Ubisoft, that they presumably got from Japan. You can see the fans efforts to translate it and their own notes/comments in the margins in future pictures.

More of the same.

Lucia_was_always_Lucia.jpg

Here's the first page of the final draft the fans got from Ubisoft that they presumably got from Japan after the fans' proposed revisions. Again, you can see the efforts to translate it and the fans own notes/comments in the margins in future pictures.

Apologies to those who can't read Japanese.

A close up on some of the notes to the developers/ourselves.

More Japanese.

Hahahahaha, this one makes me a little sad. We could only hope, right? :smith:

This one is kinda neat.

As someone pointed out the similarity to Ghaleon's freeze spell.

Looking back over all this makes my heart ache and fills me with such overwhelming bitterness, a bile rising in my throat. The fans and the crew were so excited and elated... so hopeful to have a new Lunar. Why did this have to happen? :negative:

Sorry_Camel_Pimp.jpg

Here's Corey Fong's business card, Corey Fong is awesome. I don't know if he still works at Ubisoft but I hope he doesn't. He's too good for them. He was one of the few folks at Ubisoft I could say with 100% certainty wanted a good Lunar game and tried so very hard. I miss you Corey, thanks for everything.

I apologize for the shittiness of these "scans." We have loads and loads of papers here and a broken scanner and I don't want this LP to die unarchived. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to share more but I hope this proves that, yes, the fan consultants were a thing and yes, Ubisoft did try for awhile. We all tried.

It didn't have to be this way.

Thank you Camel Pimp.

gently caress Lunar Dragon Song.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

Good news and bad news.
Bad news: Our scanner is not working and appears broken. It's like the universe doesn't want this poo poo seen.
Good news: I'm gonna take pics with my cell phone of what we're comfortable sharing and put it up here. It's gonna look like rear end but it's the least I can do. I'll see if I can get this out to you guys before MAGFest.

Should be editing this post with some pics here shortly.

Awesome!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Posted, enjoy.

Thanks again Camel Pimp.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That's fantastic and depressing. Hoping that one day you will scan the whole thing and post an archive somewhere.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Actually, I did already send the archive request in, but I should be able to edit that into the OP real quick. It'll probably be quite a while before this LP goes up in the archive.

And if there's anything you don't want in the archived LP, Jenner, just tell me. Hopefully if there's a problem it can be caught before the LP goes to archive, but we'll see.

I really do wanna thank you Jenner for sharing this information. Some of the best parts of LPing a game is learning stuff you never knew about the game. Especially here, where the playing of the game was easily the worst part. (Well, maybe sifting through all the boring rear end footage after the fact might rank worse...)

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I don't know how LP archiving works but I presume people can always look through the thread and follow your links. If you want something more concrete a bonus post which quotes my choicest insider knowledge bits (or all of them) for easier finding/searching/reference should suffice.

Including them in the relevant LP post is another option (but sounds too :effort: IMO.) Personally? I feel the "This was Vane." and "Lucia, Jian, and Gabrielle's names" explanations are probably my best contributions.

Of course, me telling you about Gideon having Rufus' arm instead of his sword adds valuable context to your brilliant avatar and gif and should be preserved for all time. :allears:

Really, anything you wanna save, go ahead. The world should never forget what happened here.

See you when you play Walking School in your next LP, my friend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for posting that, Jenner.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
It is actually heartbreaking to read all that. You can almost feel the joy, the excitement and the love the people who tried to help Ubisoft had for Lunar. The thought that their opinions could help revive the franchise they enjoyed so much and breathe new life into it, so that other people could love and enjoy Lunar as well. You can see that someone, or several someones, put honest effort into this game. But that isn't what we got. What we got was this lazy, hackneyed, D.O.A. RPG that was slapped together abomination-style from the RPG trash heap in a bid to be the first of its kind. The effort of so many devoted fans and the hopes of others dashed for nothing but greed.

It's been said many times throughout this LP, but it bears repeating every time: gently caress LUNAR DRAGON SONG.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Did being the first DS JRPG even matter when the DS was backwards-compatible?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Who wouldn't want to brag about touch controls? :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'm a huge RPG fan, and I don't even give a fraction of a poo poo what the first game on this system was, or any system for that matter. Why did they have to rush out this garbagefest of a game for an empty honor? Why, Ubisoft? gently caress Lunar Dragon Song.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Camel Pimp posted:

I really do wanna thank you Jenner for sharing this information. Some of the best parts of LPing a game is learning stuff you never knew about the game.

Yeah, likewise. Started paying attention for the morbid curiosity/inside baseball aspect, stayed for the recounting of how it all went wrong. :smith: It's kind of funny, I first learned about Lunar years before I got to play it (had a good ol' GamePro subscription and saw the review of SSS, didn't play it until the remake over 10 years later) and it was worth the wait. Just imagining now if that had happened and the game was actually Dragon Song. :negative:

I didn't comment much, CP (how many people saying "Wow, this really is bad" did you need?), but this was a good LP. Your Eternal Blue one was the first one I saw and it was kind of dry, but you really hit your stride with FF2 and knocked this game out of the park. Looking forward to the next one!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You know how there are people who really want to be the first to post on a YouTube video, just to say "FIRST!!!!!"

This is the video game equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

You know how there are people who really want to be the first to post on a YouTube video, just to say "FIRST!!!!!"

This is the video game equivalent.

So a worthless contribution that by its very nature completely misses the point of what it is?

Sounds about right.

• Locked thread