Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, apparently Mark Schultz loves the film again:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a622382/mark-schultz-sorry-for-foxcatcher-criticism-i-was-temporarily-insane.html?rss#~p1Ra3yPsCA1HHj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
He must really want an invite to the Oscar afterparties.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have to say I found this film incredibly dull and poorly edited. Beyond just echoing the earlier posts, I was most bothered by (is it a spoiler if it's a true story?) the total lack of build-up or aftermath of Dave's murder. I figured that would be crucial to the story, but it's more like an epilogue, and it would seem completely out of the blue if you didn't know it would eventually happen going in. That event took place 8 years after Seoul, but there's not even an indication that the film moved ahead 8 years other than du Pont looking slightly aged. Then we never see its effect on his brother.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The hand of Kojima inspires us all.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Uh, if there's excuse at all for that insanity, it's that even though he was behind the project and no doubt paid good money for it, having a movie portaying the events in the film when they actually happened to you must be pretty emotionally charged.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
MARK ruffalo was really good in this but otherwise it was just an ok movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

tbp posted:

MARK ruffalo was really good in this but otherwise it was just an ok movie.

I agree, though I also thought Carell, Tatum, and Redgrave were very good. The pacing was off, but I thought the set design and lighting did a good job of conveying general 80's shittiness everywhere and the quiet boredom of country life.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I just saw it and I think it would have been a lot better if they had edited the movie down to a tight 90 minutes. I was really impressed by Ruffalo's performance and, as a former wrestler, the actual wrestling in the movie looked authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I agree that the movie should have been edited down because it did kind of drag and I found myself disinterested in some of the scenes which was a problem but I think this is one of those movies where the sum is greater than the parts and as a dissection of the relationship between the elite, middle class, and lower class, it's spot on.

Carell and Tatum's symbiotic relationship is a metaphor for the elite's chokehold on the lower class. Only these two talk about patriotism as a reason to do anything. Carell loves America and wants it to succeed because it made his ancestors filthy rich and his wealth is dependent on America's continued greatness. Maybe the reason John DuPont isn't as great as his forbearers is because America isn't as great as it was before. Tatum is patriotic because he believes in the American dream and this belief is his only shot at leaving his destitute place in life. Both men give speeches about American greatness to disinterested parties because they themselves do not feel great unless that latch onto American mythos. Both men also partake in hard drugs. DuPont does it as recreation on his private helicopter. There is not one minute where he thinks he might be arrested for it. He even has a cute little gold tooter for it. Tatum on the other hand is actively endangering his career by doing it. If at any time he is caught his career is done, he could see a life behind bars, and the American dream is taken away just as quickly as it was given. Both men are also impotent to some degree. They don't have significant others and they don't have families. Being in the elite and lower class doesn't lend itself to a good scenario for having strong healthy relationships. There is too much distrust on both ends of the spectrum. Both men have a drive in them that make them often identical except for the vast separation that wealth creates. The lower class and the elites often exhibit the same eccentric behavior as they both tend to live outside of the rules but the elite is protected by their wealth and the lower class are naked and vulnerable without it.

DuPont uses this separation to exploit Schultz. Schultz obviously knows what he's doing and is a great coach but because of wealth DuPont can make him do whatever he wants. He can slap him in the face, wake him up in the middle of the night to symbolically gently caress him, threaten him, make him praise him. All he has to do is occasionally throw him a monetary breadcrumb and Schultz is ever so grateful for what amounts to DuPont throwing him a quarter for being a good little boy.

David Schultz is the middle class. He's content. He can't be swayed by money to the same extent Mark can. He's happy with his family and would rather have stability than to chase around money or greatness. This is a monumental threat to DuPont. When Mark tells him that David won't coach for the money DuPont is taken aback. He doesn't understand a scenario where this is possible. He is not part of that world. Without David DuPont continues to rely on exploiting Mark and crushing him into the ground but at the end of the day he needs David. He needs that stability to win championships. David plays along with DuPont but not in the same way Mark did. David wrestles because he loves the game. Mark plays it because it's his only hope. David gives formal appreciation to DuPont's efforts but never really cares too much because it's not a world he wants to be a part of. His continents is DuPont's biggest threat because it is something that DuPont can't control.

This all culminates of course with DuPont shooting Mark. It's about the elite hating what they don't understand and what they can't control. In the final scene, Mark is fighting with his life for table scraps as an audience chants USA repeatedly. If you have a world with only the elite and the lower elite, this is what you get. Extremes. We need the middle class to bring order to everything. We need David to win championships.

• Locked thread