Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

a serious post:

edvard grieg. listen to "morning" then "anitra's dance" then "hall of the mountain king" in that order and its pretty cool

also rossinni. check out "william tell overture" in its entirety. don't be a shitbird and only think LONE RANGER LOL

e: i once kicked a man to death because he sang 'hello mudda, hello fadda' while i was listening to ponchielli's "la gioconda".

I agree with the william tell overture thing, but camp granada is classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I agree with the william tell overture thing, but camp granada is classic.

camp granada stands on its own merits, as does spike jones' covers of the william tell overture and dance of the hours. however, if you cannot separate the classic original from the later send ups, you deserve to die a swift and violent death.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tool

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

spooky girlfriend posted:

I like Bach's organ fugues the best I think. Organ is more baller than harpsichord. It's the first instrument capable of rocking out.

Organ is baller, but harpsichord can only ever be passed by clavichord. Deal with it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pretty good band. They even change the time signature sometime.
But then again so has Guns and Roses.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Motherfuckin' Carlo Gesualdo

http://youtu.be/JZAs9LjJAHU

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
i am.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

logical phalluses posted:

j.s. bach is the greatest musician who ever lived and probably better at the thing he did than anybody else in the history of the world has been. maybe shakespeare and euler are comparable. who do you think is better than bach? i will tell you why you're wrong.

Mostly agree although I'd say his operas put mozart just ahead.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

radiohead

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Bach is the man. But is there any love for Stravinsky? Prog before prog. Those rhythms.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
kreayshawn

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

1gnoirents posted:

kreayshawn

How the gently caress are you a 2014 and have cancer?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The three B's bitch. (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms bitch...I guess that should be changed from three to four)

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
The next Expendables movie will have a scene where your favorite '80s action stars get to play classical composers.

"I'll be Chopin," says Bruce Willis.

Sylvester Stallone says, "I'll be Mozart."

And Arnold Schwarzenegger says

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

logical phalluses posted:

j.s. bach is the greatest musician who ever lived and probably better at the thing he did than anybody else in the history of the world has been. maybe shakespeare and euler are comparable. who do you think is better than bach? i will tell you why you're wrong.

Bach is merely mathematical music at its highest form circa early 1700s. You could write Bach with a calculator. He wrote the rules by which we now understand music theory, but he's got nothing on Beethoven.

The minute that the pianoforte was invented, Bach began to lose relevance.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Agrinja posted:

Bach is the man. But is there any love for Stravinsky? Prog before prog. Those rhythms.

Rite of Spring is pry my fave piece of music ever but Beethoven is objectively the best composer, or maybe second only to Adam Levine of Maroon "Party of" 5

Edit: This is a fun thing to post in music nerd threads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Bach plays too many notes.
Just cut a few, then it will be perfect.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psh, you bitches need more brass. Give me a good old Sousa march any day.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Synthetic Bach is the best Bach. Fauch, if you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4gV4zqEVmQ

rio
Mar 20, 2008

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Bach is merely mathematical music at its highest form circa early 1700s. You could write Bach with a calculator. He wrote the rules by which we now understand music theory, but he's got nothing on Beethoven.

The minute that the pianoforte was invented, Bach began to lose relevance.

Uh, no. It's absurd to say that a calculator or machine would write some of Bach's music. That's like saying that a computer can play jazz (which it can but can only be used for practice since it sounds like poo poo. You can program all of the "rules" for every musical period and it would sound like poo poo. Maybe it would spit out some decent rock or pop tunes, I don't know. Bach did not "write the rules" of music theory, come on man. He was the example of how rules could broken and justified among other things.

Also, Beethoven as well as most classical art music is not relevant now. People listen to awful loving music and because there are so many of them then it must be true, is that what you mean? Since the oh so memorable music that C.P.E Bach wrote for the pianoforte replaced his robo-dad's formulaic music, right? His own son wrapped fish in his father's music, not to be rediscovered until Mendelssohn rediscovered Bach's music and started to champion it because Mendelssohn recognized the genius of this composer that had simply fallen out of style by the dumb trend following public. "Relevance" only portrays the quality of music to the ears of the public. Beethoven's comprehension of music was partly formed by studying Bach. He said something like "Brook? More like an ocean" (Bach means brooke). When we hear Mozart's late music change and take on a different kind of musical heaviness like we see in the Requiem, it is partly because Mozart discovered Bach in that last third of his life.

And what the gently caress are you talking about early 1700's? Bach had barely even begun to compose in the early 1700's.

Bach is arguably the best composer we have ever had on the earth, and I am not talking about "relevance" or personal taste. People can like whatever they want to but it is a solid fact that he was one of the hugest composers of all time, if not the greatest.

Sorry for all that but Jesus Christ, saying that "Bach is merely mathematical music" is straight up incorrect. I don't know if you are a music student but be very careful about stating "facts" based on your opinion, because this isn't like saying "hahaha you think the Stones were better than the Beatles". It's music history and there is really only one way to treat it if you start spewing out that kind of nonsense.

rio fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 17, 2014

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

rio posted:

Uh, no. It's absurd to say that a calculator or machine would write some of Bach's music. That's like saying that a computer can play jazz (which it can but can only be used for practice since it sounds like poo poo. You can program all of the "rules" for every musical period and it would sound like poo poo. Maybe it would spit out some decent rock or pop tunes, I don't know. Bach did not "write the rules" of music theory, come on man. He was the example of how rules could broken and justified among other things.

Also, Beethoven as well as most classical art music is not relevant now. People listen to awful loving music and because there are so many of them then it must be true, is that what you mean? Since the oh so memorable music that C.P.E Bach wrote for the pianoforte replaced his robo-dad's formulaic music, right? His own son wrapped fish in his father's music, not to be rediscovered until Mendelssohn rediscovered Bach's music and started to champion it because Mendelssohn recognized the genius of this composer that had simply fallen out of style by the dumb trend following public. "Relevance" only portrays the quality of music to the ears of the public. Beethoven's comprehension of music was partly formed by studying Bach. He said something like "Brook? More like an ocean" (Bach means brooke). When we hear Mozart's late music change and take on a different kind of musical heaviness like we see in the Requiem, it is partly because Mozart discovered Bach in that last third of his life.

And what the gently caress are you talking about early 1700's? Bach had barely even begun to compose in the early 1700's.

Bach is arguably the best composer we have ever had on the earth, and I am not talking about "relevance" or personal taste. People can like whatever they want to but it is a solid fact that he was one of the hugest composers of all time, if not the greatest.

Sorry for all that but Jesus Christ, saying that "Bach is merely mathematical music" is straight up incorrect. I don't know if you are a music student but be very careful about stating "facts" based on your opinion, because this isn't like saying "hahaha you think the Stones were better than the Beatles". It's music history and there is really only one way to treat it if you start spewing out that kind of nonsense.
Layin' some god drat music knowledge up in this bach bitch

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Arnold Schwarzenegger will be bach

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

haljordan posted:

bach's cathedral in civ2 makes all your unhappy jagoff citizens happy so i agree OP

that was shakespeare's theater you sack of poo poo

and while we're recommending bands EELS is really good

yes it's capitalized like that it was a cool idea for 1996

i mean i know thats a low bar because that was the year of ska on mtv but still go check out blinking lights and other revelations its sad gruff music by a guy whose entire family died out from under him and actually has something to complain about

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

rio posted:

same

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rio posted:

:drat:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
In their own time, Bach & Couperin were considered virtual equals.

Loves me some early music, especially 17 C.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

rio posted:

loving word, my man. People comparing Bach to maths is surface-level stuff they think sounds smart but is way wrong. there's as much emotion in bach as in Debussy. Bach, like most people in those days, had a fuggen tragic life and he put that in his music.

Also Beethoven's late masterpieces, the breadth and vision they had being so difficult for us to comprehend now, were all fleshed out as beethoven retreated entirely into old modes of music and bach.

He also had WTC1+2 mastered bt the time he was like 10, lol.

Bach is music, objectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

there is a bit in invention 1, a beginner piece that a lot of children can play convincingly, that is so clever and obtuse that when its revealed people are genuinely shocked. it's all about bach making one note sound entirely different depending on which voice you bring out. he's tricking your brain with it. he took the piss with his talent. it's ridiculous.

• Locked thread