Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aradekasta posted:

My entire apartment would fit in the master suite with room to spare. :stare:

What I always wonder about these enormous suburban houses: how do you clean all that space? Especially with young children - do you have a cleaning service or something?

Small spaces are much harder to keep clean in my experience (lived in apartments 2007-2013), everything is crowded and gets in the way of everything else and everything collects dust.

We do a weekly cleaning of our 121m2 house and it goes relatively quickly and easy because we have more space to store and organize things and open spaces clean so much faster and accumulate dust slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's funny. In the US, 121 m^2 (1300 sqft) would be considered quite small for a house. It would be on the larger side for an apartment, though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Most new homes here are around 100 - 170 m2, there are bigger ofcourse, but I grew up in a home the same size as we're now living in and never had space problems. We're 2 adults and 2 kids and both kids have their own rooms when they get older, and still have one deciated office. Also have a garage with a nice workshop and a storage room. We also built the house with lots of wardrobes to store things neatly and organized and the open plan and bright colors makes it feel open and spacious, check out the link I made on the 1st page if you wanna see details.

Also in Finland, building more than you need means more unused space to be heating, which gets expensive during winters. I have noticed myself that home sizes have shrunk a bit from 150-ish to 120-130ish now.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

So here's why we need a lot of extra space:

My kids are loving it though. And it's nice to have two dedicated play areas for toys.

And one for crafts. Tons of room in the laundry area.

We had a housewarming / 4th birthday party last weekend which went pretty well.

It's great to have plenty of space to entertain and we had 20 people fit comfortably between the kitchen and the family room.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
When you own your own crane machine, do you get any better at the arcade version? I.e. can you go to the fair and clean up?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

photomikey posted:

When you own your own crane machine, do you get any better at the arcade version? I.e. can you go to the fair and clean up?

It isn't skill based, you can put it right over a toy and it will only pick it up 10% of the time or so. The play game button we wired up lets you re-drop the claw if it fails to grab a toy and if you keep hitting it it will eventually pick the toy up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Interesting, so the strength/grip on the claw is actually the deciding factor and is randomized to ensure fairly set win/loss odds?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Interesting, so the strength/grip on the claw is actually the deciding factor and is randomized to ensure fairly set win/loss odds?

Not sure if that's exactly how it works but yeah it's pretty random if you get the toy even with perfect alignment.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I'm seriously in love with your house. I have nothing useful to add, but I want it for myself.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TVs do not belong over fireplaces.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Duck and Cover posted:

TVs do not belong over fireplaces.

I can tell you don't have small children.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Small spaces are much harder to keep clean in my experience (lived in apartments 2007-2013), everything is crowded and gets in the way of everything else and everything collects dust.

We do a weekly cleaning of our 121m2 house and it goes relatively quickly and easy because we have more space to store and organize things and open spaces clean so much faster and accumulate dust slower.

Hmm, my experience is the opposite - big spaces fill up with clutter, but in small spaces I'm a lot more mindful about where things go and whether I really need them in the first place.

But the OP's interior pictures look like awesome play spaces for the kids. Also, cute cat.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Dietrich posted:

I can tell you don't have small children.

Is this because the fire keeps the kids away? I don't understand because TVs have existed in homes for about 60 years now and nobody was mounting them above fireplaces until they started showing it in commercials about 5-10 years ago.

Aradekasta posted:

Hmm, my experience is the opposite - big spaces fill up with clutter, but in small spaces I'm a lot more mindful about where things go and whether I really need them in the first place.

I've had the same experience as you. I'd be interested in following up in a few years to see what the "extra" spaces like the basement look like. Kid stuff in particular seems to stick around for some reason. My parent's basement still has a bunch of our stuff in it, and all the junk from my sister's entire college apartment. She graduated 6 years ago. And then I look at kids like the OP's and think that they have like six times the amount of crap that I had at their age and it blows my mind. Not making personal child-rearing judgments here, just wondering how all the clutter will turn out. My wife and I are all about letting the (future) kids have a limited number of toys, and attempting to discourage relatives from buying them so we don't end up with toy bloat. I never want to be in a position where we say "we have too much stuff, we need a bigger house". We just donate/sell/trash the excess stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fire attracts kids in my experience, they also like to eat the coals when they are cold. We need to gate it off.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

LogisticEarth posted:

Is this because the fire keeps the kids away? I don't understand because TVs have existed in homes for about 60 years now and nobody was mounting them above fireplaces until they started showing it in commercials about 5-10 years ago.

No, it's because children walk up and start touching the TV, or stand about 1" in front of it and block the view for everyone else. Put it above the fireplace and they can't reach or block it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

LogisticEarth posted:

Vehicles have existed for 100 years and child carseats weren't used widely until the 1980s. They make vehicle travel safer and easier. Should we not use them because we didn't have to for the 80 years preceding that?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

photomikey posted:

Vehicles have existed for 100 years and child carseats weren't used widely until the 1980s. They make vehicle travel safer and easier. Should we not use them because we didn't have to for the 80 years preceding that?

This is a stupid discussion, but the point was that nearly since TV's were introduced there has been a number of TV cabinets, stands, or other such devices that both secure the TV and keep it above children's reach. The mantle is not the obvious solution to keep the TV out of your kid's reach, as it's at an awkward viewing angle and looks tacky, but whatever. You could easily wall mount it anywhere if you absolutely felt it necessary.

EDIT: VVVV Well that's a different situation, the reason given before was "I have kids", which didn't make any sense. But your point goes back to something I said earlier about how newer homes are large but seem to be designed very poorly, with form over function. Mounting TVs over fireplaces is a bad idea for a number of objective reasons (heat damage, viewing angle, ergonomics). If the architect is designing the room with the idea that the TV should be mounted there then they did a bad job.

TLDR: Who cares, put the TV wherever you want.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 8, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

LogisticEarth posted:

I don't understand because TVs have existed in homes for about 60 years now and nobody was mounting them above fireplaces until they started showing it in commercials about 5-10 years ago.

That's because affordable TVs weren't thin enough to easily mount above fireplaces until about 5-10 years ago.

There's one ideal place in my living room for people to congregate around and look at a wall. Coincidentally, there's a fireplace there, almost as if the architect intentionally designed it that way. I don't have my TV mounted there, because I don't care for the look and use the TV very infrequently, but where I can put it instead covers two windows and is less comfortable to watch than it would be over the fireplace.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I wouldn't put my computer monitors at 5' above the floor because I am sitting straight up when I use the computer. But the TV... I am generally laid back when I watch TV. I don't understand the "OH THE HUMANITY" reaction putting a TV above a mantle has.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have my TV above the mantle because my house was built in the late 1800's when people didn't have TV and gathered around... the fireplace. I've never had any discomfort watching it from the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I have my TV above the mantle because my house was built in the late 1800's when people didn't have TV and gathered around... the fireplace. I've never had any discomfort watching it from the couch.

I have a 1940's house with a huge fireplace smack in the middle of the living room. It's not ideal but above the mantle is really the only place we could put one without blocking a window or door. If you get the angle right it's not that bad to watch. Ideally we'd have a TV room but not happening in this place.

Nice house, I've never been a fan of the planned treeless neighborhoods but from the time I've spent in the Midwest they are all the rage. I was not expecting the level of trim inside. The moldings are lovely!

Dietrich posted:

Not sure if that's exactly how it works but yeah it's pretty random if you get the toy even with perfect alignment.

I worked in an arcade for a while, our crane machines had a dial inside the coin box to adjust the win percentage.

Dirty Beluga fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 10, 2014

• Locked thread