Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

tsa posted:

Basically it's one doctor's opinion about things and should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

The books are both a compilation of a host of other information and are well referenced.

Since you're interested, he has another excellent book on addiction, "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Apologies for not replying directly earlier. Having been through many of the same tribulations, I understand where you're coming from and why. But your experience is individualized, your response is emotional, and your advice is not evidence-based. Part of the point I'm making is that ADHD kids don't have to suffer through all the tough lessons that you and I did before they figure things out. With understanding of the causes and effective treatments - treatments that actually improve the physiology of the brain, not just pump synapses full of neurotransmitters that temporarily reduce impulsivity and heighten euphoria - these kids can go through life without having to flunk out of school or gently caress up key relationships, and come out far ahead of where they might otherwise have gotten by learning "the hard way".

I should have tempered my words and don't actually think anyone posting is a moron, but from the extensive amount of reading I've done on the subject, this is where the science is headed and the old gene-based theories are quickly being proven simplistic and incomplete. If you suffer from ADHD or love someone who does, it's really worth researching how CBT and other therapy that addresses underlying issues can physically change your brain and improve your life (and how negative stress in early life profoundly alter the development of the prefrontal cortex and other parts of the brain responsible for executive function and impulse control). The impacts of effective therapy are that much more profound in children, whose brains are still changing at a much more rapid pace than adults (but as recent research on neuroplasticity has shown, the theory that adult brains are hardwired is out).

It's a fascinating and cutting edge area of science. In the grand scheme of things really know gently caress all about the brain and the conventional wisdom is going to change many times over in the next few decades.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Buskas posted:

Thanks for your careful analysis and deep insight - your gut feel surely is not in any way influenced by bias and is an effective rebuttal of the book and its sources.

Yes, because by using exacting researching methods such as "flipping through the book" and using definitive scholarly phrasing such as "rubbed me the wrong way" and "creeped me out" to express my obviously extensively researched view of the book, my "rebuttal" is clearly intended to be regarded as careful insight and deep analysis and not a mere remark about my initial impression obtained from ten minutes of jumping around the Amazon preview so I could simply get a sense of it. Clearly.

quote:

Did you know that through the vast majority of human history, children spent most of their youth primarily with adults? That as class sizes and parents' work demands have increased, childhood mental illness (including ADHD), aggression, violence and suicide have all skyrocketed?

The increase in kids being hosed up and having mental health and behavior issues has also been pretty strongly attributed to the decrease/elimination of free, unstructured play and even recess, which turns out is pretty crucial for a child's normal mental development. It's replaced with more sedentary academic instruction, and more adult-directed organized activities, which can cause stress and don't help kids develop cognitive skills and whatnot nearly as well as unstructured play does. Also there's a compelling inverse relation between ADHD prevalence and amount of recess/physical activity kids get. This is one of those science news/research topics that I like reading about, so I read about this kind of stuff fairly often. However, I hadn't come across the idea that "peer-attachment" over "parent-attachment" is really to blame until I peeked into that book.

quote:

I'm not saying home schooling is the answer, but we need to re-think how children are being raised and, more importantly, the underlying causes of mental illness - not just drugs that help us cope.

I agree with you here, at least fundamentally. I do believe that a lot of these mental disorders are really just biological variation in how human brains work and that they become disorders not because the kid is broken, but because the whole environment is pretty broken. Still, removing the kid from the broken environment because they have a brain structure that makes dealing with the environment extra hard seems like an all-around bad idea, even if public school sucks too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Buskas posted:

Apologies for not replying directly earlier. Having been through many of the same tribulations, I understand where you're coming from and why. But your experience is individualized, your response is emotional, and your advice is not evidence-based. Part of the point I'm making is that ADHD kids don't have to suffer through all the tough lessons that you and I did before they figure things out. With understanding of the causes and effective treatments - treatments that actually improve the physiology of the brain, not just pump synapses full of neurotransmitters that temporarily reduce impulsivity and heighten euphoria - these kids can go through life without having to flunk out of school or gently caress up key relationships, and come out far ahead of where they might otherwise have gotten by learning "the hard way".

I should have tempered my words and don't actually think anyone posting is a moron, but from the extensive amount of reading I've done on the subject, this is where the science is headed and the old gene-based theories are quickly being proven simplistic and incomplete. If you suffer from ADHD or love someone who does, it's really worth researching how CBT and other therapy that addresses underlying issues can physically change your brain and improve your life (and how negative stress in early life profoundly alter the development of the prefrontal cortex and other parts of the brain responsible for executive function and impulse control). The impacts of effective therapy are that much more profound in children, whose brains are still changing at a much more rapid pace than adults (but as recent research on neuroplasticity has shown, the theory that adult brains are hardwired is out).

It's a fascinating and cutting edge area of science. In the grand scheme of things really know gently caress all about the brain and the conventional wisdom is going to change many times over in the next few decades.

Except that I didn't say anything about medical treatment, and neither should you. That is between the OP and his child's pediatrician.

All kids have to suffer through the tough lessons, not just ones with ADD. If you take a perfectly normal kid and made sure he had nothing but one on one instruction custom tailored to him, he will fail horribly as soon as that no longer happens. Public school is far from an ideal academic environment, but that's not the only reason people go to school. The question the OP (and most other parents) asked was "How can I change the world to meet my child's needs?" The question they should be asking is "How can I prepare my child for a world that is completely apathetic to their individual needs." Because that's where they're going, like it or not.

OP: You will die some day. God willing, your day will be before your daughter's. As tempting as it is to remove all obstacles in her path, you need to teach her to be able to deal with them on her own. They only get harder, so the longer you wait, the worse it will be. This isn't ADHD advice (although ADHD certainly makes the obstacles harder), this is an absolute truth for us all.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 5, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've got a buddy into alternative medicine and he's managed to cure a lot of kids of their ADD by holding them underwater for extended periods of time. They stop spazzing out and just sit there all quiet like. It's a huge improvement.

• Locked thread