Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Problem description: After a family member installed a critical update for Windows 8.1 on his Vaio laptop yesterday, the machine started displaying certain items incorrectly. The black border that appears around YouTube videos if you play them in, say, Theater Mode on-site is red instead of black; in addition, any black shadows or elements in the video itself are displayed red instead of black. (The same goes for the thumbnail images for the videos promoted on the right edge of the screen. No other black elements onscreen, however - the title of the video, etc. - are affected.) The Vaio boot screen is also backgrounded red instead of black. The leftmost icon on the Windows taskbar is now backgrounded by a tile of red (whereas before it was a tile of black), and the taskbar itself has irregular horizontal pink-red stripes.

At my direction, he took screenshots of the problem using the Print Screen key, but they didn't show any abnormalities when viewed on my computer (though he insisted the problems showed up in the photos when viewed on his). I was able to see what was going on only when he took photos of the screen using an external camera.

He tried using System Restore to go back before the update was installed, but the problem remained. I've Googled this problem and have encountered a few problems like it, which are attributed to everything from deleted boot files to a loose connection to the comp overheating, but nothing that really matches it. It seems like a hardware issue to me, but it's odd that it's manifesting only in these very specific circumstances. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attempted fixes: Turned it on & off; used System Restore

Recent changes: Installed a critical update to Windows 8.1; restored to previous state afterward.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs: Sony Vaio SVT15112CXS; Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz processor; 8.00 GB installed RAM; Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Update the video adapter drivers, that will likely correct the issue. If you need more assistance, please provide some information about the computer, including the model or at least some basic specs. What you posted has the actual models removed so doesn't really mean anything.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Is it possible to connect an external monitor to the laptop to see if the symptoms persist?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Yes if your laptop supports external displays.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I don't think he has an extra monitor available, unfortunately, though I'll double-check.

I've updated the OP with more accurate specs. The problem persisted after the video adapter drivers were updated. He did report that switching to low-contrast mode does make the problem go away, though that's not an optimal display for him, so it's not a long-term solution.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
OK, he did have a spare monitor available to hook up, and the problems don't show up on the external monitor (save for the boot screen problem; the boot screen just doesn't show on the external monitor).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Might have to do with the drivers for the laptop Display device, not the Video card. See if that can be updated/rolled back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Try this for fun:

Calibrate your display
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/calibrate-your-display

And this?

Open the Color Management control panel.
Go to the Advanced tab.
Click "Change system defaults..."
Go to the Advanced tab in the Color Management - System Defaults dialog.
Turn on "Use Windows display calibration" and click Close.
Now go back to the Devices tab, change profiles there and click "Set as Default Profile" as usual.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread