Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Mmm Bop tape dying gag had me in stitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What the heck was actually on that mix tape? Some really old country music if Joel said it was before his time

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Aces High posted:

What the heck was actually on that mix tape? Some really old country music if Joel said it was before his time

Hank Williams Senior.

Alone and Forsaken is the song that's playing in the end - it also showed up in one of the trailers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Travis really leaves behind a lot of ammo in the first 20 minutes.

Aces High posted:

I think he was just talking about the mix tape in general. Not the music.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 21, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Holy moley, have an Ellie Joely Christmas this year.

By the time we re-recorded this, I had already completely edited the first take. Waste not, want not I guess.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's just not Christmas without crazy mountain-man slaughter. :allears:

e: and smoke bombs are super useful against human enemies, especially with upgrades. Even barring escapes, enemies don't tend to fire into smoke clouds so you can really easily do takedowns on people inside and dissappear: you can take out two or three people and disappear easily even with loud takedowns, and then shoot people who are out in the open nice and easily. They're easily as effective as molotovs or nail bombs, just used in different situations (couple of guys together with someone else nearby).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 26, 2014

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
During this section I was fully expecting the big fight at the end of the episode to end with Ellie putting down the rifle, and then immediately getting kidnapped by the bandit leader or something, and Joel'd have to go rescue her.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are you playing this on the PS3 or PS4?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I believe it's the PS3 - in one of the early episodes they say something like "and now it's on the PS4 too, so you have no excuse not to get it."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did they actually manage to clear all the mushroom-heads out of Pittsburgh? Huh.

Incidentally, the "76 lookouts" are probably not actually 76 people but instead people posting a lookout near Interstate Highway 76, which is near Pittsburgh.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Murder Truck

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Aces High posted:

man this LP is going to remind how goddamn LONG this game is. Don't get me wrong, sometimes having a linear game that is about as long as any other grindy rpg is fine but sometimes you just want to sit down and blow through a game in an hour or two.

The length is very impressive, but it's also really front-loaded. Summer is the longest season, and while the game is at its best in the second-to-last season, it sort of gets a huge dose of ending fatigue by the tail-end.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The length is very impressive, but it's also really front-loaded. Summer is the longest season, and while the game is at its best in the second-to-last season, it sort of gets a huge dose of ending fatigue by the tail-end.

True. I was just about ready to be done with this game once spring rolled around. Then again, I was powering through half of the game in one night.

Also, I think you guys should be able to mitigate some of the damage from Murder Truck by sprinting. Joel looked like he was just walking through while the truck chewed through him.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I really love the bit where you sneak out at night because if you do it stealthy, once the guys start dropping down it's really easy to position yourself where they drop down in front of you and shiv them, and you can do this repeatedly before they notice the bodies.

My brother and I dubbed this technique the "shiv train".

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Really awesome LP so far. I've been in stitches, which probably isn't the best idea with food poisoning but gently caress it, y'all are hilarious.

And for the love of god, please use a brick! Brick + Joel's Fist of the North Star = Not Dying.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Experts of this game might notice that Travis has missed a few things up until now. Here he rectifies that.

Thanks to Ashmonsterr for the thing.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was the best ending to a video yet.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I like Sam. What a nice kid.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Most LP's of this game tend to be on the serious side, this one however is probably the funniest one I've seen of the game and the part at the end with Sam was, for me, the funniest thing I've seen in an LP for a while.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is where the game lost me. "Look at how much DARKER and EDGIER we are than The Walking Dead!"

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?
:munch:

Judge Tesla posted:

Most LP's of this game tend to be on the serious side, this one however is probably the funniest one I've seen of the game and the part at the end with Sam was, for me, the funniest thing I've seen in an LP for a while.

Agreed, I don't think I've seen anybody pull off comedy in that particular spot. Loving it big time.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Henry ruined breakfast. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was waiting for a joke followed by uproarious laughter after the screen faded to black and you did not disappoint.

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

Henry ruined breakfast. :colbert:

False, Henry had a hot lead supplement with his breakfast.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize it would completely destroy this intricate cutscene work but I wonder what would happen if Sam getting bitten was variable based on how you dealt with the return of DEATH TRUCK(tm).

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I don't even remember Sam being bitten? But I guess that's why he was asking about people being bitten being still themselves or dead?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Zain posted:

I don't even remember Sam being bitten? But I guess that's why he was asking about people being bitten being still themselves or dead?

I want to say he was bitten during the last bit of the sniper section, maybe right before the murder truck showed up. I remember seeing an infected on him, but I didn't see him get bitten. I could be wrong though.

But yeah, he was asking because he had a bite on his leg.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Well that was a loving waste of two perfectly interesting characters.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bathroomrage posted:

Otherwise it wouldn't be dark and edgy.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

To be fair, the game really does show that Henry goes out of his way to baby Sam, so that Sam isn't very good at fending for himself. That he'd accidentally get bitten or scratched supposed to be sad and/or indicative of how Henry failed to really prepare him for when poo poo hits the fan.

That, and Elly and Joel are supposed to be that super-lucky when it comes to not being infected/turning.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

bman in 2288 posted:

To be fair, the game really does show that Henry goes out of his way to baby Sam, so that Sam isn't very good at fending for himself. That he'd accidentally get bitten or scratched supposed to be sad and/or indicative of how Henry failed to really prepare him for when poo poo hits the fan.

That, and Elly and Joel are supposed to be that super-lucky when it comes to not being infected/turning.

I'd believe that if the whole point of Henry's character wasn't that he was just far too tough on Sam and was supposed to be a mirror for Joel to realize what could have been if he didn't let Ellie be useful.

Also when he got bit was painfully obvious: At the end of the sniper section when Henry and Sam get tackled by infected. I guess it just plays to why I don't like zombie media too much, even if The Last of Us is at least fairly evocative, it's still cheap and contrived like most zombie stories.

I really got my hopes up that they were gonna do more with those characters when Joel had his crisis over Henry leaving them behind but saving their lives in the river.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

I'd believe that if the whole point of Henry's character wasn't that he was just far too tough on Sam and was supposed to be a mirror for Joel to realize what could have been if he didn't let Ellie be useful.

Also when he got bit was painfully obvious: At the end of the sniper section when Henry and Sam get tackled by infected. I guess it just plays to why I don't like zombie media too much, even if The Last of Us is at least fairly evocative, it's still cheap and contrived like most zombie stories.

I really got my hopes up that they were gonna do more with those characters when Joel had his crisis over Henry leaving them behind but saving their lives in the river.

I feel the same since the zombie stuff I've seen recently just shows that zombies are forever. If a group of survivors manage to get to a submarine and scope out the inside of it over three days to make sure it was clear of zombies then *Something~* would happen so that there'd be zombies anyway. Either they'd just spawn out of a dark corner like in Minecraft or someone would die and become a zombie or someone would look in a footlocker and one would climb out like a contortionist.

I just want a zombie game with partners that all get along that isn't LFD because I'm not an enormous fan of First person shooters.

Spenpai
Mar 28, 2013

Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?
:munch:

bathroomrage posted:

Unfortunately it seems like the popularity of the subject has blown up in such a big way it becomes difficult not to fall in line with typical zombie story conventions and morality plays. That being said I think The Last of Us tries to avoid them by focusing on the characters' personal growth.

It just kind of blows that so many minor characters in this game don't really develop much, if at all.

Spenpai fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 23, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

RareAcumen posted:

I just want a zombie game with partners that all get along that isn't LFD because I'm not an enormous fan of First person shooters.

Sorry, but I can't help feeling like that would be piss-boring. Ever since Night of the living Dead, zombie stories have been about human conflicts - personality clashes, hidden prejudices coming to the fore, the veneer of civilisation crumbling and a society declining into barbarism. If you make everybody happy-go-lucky and lovey-dovey care bears all the tension, dread and suspense of the zombie siege mentality melts away and you're left with a cohesive group of people who Get Along Just Fine Thanks and can easily defend themselves against brainless, shambling corpses that just aren't scary or particularly dangerous by themselves. If people behaved sensibly and cooperatively in zombie media there would be no conflict, no drama, no plot, no story and no point. In fact, the zombies themselves are kind of secondary to that. They're just another means of applying pressure to the group in the same way hunger, disease, isolation or any other corrosive X-factor works.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Sorry, but I can't help feeling like that would be piss-boring.

Personally I'm just sick of scenarios where people are forced into small communities for survival and the years drag on and on and even two years into the end of the world and people are still sniping at each other like siblings who stole their favorite toy. I'm not saying that everything has to be sunshine, lollipops and rainbows all the time forever but I'd be great with less making GBS threads on each other all the time.

I'm not saying that everyone has to have perfect luck and constantly trip over abandoned food trucks that'll keep everyone fed for the next 7 months all the time either!

I'm also getting kinda down on the whole: 'What the gently caress is wrong with you, Grown Adult?! How could you teach a young/ten yr old child how to safely use a gun in this the nightmarish hellscape in which the shambling undead try to consume your flesh! '

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Travis just recently got a PS4 and The Last of Us Remastered, so he's going to try and see how recorded footage looks from it. If everything goes well, the LP from hereon-out will be the PS4 version. No guarantees right now, though.

• Locked thread