Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

No Gravitas posted:

Epilepsy warning, anyone?
Er, sorry.

(Self-inflicted snipe.)

For the new page!

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That maze puzzle felt a little bit like the movie The Shining to me. One moment you're looking at your normal present day ruins. Eerie, but they're OK and mostly harmless. :stare:

The next moment, you're warped to a point in time when those ruins were still fresh. :gonk:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

That maze was insanely offputting, holy poo poo.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hnng! Was Bad Apple one of the songs from Super Gitaroo Man, by any chance?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Unlikely, given that the song is Alestromeria Records's remix of Lotus Land Story's third stage theme, Bad Apple!!. I don't think it'd fit in thematically with Gitaroo Man at any rate.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

I always thought it was a Touhou thing.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Today, we visit a whopping great jumping puzzle segment, and I make an extremely poor showing of myself.

Somehow the fact that it's optional softens the 'terrible platforming' impact, a bit.

A bit.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 18, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Adding to Lucy's shopping list: Grappling Hook.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

berryjon posted:

Adding to Lucy's shopping list: Grappling Hook.

Think she'll settle for the hi-jump boots?

Loud-rear end goddamn beep around 13:20, I'm so sorry :(

We are one set-piece away from the credits, friends. Look forward to it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

ArcMage posted:

Think she'll settle for the hi-jump boots?

At this point, I think nothing less than a jetpack will suffice.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

At this point, I think nothing less than a jetpack will suffice.

Also, delete gravity.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Every jump you missed, that I could tell, was because you jumped way too early. First person platforming becomes much easier if you look down a bit on the runup to your jump, so you can more easily tell when you've reached the edge of a platform.

Also I think you missed a thing in the desert. Somewhere in there there's a liquid metal looking thing that ripples and undulates like water exposed to intense sound. I seem to recall it being around the base of a hill like the monolith, but I don't remember exactly what landmarks are around it, sorry. If you don't want to go back and systematically search the entire desert for it to show it off though I totally understand.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 20, 2015

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Crigit posted:

First person platforming
That's, I mean, more or less the exact summation of the problem with first-person platforming, is figuring out where your feet are. I have no HUD or crosshairs, here, to give me any indication of my view angle, and thus no indication of where the edge is, even if I do stare at my nonexistent feet.

This is how I end up performing in these circumstances. :saddowns:

quote:

Somewhere in there there's a thing If you don't want to go back and systematically search the entire desert for it to show it off though I totally understand.
Once I wrap the game itself up, I'll be taking a summary round of 'go look for a thing' requests, should anyone have any, so I'll be happy to systematically search the desert for it to show it off.

There's a little shrine that I glanced at off to the right in part 3 there which I'm not actually sure I demonstrated, for instance, so I'm definitely going back for that.

That, then, was the desert.

For sheer setpiece density, clearly the best chapter. A really hard call between Endless Dive and Going Down for overall best, though, for me.

This next bit, though?

:getin:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I've been out of service for a while, so I know I'm a bit late, but wow, 4.3 was really beautiful.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
This game is surreal and fantastic. Looking forward to the next installment!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, I liked Journey's desert better than this one.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

I have to say, I liked Journey's desert better than this one.

C'mon, that's unfair.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I can only presume the wait for the next update is because Lucy is still falling.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I rise, like the leftovers from yesterday's curry.

I don't want to give you the LPer sob story, so instead, I'll give you the end.

This is it.

I have nothing further to say about it. It speaks for itself.

edit: I have to say that that video is arsed all the hell up. I'm sorry. :( I'll figure out what the hell I did and upload a better one shortly.

re-edit: its me, im arsed all the hell up. Not sure I like the quality, though.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 6, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ArcMage posted:

This is it.

The hell? Uh...

This game could have been so much more...

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
I have nothing good to say about the ending of this game. It's hard in an uninteresting way, leading to frustration, and it is so pretentious I wanted to reach through my monitor and throttle the designer when I saw the words pop up with the fade to white. Fortunately (most of) the rest of it is interesting and creative and really cool to look at and explore.

Thanks for the run ArcMage, it was neat to see someone else's take on it.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 7, 2015

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

No Gravitas posted:

The hell? Uh...

This game could have been so much more...

You've hit on my exact reaction, my first time through the game. I was buckled in for another probably two chapters, now that an active hostile agency was revealed. But, nope!

In a way, it really is dreamlike. Just as you get to the interesting bit, you wake up.

I consider this the game's greatest flaw, and I really don't have any faith in the idea that those last frames are a sequel tease.

As an art piece, as I'd said, the abrupt ending immediately explains itself as an outright statement that the game is a dream metaphor. The title suggests that it's about birth, but I can't analyze it into that.

If one of you can, lay it on us.

In the end, though, it values its statement far more than it values itself as a game.

That's been it. If there's anything else you'd like to see, tell me, and I'll try to make it happen. I feel I owe it to you.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Interesting - nay, fascinating game, but for all its creativity that was a really flaccid ending. Even considering the dream metaphor, I think it could have been done better.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

what.

WHAT?

That's IT?

Is there any indication at all that Lucy can make those super-jumps at the end there, or are you supposed to leap-of-faith it the entire way?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

berryjon posted:

what.

WHAT?

That's IT?

Is there any indication at all that Lucy can make those super-jumps at the end there, or are you supposed to leap-of-faith it the entire way?

There are windstreams that carry you across those super-jumps at the end there; leaping in any way is usually fatal, in fact. The segment appears to be a 'hold w to win' segment, under ideal framerate conditions. Actually jumping is mostly a bad move.

And, yes. That's it. The eynd. I'd said it would be like this.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
As endings go, that wasn't even "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Feels very arbitrary. They could have done much more with it. But then, I never expected much from the ending. The journey was often amazing. How could anything live up to that?

It's been wonderful to watch, ArcMage. Thank you!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I honestly didn't mind the ending all that much, although if you'd played through the entire game and after all of that trauma at the end, I can understand being disappointed. Plus, if you didn't get that NaissanceE meant "birth," the whole thing would seem absolutely pointless. Here, the statement gets priority over the "game," to the overall detriment of the piece.

...So like is that door at the end the vagina or...?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Spookyelectric posted:

I honestly didn't mind the ending all that much, although if you'd played through the entire game and after all of that trauma at the end, I can understand being disappointed. Plus, if you didn't get that NaissanceE meant "birth," the whole thing would seem absolutely pointless. Here, the statement gets priority over the "game," to the overall detriment of the piece.

...So like is that door at the end the vagina or...?

Sometimes a door is just a door.

I'll be assembling a screenshot selection for the final leg for sure, and neatening up the OP, but, again, if there's anything else you'd like to see, let me know.

You're a small audience, but apparently dedicated, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the LP, maybe the game, and perhaps even the commentary.

Thank you all for watching!

:h:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

C'mon, that's unfair.

Yeah, it is. Sorry. Journey's desert wouldn't even fit in this game, where it doesn't seem like you're supposed to know where to go. It's still a little disorienting to watch someone go through a trackless desert.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really like Walking Simulators, but man this really earns its Mixed rating on Steam. poo poo that running segment looked so promising.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

SSNeoman posted:

I really like Walking Simulators, but man this really earns its Mixed rating on Steam. poo poo that running segment looked so promising.

I imagine it would have done better with a "tourist mode" menu option that turned off the more bullshit platforming. And, y'know, an ending that wasn't a total "OH GOD HOW DO WE END THIS?" cop-out.

Still, it's really lovely and evocative, and I had a great time watching it all.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I seriously cannot imagine playing this on the Oculus Rift. It would be terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

Oh my word. Minecraft on an Oculus is bad enough. This would reach straight through your eyes and stop your heart.

ArcMage, the LP and commentary and to an extent the game as well were a blast, thank you.

• Locked thread