Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Problem description: When I log into my laptop, the Windows login screen acts as if a key is being held down (the prompt quickly goes from blank to ***********). It seems like this stops when I hit another key: I'm able to hit ctrl-A and enter my password without seeing more unwanted asterisks pop up. Every key seems to work fine with the exception of "S," which doesn't respond to key presses.

Attempted fixes: Checked/re-set the keyboard's connections to the motherboard. Pried off the key cap and fiddled around with the scissor switch, I couldn't type an "S" no matter what. Plugged in an external USB keyboard and it did work, so I don't know if this means I should buy a replacement keyboard or if there is something else wrong.

Recent changes: Spilled a small amount of water on my laptop. Immediately shut it off, took it apart and let it dry for 24h. When I put it back together and turned it back on my keyboard was having this problem.

--

Operating system: Win7 64bit

System specs: Dell XPS 17 L702X

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
It could be a dirty electrical connection on the key.
If you can get to the actual connector or the key (i.e. the electrical connectors), get some 93%+ (I think that's the best) isopropyl alcohol (also known as denatured alcohol...rubbing alcohol as well. drug store should have it) and a q-tip and clean the connections and let that dry (will only take a few minutes). You gotta use the really pure stuff as the 80% will leave a residue. Cleaned/refurbished computer keyboards at college one summer using this technique.

• Locked thread