Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Problem description: I added a DDR3 set of 2x4gb ram to my existing 2x2gb, and after booting noticed I'd gone from 4gb to 8gb. I ran the Crucial scanner and it shows I have 2 4gb and 2 empty slots.

Attempted fixes: Googled a bunch of pages about people whose new RAM didn't work. Posted here.

Recent changes: (above)

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

System specs: Home-built with a ASUS P8P67 motherboard. New RAM is Crucial 2x4gb sport DDR3-1600, old is Corsair VS2GBKIT667D2 some kind of DDR3-1300.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try putting the new RAM in the slots where the old RAM is and see if it shows up completely.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zogo posted:

You could try putting the new RAM in the slots where the old RAM is and see if it shows up completely.

I swapped the new and old RAM between slots, and it didn't have any impact. I also saw on the sticker of the old RAM that it was DDR3-1300, which means I was wrong and dumb about what I thought the old RAM was; looked at the wrong receipt I guess. I did look in the BIOS and see that the RAM speed is targeting 1372mHz, if that means anything.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 27, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If you put only the new RAM in does it show up as 8GB?

I know sometimes mixing different brands of RAM can cause issues.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zogo posted:

If you put only the new RAM in does it show up as 8GB?

I know sometimes mixing different brands of RAM can cause issues.

Yes, I took out the old RAM and it still shows up at 8GB.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
You never want to mix RAM with different timings or voltages as it can cause problems. I've not personally tried forcing the RAM timings to match the worst of a mixed set of RAM, but it might work, but would at a minimum slow down your new ram

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zarc posted:

You never want to mix RAM with different timings or voltages as it can cause problems. I've not personally tried forcing the RAM timings to match the worst of a mixed set of RAM, but it might work, but would at a minimum slow down your new ram

Yeah, they're both 1.5V CL9, I would've thought that would be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
That's not sufficient. All the timings need to be the same or you're just asking for trouble if it works at all.

• Locked thread