Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I don't think that the leader of a movement needs to be involved in the actual fighting (it can help sometimes) but Boudicca did raise an army against the Romans and was instrumental in its execution

MegaGatts posted:

Then give us a historical fight with her in it. Like boudicca vs. Sonni Ali. I'll give it to the lady on this one. She got her hands dirty Sonni Ali was p much a decadent murderous poof.

this is basically the equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I don't think that the leader of a movement needs to be involved in the actual fighting (it can help sometimes) but Boudicca did raise an army against the Romans and was instrumental in its execution

this is basically the equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad"

Yea, dumb poo poo like that is kinda how GBS works.

Emperor Tiberius with one(1) hand grenade and a Bowie knife vs. Charles Martel with 10 throwing stars and a chainsaw?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

MegaGatts posted:

Yea, dumb poo poo like that is kinda how GBS works.

Emperor Tiberius with one(1) hand grenade and a Bowie knife vs. Charles Martel with 10 throwing stars and a chainsaw?

lol true I was getting way too serious there, thanks

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Al Gore with a sock full of nickels vs James Cameron with a broom handle

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Al Gore with a sock full of nickels vs James Cameron with a broom handle

How many nickles are we talking about here? Are they rolled or unrolled in the sock?

Edit: and what kind of sock?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
man, king richard the lion-hearted's death was badass

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

women are people who can do things dude, its not surprising.

pretty controversial IMO

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
:gas:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
sez the nitroua ddict sex fiend

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah that totally invalidates the fact that a woman raised an army and actually threated an occupying Roman force

i said it was cool. the whole thing is cool

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
another cool anecdote- there's a common story about how alexander the great wept because there were no more worlds to conquer when he was forced to turn back at the indus, but the actual quote from plutarch is this:

Alexander wept when he heard Anaxarchus discourse about an infinite number of worlds, and when his friends inquired what ailed him, "Is it not worthy of tears," he said, "that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we have not yet become lords of a single one?"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

another cool anecdote- there's a common story about how alexander the great wept because there were no more worlds to conquer when he was forced to turn back at the indus, but the actual quote from plutarch is this:

Alexander wept when he heard Anaxarchus discourse about an infinite number of worlds, and when his friends inquired what ailed him, "Is it not worthy of tears," he said, "that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we have not yet become lords of a single one?"

So gangster

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Effectronica posted:

lol dude a sissy cryin n poo poo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my fave portrayal of alex da great is from larry gonick's cartoon history books, where hes this wide eyed fresh faced fella who goes "gosh! how novel" as elephants step on all of his guys

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

my fave portrayal of alex da great is from larry gonick's cartoon history books, where hes this wide eyed fresh faced fella who goes "gosh! how novel" as elephants step on all of his guys

A lot of depictions of Alexander seem to go with "naive, enthusiastic lad" for some reason. One of history's great pointless violent mental cases.

Romans are scumbags, but at least they created a functioning empire that lasted more than ten years.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
When Julius Caesar landed at Adrumetum in Africa, he tripped and fell on his face. This would have been considered a fatal omen by his army, but with admirable presence of mind he exclaimed, "Thus I take possession of thee, O Africa."

this summer, michael cera IS: julius caesar

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
octavian woulda slapped the dogshit out of alexander for that "to the strongest" nonsense

succession, motherfucker. priority one. comprende?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

Boudicca is cool. In that period of Roman history the only comparable setback is Teurtoburger Wald. But for some reason history nerds are more into the white Germanic men killing Romans, not some witchy Celtic woman.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Agag posted:

Boudicca is cool. In that period of Roman history the only comparable setback is Teurtoburger Wald. But for some reason history nerds are more into the white Germanic men killing Romans, not some witchy Celtic woman.

I'll be hoinest, strong women turn me on

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Agag posted:

A lot of depictions of Alexander seem to go with "naive, enthusiastic lad" for some reason. One of history's great pointless violent mental cases.

Romans are scumbags, but at least they created a functioning empire that lasted more than ten years.

when youre a wedge you can lanquish as a door stop or split the hell out of some knotty trunks

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'll be hoinest, strong women turn me on

:):hf::)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also diogenes:

"lol alexander gtfo my sun u fuckin up my tan"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
alexander: hello i am iskander megas
diogenes: [dmx barking noises]

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

nomadologique posted:

when youre a wedge you can lanquish as a door stop or split the hell out of some knotty trunks

When the only tool you have is a flamethrower every job looks like fun.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

nomadologique posted:

sez the nitroua ddict sex fiend

This guy gets it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
plato: smoke weed e'ryday
diogenes: YOUR LITTLE LUNGS ARE TOO SMALL TO HOTBOX WITH GOD

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

socrates: human is featherless biped
diogenes: guess that makes me a cannibal (dies bc he is a dog who ate a chicken bone)

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
oh that diogenes

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

pyf operación

mine is ogro :shobon:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

pyf operación

mine is ogro :shobon:
theres a joke about this involving tossing fascists but i cant remember how it goes

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I'm the littel black boy on the left with the bucket of spare parts

• Locked thread