Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Luvcow posted:

Buy shelled sunflower seed if you can. More expensive but birds love it and no shells to clean up.

if you feed birds you're an evil motherfucker like literally evil I want to kill every one of you feeders you fuckers are destroyign birdwatching and the earth god i'm SO loving MAD RIGHT NOW gently caress YOU DAAAAAAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Viridiant posted:

Stop buying premade bird houses you lazy fucks. Make your own. It's stupidly easy. AND STOP USING CEDAR. Pine or Plywood last longer.

I'm getting tired of having to repeat this.

We don't all have the luxury of having our own saws and screwdrivers and whatnot. Also, many of our members are seniors who lack the dexterity.

You can buy a premade AND support your fellow birdheads by ordering from one of our pros in the Bird Stuff Cheap subforum.

I feel like we've had this same conversation about 50 times, and honestly I think it's just a thinly veiled excuse to show off more goddamn pictures of those same three glued-together poo poo-rear end birdhouses you're so loving proud of for some reason.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
its about ethics in birdwatching journalism

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

We don't all have the luxury of having our own saws and screwdrivers and whatnot. Also, many of our members are seniors who lack the dexterity.

You can buy a premade AND support your fellow birdheads by ordering from one of our pros in the Bird Stuff Cheap subforum.

I feel like we've had this same conversation about 50 times, and honestly I think it's just a thinly veiled excuse to show off more goddamn pictures of those same three glued-together poo poo-rear end birdhouses you're so loving proud of for some reason.

Minimalist bird houses are an actual thing. This is a respected field with a long history behind it. Birds don't give a poo poo about your overproduced gaudy pre-made bird houses and in fact there are studies showing that they actively avoid them.

If you're too old to build a birdhouse you shouldn't be keeping one at all because you certainly won't be able to keep it clean.

BTW

My latest :D

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Yeah, that was also your latest the first time you posted it... in 2008. :rolleyes:

What's wrong, you been out of Elmer's for 6 years? I'll send you a tube if it'll get you to stop posting that abomination. I notice you never post any current pics of it, probably because it's a half-rotten squirrel den at this point.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine

Mola Yam posted:

Remember this movie??

No one does.

It amuses me that I have not heard of this almost 4 year old movie until now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yeah, that was also your latest the first time you posted it... in 2008. :rolleyes:

What's wrong, you been out of Elmer's for 6 years? I'll send you a tube if it'll get you to stop posting that abomination. I notice you never post any current pics of it, probably because it's a half-rotten squirrel den at this point.

oh cool is minimalism the hot new thing for bwf to have cargo cult hatred towards

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

oh cool is minimalism the hot new thing for bwf to have cargo cult hatred towards

gently caress off, Andy. You've had it out for me ever since you fell asleep against a log in the 2010 birdwatching competition in Ann Arbor.

It's not my responsibility to wake you up, and I'm not going to sabotage my chances of winning by wasting valuable bird time on your dumb rear end. Maybe if you didn't get so drat drunk the night before, you wouldn't have these problems.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Uh yeah okay, but Andy wasn't the one who confused a European Starling for a Grackle. :roflolmao:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
*posts on a random forum complaining about "quality posts"*

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvEgWINUFc

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Viridiant posted:

Uh yeah okay, but Andy wasn't the one who confused a European Starling for a Grackle. :roflolmao:

My dead grandma didn't make that mistake, either. Because she wasn't conscious to have the opportunity. Much like Andy.

Besides, one of the judges told me later that he agreed with me but was too much of a bitch to say anything at the time.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im not a bird watcher but i'm a bird washer. thats because (dramatic music plays ) im a bird bath irl

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

My dead grandma didn't make that mistake, either. Because she wasn't conscious to have the opportunity. Much like Andy.

Besides, one of the judges told me later that he agreed with me but was too much of a bitch to say anything at the time.

:jerkbag:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Sorry guys but as of today their will be no more discussion of dinosaurs on birdwatchingforums.com, you have the right to believe these are the ancestors of birds or were created by god but you don't have the right to cause a 20 page derail in the historical birdwatching thread & spam the thread with some man spreading unseemly orifices.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

jalopybrown posted:

Sorry guys but as of today their will be no more discussion of dinosaurs on birdwatchingforums.com, you have the right to believe these are the ancestors of birds or were created by god but you don't have the right to cause a 20 page derail in the historical birdwatching thread & spam the thread with some man spreading unseemly orifices.

Agreed.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Never knew that hairychested nutscratchers were so pervasive here, jeez

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Yeah guys a little professionalism, please. This is a serious bird watcher forum for serious bird watchers. I mean Jesus Christ The Lord you might as well post that Look Around You clip while you're at it.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
Ugh, this used to be the best and most edgy website for birdwatching until the SJWs took over, just watch me get probated for saying this

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hello from sweden . :) i am name sven and like to go on birdwatching sometimes . right now i´m studying to become an ornitologist and in my free times i build outside birdcages to putting up in trees. :)

guztaf420 posted:

Bork bork bork.

bork bork bork bork bork

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
haha anyone else notice the ukranian regional board has been pretty quiet lately

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I thought this was going to be for jaded invertebrates. poo poo.

When you're a starfish you've got 5 arms and everybody just assumes you've got a handle on everything. Well, I am tired of just barely hanging on. Gonna sit in this tide pool and wait for death to take me.

The acidification of the oceans can't happen fast enough, IMO.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

one of my bosses does bird-watching. She's a 70 year old widow and her other passion is researching brick-works, a subject on which she gives talks to local history societies pretty regularly.
In answer to your question: spergy as gently caress.

pedople being geninely interested in things is good.

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

spooky girlfriend posted:

When you're a starfish you've got 5 arms and everybody just assumes you've got a handle on everything.  Well, I am tired of just barely hanging on.  Gonna sit in this tide pool and wait for death to take me.

Death will most likely come in the form of a seagull. You see, gulls or seagulls are seabirds of the family Laridae in the sub-order Lari. They are most closely related to the terns (family Sternidae) and only distantly related to auks, skimmers, and more distantly to the waders.

Until the twenty-first century most gulls were placed in the genus Larus, but this arrangement is now known to be polyphyletic, leading to the resurrection of several genera. An older name for gulls is mew, cognate with German "Möwe", Danish "måge", Dutch "meeuw" and French "mouette"; this term can still be found in certain regional dialects.

Gulls are typically medium to large birds, usually grey or white, often with black markings on the head or wings. They typically have harsh wailing or squawking calls, stout, longish bills, and webbed feet. Most gulls, particularly Larus species, are ground-nesting carnivores, which will take live food or scavenge opportunistically. Live food often includes crabs and small fish.

Gulls have unhinging jaws which allow them to consume large prey. Apart from the kittiwakes, gulls are typically coastal or inland species, rarely venturing far out to sea. The large species take up to four years to attain full adult plumage, but two years is typical for small gulls. Large white-headed gulls are typically long-lived birds, with a maximum age of 49 years recorded for the herring gull.

[*truncated text*]

**poster went on for 37 more paragraphs, waxing lyrical on seagulls, expounding her superior knowledge of all things feathered; hoping that she gets her informative and educational post on the board before that drat Peter Viridiant churns out an (invariably inferior) knowledge post before her.**   

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

ITT we look at birds

wow nice bird

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ferroque posted:

ITT we look at birds

wow nice bird

Barnswallow

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ferroque posted:

ITT we look at birds

wow nice bird

Very good bird. :golfclap:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

just as a head's up guys i've been getting some complaints about people spamming cloachas. we are a work safe forum and if i see anyone clowning around like this there will be consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

• Locked thread