Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

401k:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

If you're not using Supersized IRAs, GTFO.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
This is pretty much the best answer. Any stock broker who thinks that he can beat the index over any considerable period is loving stupid. i loving hate stock brokers, financial analysts, etc...

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie
Don't mind me, just here to hook up with a rich capitalist.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

that's basically what i did, except only two index funds, domestic stocks & domestic bonds and i have been getting 10% yearly returns. works out okay if i live long enough to spend this money i guess

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i had been holding some stock but it hit its apex earlier this year so i sold, made about $15K, would only be worth $10K at the price it's at today so i did alright

paid down some of my student loans, now i need to hold some for taxes but i was also considering hopping on robin hood and doing some trading, anyone used it yet? i just got an invite

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i take slight umbrage at the suggestion that a 401k is equivalent to a rich capitalist's stock portfolio though. it is basically the null assumption of retirement investment, and won't bring you in any money you can spend until retirement age. it's still a good idea but it's nothing to brag about. if you don't have a 401k with at a bare minimum $100K in it by 25, just give up on living comfortably in your old age you gently caress up.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

PixieDreamGirl posted:

Don't mind me, just here to hook up with a rich capitalist.

If you're ever in Manhattan, I have some joints to recommend.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ashgromnies posted:

i take slight umbrage at the suggestion that a 401k is equivalent to a rich capitalist's stock portfolio though. it is basically the null assumption of retirement investment, and won't bring you in any money you can spend until retirement age. it's still a good idea but it's nothing to brag about. if you don't have a 401k with at a bare minimum $100K in it by 25, just give up on living comfortably in your old age you gently caress up.
My 401k has 401k in it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I once got a 1.5% return so you could say that I am very rich and smart.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

This is pretty much the best answer. Any stock broker who thinks that he can beat the index over any considerable period is loving stupid. i loving hate stock brokers, financial analysts, etc...

Thanks god for broad market ETFs, you no longer have to worry about hot stock tips and other snake oil claims.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i buy stock in toilet paper

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Stoic Commie posted:

i buy stock in toilet paper

I actually do own KMB...

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I keep a large stockpile of Dak canned hams for my retirement.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Proctor and Gamble own lots of TP brands, so if you own the stock you are indirectly investing in more TP.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 23, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Redleg posted:

I keep a large stockpile of Dak canned hams for my retirement.
wow did you let david letterman know

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
I have a diverse portfolio of Bitcoins, gold futures and Ayn Rand novels.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i'm about a initiate a long position in your mom

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

that is pretty similar to my own but i mostly use the equivalent vanguard ETFs

Prof. Faggot
May 4, 2006

Working intently on advanced Faggo-dynamics

Similar, but I go with an even split between domestic large cap, domestic small cap, domestic real estate, developing markets, and domestic bonds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harald posted:

that is pretty similar to my own but i mostly use the equivalent vanguard ETFs

My workplace has Fidelity brokerage link so Vanguard ETFs aren't commission free but ishare equities are commission free.

The three ETF portfolio idea is a good keep simple stupid investment concept but I would add a small amount of REIT ETFs for diversification/high fixed yield.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 23, 2014

james1844
Sep 6, 2010
I'm holding about 1,000 shares of AAPL and 1,800 of Pfizer in my Schwab account. Nether have been that awesome. I'm using loyal3 for the no fee trades and I've got about 70 shares of KO in that account.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol if youre saving for retirement, youre the rich mans sucker. Speculate hard and often with your savings till you strike big, thats the real american way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
100% in mint condition Star Wars action figures.

My portfolio is booming!

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im president of apple AMA

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
pm me ur social security card and i will send u free apple stocks. peace out

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
I put all my extra money into ammo and nonperishables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I have a diverse, myriad collection of beanie babies and magic cards.

I expect maturity in the next few years

• Locked thread