Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I have a mini dachshund and there's nothing she loves more than running around with a soft toy, shaking it, and UTTERLY DESTROYING IT in about five minutes. We get those 'super heavy duty' ropes, or nylon reinforced stuffed animals, and she has them eviscerated in 3-5 minutes. No joke. She loves her bones, too, so she can get her chew on with no problem, but she never seems happier than when she's tearing the everliving hell out of a soft toy. I've gone through all the possibilities available at my local pet stores, so I'm hoping maybe one of you guys has run into a dealer of like... I don't know, artisinal Kevlar ropes or something. I will order, I will pay whatever they cost, I just want my dog to be happy and not howl in distress when we have to take her toy away after three minutes lest she poo poo string for the next 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

My aunt has several large dogs that similarly have a passion for destroying stuffed animals. She scavenges for the cheapest plushies she can find during the warm months, when there are garage sales and sales at second hand shops like Goodwill. She tries to spend five cents or less per stuffed animal and keeps then in the basement in garbage bags. Every Sunday she has a plushie shredding party with her dogs, rationing it to once a week so her hoard can last all year round. It should go without saying, but she monitors her dogs during their party, then throws the remnants away (choking hazards) after their three to five minutes of bliss. If there is an indestructible stuffed animal, I do not know what it is. However, not being able to shred the plushie may frustrate your dog from its sacred shredding quest.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Ferryll's suggestion is what a lot of people end up doing, honestly. dogs that want to shred don't give a poo poo about toys they can't shred, so you just have to find a way to let them do it that won't cost you hundreds of dollars. maybe try getting her into other kinds of play, like food dispensing toys or sturdier tug toys (mootugs on etsy makes tugs from used, sterilised rubber milking tubes that dogs lose their poo poo over).

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I feel dumb, it never occurred to me to get cheaper stuff and let her have a supervised shred session. I just kept buying the expensive ones hoping she wouldn't be able to, lol.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My dog does that. We get her cheap stuffed animals, and rawhides. She adores rawhides.

The Dawn
Aug 13, 2005
A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns.
Have you tried these? http://www.tuffietoys.com/

My dog destroys toys in record time as well. He eventually destroyed these, but it took him months, rather than minutes.

The "ultimate" ones lasted longer for my tooth monster. He got to the stuffing of the octopus and the lobster quicker than the rings, for example.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The skinneeez brand of toys wont work for your dog because they don't have any stuffing and therefore are not fun, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
My dogs can shred a toy with the best of them, but this one stood up for months instead of minutes:

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-FH05022-Squeak-Fetch-Large/dp/B0002MISZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417027517&sr=8-1

• Locked thread