Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
I have avoided it for as long as humanly possible but now I must face the task of sorting the firms files and folders. Literally a mish mosh of acquired firms servers make up our network so I have a file server vm with a bunch of random vmdk's attached to it. The server has an SMB share for each vmdk holding data and I am just about out of letters :colbert:.

Luckily our contact management software is kept clean so I was able to export a list of clients to excel and use an excel macro to generate over 13,000 client folders in a clean storage space.

Now I would like to lazify (nice word huh) the next part of the task of getting files from all over the goddamn place and having the files get sorted into the correct folders. The easiest type of data to start with will be our Quickbooks data because 99 times out of 100 the QBW file name will be the same as the client name (which is how I named the folders in the new space).

Does anyone have any experience with this? I just downloaded a program called filejuggler that I will test out tonight, another one I found was called robobasket. Both look like garage written freewares (although not actually free) meant for a windows desktop and not a server but may actually serve my purpose anyway.

A real slam dunk would be if anyone can suggest an enterprise program that does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure you can whip up a powershell script that could do what you're looking for in a matter of minutes.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Necc0 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure you can whip up a powershell script that could do what you're looking for in a matter of minutes.

if thats the case then it is ME who is missing something...powershell skills

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Then prepare to have your mind blown as you automate away most of your job freeing up very valuable :justpost:ing time. Seriously powershell is pretty drat easy and as an admin your life will be much easier knowing it.

UnhappyEggWhisk
Oct 25, 2003

Mindisgone posted:

if thats the case then it is ME who is missing something...powershell skills

Use this as an opportunity to accidently delete all of your files learn PowerShell!

• Locked thread