Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I am currently living in Japan, unemployed, under a spousal visa. It's recently occurred to me that not to far away is a nerd store that sells various nerd things for significantly less than what I've seen them go for in the United States. The thing is, I know pretty much nothing about import/export laws, taxes, tariffs, and whatnot. Some google searching has merely sent me to Japan's customs website, which is... less than helpful. It just tells me that I might (or might not) need a license of some sort. I'm not sure if that would apply to selling some stuff on eBay or not.

I'm not certain how the US would handle the importing as well. Would I have to pay fees, or would my eBay customer have to pay fees? Taxes? I am a US citizen, although I know that my spouse is tax free for two years under some sort of treaty the US has with Japan? Neither of us are really clear on the details of how it works, just that we filled out a bunch of paperwork with her employer and now we pay no taxes from either country.

Basically, before I purchase any nerd stuff, I need to figure out what kind of work is going to be involved, what laws are applicable, and what kind of overhead (taxes, shipping, etc) I'd have to pay in order to determine if this is something I can really pursue profitably. I believe it is, but I don't know.

Any goons out there have any advice, or can point me in the right direction? I'm not even sure where to start looking, since google has failed me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I don't have much to offer in the way of laws, licenses, or the like, but I can say that you will have some VERY tough competition. There are throngs of Japan based online hobbyshops, comic book stores, and video shops that sell stuff at dirt cheap domestic prices. If you buy somewhat in bulk to compensate for shipping, you'll easily save a ton of money compared to buying a previously imported good.

I buy model kits almost exclusively from Japan and I save heaps of money compared to buying from US based shops, online or otherwise. We're talking paying less than half of what a kit goes for in the states.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but your chances of making any meaningful profit are low.

• Locked thread