Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Welcome to the thread about the second greatest MTGO-only format ever, Pauper! (Momir Basic isn't a real format :colbert:)

Pauper is a Magic variant in which the only legal cards are common. Not to be confused with Peasant, which allows some uncommons. There are several forms of Pauper: Standard Pauper uses only commons in Standard, while "just plain" Pauper is basically Legacy. But common. Pauper does have a banlist, which can be found here:
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/resources.aspx?x=magic/rules/pauper

Here are some useful links to help you get started!

quote:

http://pdcmagic.com/ is the premier third-party Pauper web site. They support both Standard and regular Pauper. This site is broken as hell at the time of this posting.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#online shows you a decent breakdown of the metagame.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/magic-online-general/pauper is the Salvation forum on Pauper, which is less awful than one might expect

Why did you call this an MTGO-only format? I have some common cards right here.
Pauper is really popular (hah!) on MTGO. It's a lot less common in paper, but it does happen. I don't know why it's so big on MTGO. Maybe someone posting in this thread will have some history for us. Dailies fire all the time on MTGO.

But I can't afford Sinkhole!
One reason that many prefer MTGO pauper (this may answer the above in part) is that only cards printed at common in MTGO are allowed. For cards that only made it online in Masters Edition sets, this excludes quite a few commons. The most relevant ones are High Tide, Merchant Scroll, Sinkhole and Hymn to Tourach; without the former two, an incredibly degenerate combo deck does not exist, and without the latter two Mono-black Control is merely tier 1 instead of a format-warping monster. Most places that I have seen run paper Pauper use the online banlist.

What the hell card is this that just beat me?
Be prepared to see a LOT of weird cards you didn't know existed in the first few games. The "power level" of Pauper is pretty low compared to formats where non-common cards are allowed, but not as low as you might think; Lightning Bolt, Priest of Titania, Ponder, Preordain, Counterspell, Gush, Delver, Treasure Cruise, etc etc. are all common. It's an Eternal format so of course blue is busted, but the blue beater of choice is Mulldrifter or Butt of Faeries half the time.

Is UR delver everywhere?
Yes. You cannot escape this deck. It exists in every format where both Cruise and Lightning Bolt are legal. It is eternal. It is the alpha and omega of cheap tempo decks. The good news is that it is merely a good deck in Pauper, not "head and shoulders above every other deck in the format." There are plenty of UR decks that aren't delver variants running around.

Assume I hate delver-
Good

As I was saying, assume I hate delver. What can I play?
A lot! There are plenty of great Pauper decks. There's aggro-- Goblins is my personal favorite deck, an extremely explosive aggro build that wins most ground fights; Elves, which plays like the Legacy version without any win conditions; Eye Candy, which is sort of an aggro/combo deck but relies on resolving a Kiln Fiend or Nivix Cyclops then using Artful Dodge, Assault Strobe and other spells to swing for an instant kill; and Affinity, which plays out like its older brother in Modern. There's midrange-- Tron is a deck, but it uses Fangren Marauder as its wincon. There's control, of a sort-- mono-black has Icefall, Cuombajj Witches, Chittering Rats and Ravenous Rats to take and maintain card advantage. There's even pure combo, with the Esper Sage deck that uses a 5+ card combo to mill the opponent out with Sage's Row Denizen. Between those there's all kinds of blue tempo variants (admittedly most are basically a Pauper version of UR Delver), white weenie decks that use the Nomads en-Kor and Daru Sanctifier combo to have an invincible wall, UG madness, reanimator, and a million billion rogue brews.

This sounds awesome! How do I start?!
Well, you need to have MTGO. Once you do, though, it's pretty simple. There are tons of bots who give away free cards: http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/online-magic/good-starter-bots-for-new-mtgo-playersaquiring-cards/ is a good list. Some of the sideboard cards are a bit hard to come by-- I still need Electrickery, Pyroblast, and Smash to Smithereens-- but for the most part it's pretty cheap.

What are you waiting for? Go beat someone to death with a Ninja of the Deep Hours! There's no better feeling than winning with a 4CMC 2/2.

And yes, I am running CtB. Butt of Faeries for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yay! We've started playing pauper a lot at my company since it's an easy and cheap format to get into for new players, and a challenge for us old-timers. I'm not into MTGO since I'm on a Mac and it runs like butt (just like Windows :v:).

If you're interested in trying this format out, this is my favorite Pauper deck at the moment. It's easy as hell to play - play everything as fast as you can, pump the shadowers and skirges like hell, don't worry about your own life at all.

Deck: Pauper Black Suicide Aggro v2

//Lands
19 Swamp

//Spells
4 Bonesplitter
3 Dark Favor
4 Dark Ritual
3 Geth's Verdict
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Sign in Blood

//Creatures
4 Carnophage
4 Dauthi Horror
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Vault Skirge

Display deck statistics

I have a couple changes pondered, including swapping a few of the Swamps out for Barren Moor, would be interested in anybody else's thoughts as well.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I am very sad this thread has been so slow! I've been meaning to get back into Magic via Pauper games but I never found a site I liked that really presented information like Goldfish does, so thanks for digging that up - makes me feel a lot better about trying to get into it again, having all that information presented cleanly.

I assume Slivers are a no-go due to lots and lots of cheap removal? I was thinking about trying to slap together some kind of WUG Slivers monstrosity (to be able to get Mana Leak/Treasure Cruise, maybe... Unsummon?) but there just aren't many good Slivers. In fact, there's really only one (per my evaluation, at least) - Winged Sliver. Maybe drop Plated Sliver, Spinneret Sliver and Wildfield Borderpost from this list for Winged Sliver, Mana Leak and Treasure Cruise?

e: fixed broken url tag, thanks bit.ly

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2014

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Nice, pauper is my favourite format. My username is Wilbax on mtgo, I'm often in the just for fun or tournament practice rooms if anyone wants games.

Along with a few other contributors, I worked on this op for a pauper thread that never got started a few years ago - not sure how useful the information within will be now! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TsMAQkrjmnLRFAZg0jvXhtnMyzfW7j_iOS8zZBWBNN0/edit?usp=sharing

I love the format for the powerful cards, the wide variety of viable decks, and the price. It's cheap enough to netdeck a proven deck and jump in and be competitive. However, the density of powerful cards in the format is so high that brewing and staying competitive is a real possibility, and incredibly rewarding.

I've been playing variations of this deck for the last few months - cruise really kicked it up a notch. It is a U/R deck that sits somewhere between aggro-control and tempo depending on the match up. It is specifically tuned to beat delver and mono u but has great game against most aggro decks (including affinity and infect) and tron. Mono B control is really rough if you don't win fast (this deck hates crypt rats, corrupt and tendrils), and that new UB deck is an absolute beating. G/W hexproof auras can be really bad if they get early lifelink but otherwise you can race them.

The idea is to abuse the best, cheapest spells (U for three cards, R for three goblins or three damage, fireblast) and go really wide, playing more threats then the opponent can reasonably answer.

Deck: rebirth U

//Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 Hearth Charm
3 Dragon Fodder
3 Treasure Cruise
2 Krenko's Command
2 Fireblast
2 Brainstorm
2 Burst Lightning

//Creatures
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Ornithopter
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Forge Devil
2 Sage of Epityr

//Land
3 Great Furnace
2 Seat of the Synod
4 Terramorphic Expanse
6 Mountain
2 Island

//Sideboard
3 Electrickery
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Nivix Cyclops
3 Trinket Mage
1 Sylvok Lifestaff
3 Curse of the Pierced Heart
1 Burst Lightning

Generally, you are the beatdown, playing lots of dudes, buffing your army and using blue to keep your deck stacked and your hand stocked.

Hearth Charm especially is really good here, buffing your team, getting your ninja through or eating a spire golem or robbit. The ninja is your primary source of value, drawing extra cards and letting you replay bushwhacker/forge devil/sage. Forge devil doesn't seem great, but it is a great first turn play on the draw, beating first turn delvers and javalineers, among other things. The only maindeck card I'm not really sure about is burst lightning (previously this was vapor snag, which I think might be better). Any suggestions for this slot?

The sideboard and the land could use work. The trinket mage package comes in when racing is not important, and especially if you think they will side in elecktrickery or other sweepers. Funnily enough, I don't bring trickery in myself anywhere near as much as expected. The nivix cylcops' are untested, but are there for that new UB deck that recurs evincar's justice over and over. The curses and the burst lightning I don't think have ever come in, and could probably be something else.

field balm fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread