Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Problem description: So the HDD on a mac book pro 2012 model died and I replaced it with a new WD 500gig hdd. I held alt/option and then let mac download a temp OS to run. First thing I did was try to format the HDD to Mac OS Extended using Disk Utility. It erases everything and starts to partition the HDD which should only take about an hour max but its been running all day and the time remaining just increases (currnetly at 9 hours).

Attempted fixes: Quit disk utility, restarted comp.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Mac OSX

System specs: Macbook Pro mid 2012

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Lots of people having similar issues but mainly with partitioning to install Windows, not to reinstall OSX.

Any idea what the hell is going on? I'm thinking it could be the temp version of OSX.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkRED
Sep 21, 2003
Beer. Now there's a temporary solution.
It could be the Temporary installer

If you have access to another Mac, you can go to the App Store, download Yosemite and create a USB Install Drive, you will need likely around 8GB drive to fit the installer.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2367748/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

Once the USB Drive is finished you can then boot to the drive.

Create a new Partition and Change MBR to GUID (if it hasn't been done yet), Quit Disk utility (no need to format the partition again).

Install OS X.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The format should take less than a minute. Maybe 10-15 seconds on a new drive. What it sounds like to me is that you have a bad hard drive cable. That happened a TON on the 2009-2012 models (I was replacing 5+ a day for a while) and produced nearly identical results.

Get ye to an AASP and have them take a look. Cables are around $25 USD, plus very minor labor; I wouldn't assume they would be much more expensive in other countries.

Your old drive might even be OK. Sometimes the cable shorting takes the drive out with it, though.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

DkRED posted:

It could be the Temporary installer

If you have access to another Mac, you can go to the App Store, download Yosemite and create a USB Install Drive, you will need likely around 8GB drive to fit the installer.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2367748/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

Once the USB Drive is finished you can then boot to the drive.

Create a new Partition and Change MBR to GUID (if it hasn't been done yet), Quit Disk utility (no need to format the partition again).

Install OS X.
Thanks, I will try this at home tonight.

Sonic Dude posted:

The format should take less than a minute. Maybe 10-15 seconds on a new drive. What it sounds like to me is that you have a bad hard drive cable. That happened a TON on the 2009-2012 models (I was replacing 5+ a day for a while) and produced nearly identical results.

Get ye to an AASP and have them take a look. Cables are around $25 USD, plus very minor labor; I wouldn't assume they would be much more expensive in other countries.

Your old drive might even be OK. Sometimes the cable shorting takes the drive out with it, though.
This is what I am thinking, but before I can return it I need to make sure its really broken as the online seller wont budge on the issue.

• Locked thread