Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
the worlds most advanced watch operating system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightmotor
Jun 1, 2008

i forgot bout these. i think theyre neat but they are basically tailor made for autism. http://www.timetimer.com/autism

then this, if youre as much a massive dweeb as you are dumb and ugly and probably in a fedora

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i want to have a screen on the underside of the iwatch so that i can enjoy the skeumorphism of having a gear assembly displayed there

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

everyone. will be wearing their apple watch 4s air

this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how large will the  watch 6 be???

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

what kind of accuracy do those nomos watches get?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
less than any $8 quartz watch, but that's the case with pretty much every mechanical / automatic watch.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sometimes i like to watch the watch repair cahnnel on utube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7vSOnpUocYq0z8oiYFk0zQ

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98DnVSwd4JA&t=174s

extremely autism pleasing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maniacdevnull posted:

what kind of accuracy do those nomos watches get?

COSC chronometer certification for mechanical watches [what the fancy Swiss brands use] is -4/+6 seconds per day

a random $20 timex or casio will drift around 15 seconds in a month

high end thermocompensated quartz movements are accurate to within 5 seconds a year

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the time from a mechanical watch is just more warmer, richer, and tonal

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

pram posted:

the time from a mechanical watch is just more warmer, richer, and tonal

My favorite reason people try to justify it is "quartz watches give you an exact time, while mechanical watches give you an approximation, which is how time really works, not in discrete units"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
maybne, like, time sodendt even exist

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it doesnt thats why were here at soemthing awful in tyool 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Wild EEPROM posted:

My favorite reason people try to justify it is "quartz watches give you an exact time, while mechanical watches give you an approximation, which is how time really works, not in discrete units"

I like watching the gears and levers work

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

Perfectly valid.

Same.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

sounds like how diamond sellers used to be all about purity until synthetic diamond became a thing and now the impurities are "what gives the diamond its soul"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Malcolm XML posted:

same

but i am currently receiving that enjoyment from a $60 seiko and not a $3000 nomos

and the nomoses (nomii?) aren't certified, so i think the sekio might even be keeping better time, it gains about 5-7 seconds per day

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Lol I could build a watch that's many orders of magnitude better than a thousands of dollars piece of garbage trivially. Five seconds a day? Smdh I can do better with my imagination

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

newreply.php posted:

sounds like how diamond sellers used to be all about purity until synthetic diamond became a thing and now the impurities are "what gives the diamond its soul"
debeers has spent hundreds of millions developing machines to tell synthetic diamonds apart from "real" diamonds to protect their value

i dunno if they ever succeeded in getting legal requirements that all synthetic diamonds everywhere be branded as such passed everywhere

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The real comedy is so many gems are thermally and chemically treated that they might as well be synthetic

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
are you sure the real comedy isnt that thousands of impoverished people suffered greatly to give way richer people halfway around the world the "best" day of their lives?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

Lol I could build a watch that's many orders of magnitude better than a thousands of dollars piece of garbage trivially. Five seconds a day? Smdh I can do better with my imagination

http://www.army.mil/article/88361/Miniaturized_atomic_clock_to_support_Soldiers_in_absence_of_GPS/

well that's rad as heck

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

newreply.php posted:

are you sure the real comedy isnt that thousands of impoverished people suffered greatly to give way richer people halfway around the world the "best" day of their lives?

I am. That's the tragedy. Christ how are you so emotionally stunted as to not see the difference???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

nomos is cool, if I was going to buy a $5000 watch it would probably be a tangomat gmt

nice of them to make sure they had an ad for the company on their $5000 watch.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qirex posted:

nomos is cool, if I was going to buy a $5000 watch it would probably be a tangomat gmt

im the bonded leather strap

I am also the month starting with ny

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

im the bonded leather strap

I am also the month starting with ny

that's a time zone wheel and the window on the right is the second time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so its an anroid watch

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Congrats on your new Apple watch op.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

technology moves forward and one day all our minds will be uploaded to the cloud but if u r an early adopter of wearable computa u are beyond retraded

So............................... Hows the new apple watch treating you Op?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

to apple watch, ur pesisens pulse is the same as the one on ur wrist b/c it can't do blood pressure

useless

piece

of

poo poo

Don't sign your posts Op.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

nice of them to make sure they had an ad for the company on their $5000 watch.

without the branding people would think it's a cheap knockoff

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

same

but i am currently receiving that enjoyment from a $60 seiko and not a $3000 nomos

and the nomoses (nomii?) aren't certified, so i think the sekio might even be keeping better time, it gains about 5-7 seconds per day

7s26's aren't particularly accurate, but they're cheap and they work so whatever.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Bloody posted:

so its an anroid watch

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

poty posted:

phwoar

i dont even know what the green and the white circles are supposed to loving mean

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

poty posted:

i dont even know what the green and the white circles are supposed to loving mean

the thing just up and right of the center is the watch fuel gauge

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm assuming the dial at the bottom is the VOR radio-compass

Bloody posted:

The real comedy is so many gems are thermally and chemically treated that they might as well be synthetic

i think the idea of a man-made gemstone is fascinating from both a technical and environmental standpoint and i sure hope a girl i meet thinks the same

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i think the idea of a man-made gemstone is fascinating from both a technical and environmental standpoint and i sure hope a girl i meet thinks the same

you can have a dead relative's cremains made into a diamond nowadays

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no that's gross. i'm fine with dead dinosaur remains or dead sea creature remains or whatever the base material needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

you misspelled "uche"

• Locked thread