Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Lessail posted:

What type of not happened are we talkin about here

The type where the muff happened after the Pats touched the ball first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
These guys are doing some interesting things in team stats/predictions. While they describe the general ideas behind their methodology (and it sounds, well, sound), it's still closed to the public.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah thats him, the most boring man to listen to in the entire world. Glad he hasn't been on recently.

I guarantee Simmons will have Schatz on the BS Report again the week before the playoffs so that Simmons can fantasize about the Patriots winning another Super Bowl.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

King Hong Kong posted:

I guarantee Simmons will have Schatz on the BS Report again the week before the playoffs so that Simmons can fantasize about the Patriots winning another Super Bowl.

Simmons' theory now is the Patriots threw the game by staying very vanilla so not to tip off other teams they have upcoming. Dude is unhinged.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

African AIDS cum posted:

Simmons' theory now is the Patriots threw the game by staying very vanilla so not to tip off other teams they have upcoming. Dude is unhinged.

And the funniest and saddest thing is that there have been at least one other Patriots writer to use that same theory for the loss.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

TubeStank posted:

And the funniest and saddest thing is that there have been at least one other Patriots writer to use that same theory for the loss.

Link?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/12/in_patriots_loss_to_the_packers_bill_belichick_lul.html

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

loving lol. Incredible.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Bill does it again

Beautiful

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Please don't troll.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Huh?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Losing to the Packers while trying to get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs? Genius. -Boston sports journalism

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

This reads like an Onion article.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
That's MordorBoston for you.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Advanced stats for football are like the study of economics, there are such a vast array of unquantifiable factors that, even if test conditions were ideal and controlled, there would be absolutely no agreement between experts as to what does what, causes what, or is a result of what. It's all a bunch of hocus-pocus guesswork in the guise of math, and offers no better a predictive model than an eyeball test.

Or at least that's what I tell myself because I don't understand any of it, but I barely passed both stats and macroeconomics, so what the gently caress do I know.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

Advanced stats for football are like the study of economics, there are such a vast array of unquantifiable factors that, even if test conditions were ideal and controlled, there would be absolutely no agreement between experts as to what does what, causes what, or is a result of what. It's all a bunch of hocus-pocus guesswork in the guise of math, and offers no better a predictive model than an eyeball test.

Or at least that's what I tell myself because I don't understand any of it, but I barely passed both stats and macroeconomics, so what the gently caress do I know.

You're 100% right

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't know if they're similar or not, because football is real and the economy isn't, but this sounds pretty spot on to me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Plafop posted:

JJ Watt is underpaid.

He signed such a long contract that toward the end of it he'll probably be severely underpaid, same thing happened to Andre Johnson when he signed a super long contract making him the highest paid WR in the league and within a couple years he wasn't even top 5

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That Boston article is absolutely amazing. I didn't know ehuds old co worker had a blog

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Rooster Brooster posted:

These guys are doing some interesting things in team stats/predictions. While they describe the general ideas behind their methodology (and it sounds, well, sound), it's still closed to the public.

Do they explain what they do any better than this? http://massey-peabody.com/methodology/ Because that doesn't even have the barest of explanations of what their metrics actually do.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sounds like some queero poo poo to me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

quote:

The Patriots lost their third game of the season at Lambeau Field, where the Packers are now 6-0 this season, and are averaging 41 points per game.

See I know he means it's the Patriots third loss of the season but the way he writes is really bad and doesn't make it clear that the Patriots haven't lost three times at Lambeau in one year

quote:

How to explain Belichick not going for it on fourth down at a couple opportune moments in the first half, even knowing you risked giving the ball back to a quarterback in Rodgers who was doing donuts around the Patriots’ secondary?

Why else would Belichick decide to have Stephen Gostkowski try for a 47-yard field goal, down by five, instead of going for it on fourth-and-18 with 2:40 remaining, a decision that quickly became the 2014 edition of “4th and two” in the immediate aftermath of the loss?

:psyduck:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pats fans are pathetic.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

I think that article is a joke, guys

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

The_Hat posted:

Based on what?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

The_Hat posted:

it's very very real

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's a matter of probability. What is more likely, a Patriot's writer being self aware enough and a good enough writer to compose a complete piece of satire without ever breaking character or they are simply delusional enough to think any loss is some sort of 5th dimensional chess game by Billy 5 Aces.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Football is like four balls on the edge of a cliff

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

tractor fanatic posted:

Do they explain what they do any better than this? http://massey-peabody.com/methodology/ Because that doesn't even have the barest of explanations of what their metrics actually do.

I don't think there is much more detail on the mechanics, but their stated goal is to predict spread lines for the purpose of winning at betting.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

At least on his podcast he brought this up as a joke theory and said he didn't believe it,

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
My new goal is to start a blog doing some legitimate football analysis (there's got to be some interesting thing to chart that nobody tracks yet, which doubles as an excuse to buy game rewind) and keep it going long enough that Aaron Schatz follows me on twitter, then goatse him

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Blotto Skorzany posted:

(there's got to be some interesting thing to chart that nobody tracks yet, which doubles as an excuse to buy game rewind)

You know how everyone talks about "wearing out the defense" with time of possession and high play counts? You could test to see if that's true, if defenses that give up lots of plays or lots of TOP start giving up more and more average yards per play later in the game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Make up your own stats language and be a step ahead of the R kids.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Came for the thread title, stayed for the ridiculous Pats article.

Never change, Boston.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Hand Row posted:

That's literally what DVOA is

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Hand Row posted:

The ~data science~ crowd has already sort of done this with Julia (python/scipy is also popular with them), but imo Haskell or OCaml would probably work very well. Brushing up on one of them would also probably get me lucrative job offers provided I can hit the mute button on my conscience.

full disclosure: I used R to do analysis and visualizations for a couple of projects in school, it was great compared to Excel. Just having a reasonable syntax and a repl and built in arbitrary precision arithmetic goes really far. I switched to Common Lisp for my actual ECSE department prob/stats course (basically to check my answers on homework assignments, some of the integrals get real hairy to do analytically), it's a better language but doesn't match R's built in visualization libraries.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brannock posted:

You know how everyone talks about "wearing out the defense" with time of possession and high play counts? You could test to see if that's true, if defenses that give up lots of plays or lots of TOP start giving up more and more average yards per play later in the game.

I'm definitely curious about this. I bet that at anecdotal levels of high school and even college games, where lack of conditioning and talent disparity is much greater, that it happens. But in the pros, especially when dlinemen are being rotated? Who knows

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I'm definitely curious about this. I bet that at anecdotal levels of high school and even college games, where lack of conditioning and talent disparity is much greater, that it happens. But in the pros, especially when dlinemen are being rotated? Who knows

You're going to wear out the 300-pound linemen, probably not so much the corners and other "skill" players. I think the real benefit of the perma-no-huddle and the like is running plays quickly enough that your opponent doesn't have much time to make adjustments and in some cases substitutions.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You're going to wear out the 300-pound linemen, probably not so much the corners and other "skill" players. I think the real benefit of the perma-no-huddle and the like is running plays quickly enough that your opponent doesn't have much time to make adjustments and in some cases substitutions.

Those corners are running way up and down the field, and it's way easier on you to run routes as a receiver than having to cover them as a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
DVOA was pretty revolutionary when it came out. It's massively more predictive than anything that was in use at the time, which was basically strait yardage stats, wins, and narrative. I'm sure there are folks doing better work these days but I haven't heard of them. PFF is interesting but it doesn't do a
Non-rhetorical question: what "advanced stat" out there is currently the best at predicting future wins?

• Locked thread