Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thunderbro posted:

It seems like, especially in the last stages of the game, the devs really wanted to go fully through with letting you know that even they loving hated this game. They hated having to make it, they hated it making GBS threads on something they cared about, and they did not try whatsoever and they wanted you to know. Just a trash bin abomination that Microsoft forced on them. It's not like any reviewers or QA people were going to bother making it that far anyways. A perfect ending for a perfect piece of poo poo.

We all assume this based on the result (the game itself), but has anyone actually come out and said so? I Googled around for some kind of nuts and bolts post mortem and I can't find any evidence of anyone claiming this. Not denying its probably true, but would like to read/hear it from the horse's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Scaramouche posted:

We all assume this based on the result (the game itself), but has anyone actually come out and said so?

Probably not until said potential person no longer needs to keep their job under Microsoft.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

We all assume this based on the result (the game itself), but has anyone actually come out and said so? I Googled around for some kind of nuts and bolts post mortem and I can't find any evidence of anyone claiming this. Not denying its probably true, but would like to read/hear it from the horse's mouth.

Grant Kirkhope talks about Nuts and Bolts and many other pretty awesome stories (Mumbo's voice clips in particular) here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t70l-9n1rCQ

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Scaramouche posted:

well one of the questions asked in the quiz is 'What was the name of the quiz in the better-then-this first game'

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Stallion Cabana posted:

well one of the questions asked in the quiz is 'What was the name of the quiz in the better-then-this first game'

One of the other questions was "What is NOT in the middle of Showdown Town?" and one of the options is "Decent Gameplay." :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think this game's development team was divided into two camps, the "gently caress it whatever I'll make your goofy car-racing game, Microsoft. I'm just here for the check anyway." camp, and the "I hate this game I hate Microsoft I hate cars I hate my life I hate everything I will make my hatred known to the world and watch it all burn" camp.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Grant seemed fairly okay with Microsoft saying Rare had their pick of development projects so I'm wonderfing a) how much input he had later on in the game after making the music b) if it started out as a big idea but as team members left or grew disenfranchised the game suffered and it became a sour grind of the lemon that is the new Rare.

It seemed very tongue and cheek and there were quite a few more challenges (from what I remember, but it could be merely in comparison to later on) but once you hit the third or fourth world it becomes a creativity dryout as the same missions from the first game are mostly repeated over and over again. Even Grunty missions are just playing with balls or shooting her with eggs.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

All things considered, I'd rather play Diddy Kong Racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, regardless of absolute worth that was a pretty fitting end level for this game. They wrapped pretty much every challenge and battle and environment into that final boss fight.

• Locked thread