Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

how does a city with only rich ppl living in it work

do they have to bus in all the ppl who do useful work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

Most of the rich techie jobs are actually in South Bay (San Jose, Mountain View, Sunnyvale etc) so all the big companies like Genetech or Google provide a free shuttle service from SF.

Walter Kurtz
Jan 23, 2008

The real question is why doesn't LA have a team? 2nd most populated city. NFL SUX

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

I for one want to live in the tenderloin.

Is that place getting better 'cause last time I was there it was still pretty poo poo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
^ it's still hilariously poo poo, literally poo poo on the ground ever corner http://jennz0r.github.io/wasteland/ but it's still $1800 for a studio

TEAYCHES posted:

the rich people work in south bay. people who clean the bathrooms/floors/take out the trash/serve you alcohol/cut your hair/prepare your food/make your morning coffee get trained in via BART from richmond/pittsburgh/hayward/oakland

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 29, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Walter Kurtz posted:

The real question is why doesn't LA have a team? 2nd most populated city. NFL SUX

They used to have the Rams, until the team did the classic relocation scheme for a new stadium and big tax credit help.

Xaris posted:

^ it's still hilariously poo poo, literally poo poo on the ground ever corner http://jennz0r.github.io/wasteland/ but it's still $1800 for a studio

My favorite gross SF story is how a escalator at Civic Center shutdown due to being clogged with human feces.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 29, 2014

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Suck it, working-class lifetime season ticket holders. POORS GO HOME
Also, sit in traffic for 5 hours on the ONE ROAD to the stadium.

BONUS:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ghlbtsk posted:

Suck it, working-class lifetime season ticket holders. POORS GO HOME
Also, sit in traffic for 5 hours on the ONE ROAD to the stadium.

BONUS:

Also in order to even buy 49ers season tickets you have to buy a special Fan builder license for thousands of dollars.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

etalian posted:

Also in order to even buy 49ers season tickets you have to buy a special Fan builder license for thousands of dollars.

This is standard across the NFL unfortunately.

Raiders fans are trash but A's fans are hilarious. How this is possible is the great mystery of our times.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

I for one want to live in the tenderloin.

Is that place getting better 'cause last time I was there it was still pretty poo poo.

it has lots of new condos and apartments, however still plenty of doo doo on the sidewalks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Walter Kurtz posted:

they might get one next year

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

they might get one next year

obviously have to lure away a existing team since starting a team from scratch is much harder due to the owner voting process.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
One has to be the top and the other the bottom.
Otherwise, what's the point?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
When my wife was in grad school at USF, she lived a couple blocks from the tenderloin up closer to Nob Hill (pine and Hyde street intersection). Technically a nice neighborhood, still saw poo poo going down. I did find $200 on the sidewalk in the tenderloin once...paid for my gas round trip from Eugene to visit her, so that was cool.

To answer the question as to why San Fran gets two teams, it's because they literally think they are the best city in the US, if not the world. I met a friend of my dads there, and she was talking about how the city water was the best city water in the country. It tasted like water. She had never left the city other than two occasions in her life. Had never seen a farm or field...thought Oregon was in another time zone. It's easy to think you are the poo poo if you have not experienced anything else life has to offer. Just like when a couple only has one child and spoils them to the point of the child thinking that the entire universe revolves around them. The Bay Area is so into themselves that they did not even like songs that referred to other cities. The LMFAO song about Miami? Yeah, I was visiting yet again, and it heard an edited version of that song where they say "drink all day, play all night, let's get it poppin ( I'm in the bay bitch)" instead of "I'm in Miami bitch". Of course they deserve multiple of everything, including football and baseball..they deserve it, obviously.

Juando290 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 29, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's also a area that can't seem to understand how people can enjoy living in other parts of the country.

Why would people want to live places which have better medical care, lower cost of living, lower taxes, just as good educational institutions and better mass transit?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

etalian posted:

It's also a area that can't seem to understand how people can enjoy living in other parts of the country.

Why would people want to live places which have better medical care, lower cost of living, lower taxes, just as good educational institutions and better mass transit?

Problem is, the places with lower costs of living make up for it for being loving boring. Good educational systems and low taxes also usually don't go hand-in-hand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Problem is, the places with lower costs of living make up for it for being loving boring. Good educational systems and low taxes also usually don't go hand-in-hand.

Somehow CA has high taxes and broken poorly funded education system due things like prop 13. Plus one of the worst S&P credit ratings for state level debt.

In all fairness though it's not like people have dreams about moving out to the Midwest/rust belt to make it big or just find a job.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

etalian posted:

Somehow CA has high taxes and broken poorly funded education system due things like prop 13. Plus one of the worst S&P credit ratings for state level debt.

In all fairness though it's not like people have dreams about moving out to the Midwest/rust belt to make it big or just find a job.

I gotta say California has recovered a gently caress ton since the collapse. We're now in a multi-billion dollar surplus.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Dead Precedents posted:

I gotta say California has recovered a gently caress ton since the collapse. We're now in a multi-billion dollar surplus.

B-but random right-wing media hack says that CA is on the verge of becoming the next Detroit and that I should move my business to Texas. You can't just lie like that on the radio!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The LA 49ers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
San Francisco used to be really awesome. It isn't any more. The fact that is still seems awesome to people goes to show just how awesome it used to be. It sucks now in comparison.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

B-but random right-wing media hack says that CA is on the verge of becoming the next Detroit and that I should move my business to Texas. You can't just lie like that on the radio!

Hey, on the bright side, it's still godless.

Waltzing Along posted:

San Francisco used to be really awesome. It isn't any more. The fact that is still seems awesome to people goes to show just how awesome it used to be. It sucks now in comparison.

I, too, liked it before it was cool.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SF is basically a place that desperately tries to sell itself as a world class city when it isn't.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

etalian posted:

The LA 49ers.
i'd totally be down with this tbh

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Infidel Castro posted:

Technically they have zero football teams.

Ahh, the LA Angels model

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

etalian posted:

They used to have the Rams, until the team did the classic relocation scheme for a new stadium and big tax credit help.
LA used to have the raiders too (but was just borrowing them)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whoflungpoop posted:

LA used to have the raiders too (but was just borrowing them)

They moved back to Oakland after getting a favorable stadium upgrade and also rent deal.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

yeah, it was a sad day when they went back to oakland

having a raiders parka and a sawed-off used to mean something dammit

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

also i once ate something in oakland chinatown that i'm pretty sure wasn't chicken

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
the real question is here why loving jacksonville got an nfl team given they havent done poo poo in 20 years and florida already had two football teams.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

florida already had two football teams.
Even Tampa doesn't count Tampa Bay

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Raider Nation is the latino Dawg Pound

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Juando290 posted:

To answer the question as to why San Fran gets two teams, it's because they literally think they are the best city in the US, if not the world. ...The Bay Area is so into themselves that they did not even like songs that referred to other cities. The LMFAO song about Miami? Yeah, I was visiting yet again, and it heard an edited version of that song where they say "drink all day, play all night, let's get it poppin ( I'm in the bay bitch)" instead of "I'm in Miami bitch". Of course they deserve multiple of everything, including football and baseball..they deserve it, obviously.
so in other words, they're like Boston Massholes. that explains how their sports fans conduct themselves in the exact same way

Waltzing Along posted:

realtalk: it's sad that techno-libertarians have ruined San Francisco almost completely beyond repair. it's a city that's been through a lot of poo poo (earthquakes, fires, the AIDS crisis, among other things), but even when the tech bubble bursts, it won't be the same

as it is, i get the same visceral reaction when i read the words "San Francisco" as your average right-wing culture warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whoflungpoop posted:

also i once ate something in oakland chinatown that i'm pretty sure wasn't chicken

it was actually lost tourists

• Locked thread