Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sound
Oct 18, 2004

His movies get better after the first viewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
I enjoyed Jason Bateman's mustache in Darjeeling Limited. That is all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I've only liked Ben Stiller in one film. Wes Anderson can even make poo poo shine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
better than most, not as good as sam mendes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why, what does he wear?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

He's got the cancer

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I think I've only liked Ben Stiller in one film. Wes Anderson can even make poo poo shine.

zoolander???

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i heard tropic thunder was good but i didnt hear it was good enough for me to watch a ben stiller film

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ben Stiller is barely in that movie. It's more about RDJ's character and fat Tom Cruise. Tropic Thunder is an alright movie.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
"What are you wearing?"

"These are O.R. scrubs."

"Oh, are they?"

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Doghouse posted:

"What are you wearing?"

"These are O.R. scrubs."

"Oh, are they?"

Bill Murray has precisely the right reaction

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think he's a racist rich little poo poo who's done the same movie over and over, except one time he added pedophilia.

That said I'm kinda ambivalent.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He does neuter his actors though in the name of style but shut at this point Who wouldn't take that paycheck.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Bill Murray’s roguish hamminess is so endearing it'll never get old. I love it when he hits that note over and over

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
please don't.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

mookface posted:

I thought moonrise kingdom and the grand Budapest hotel were some of his best efforts yet. The life aquatic is probably my favorite.

I think he's really good

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Potentially relevent.

Best part:

quote:

Anderson had tried to stay positive but recalled that [Bill] Murray had actually come to set, even when the actor was not involved in filming, just to protect the director. “You were not scared of Gene,” Anderson said to Murray. “I noticed early on so I started asking you to come be there. I remember, there was a scene where Gene goes for a walk in the park and I looked up on the top of this rock and you were standing with a cowboy hat watching the set. And you were just there to show solidarity and I was very touched by that.”

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't like the weird CGI action scenes that Wes Anderson does sometimes. It's like he tries to make things look like miniatures but not really. Moonrise Kingdom had some of that and Budapest Hotel was even worse with its sled scene.

Hamish Campbell
Jan 2, 2006

At least we didn't get dressed up for nothin'
I like acoustic versions of classic rock songs sung in portuguese by black guys in speedos on boats. That's not just art; it's magic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wa27 posted:

I don't like the weird CGI action scenes that Wes Anderson does sometimes. It's like he tries to make things look like miniatures but not really. Moonrise Kingdom had some of that and Budapest Hotel was even worse with its sled scene.

It felt like an exact redo of the sled scene from Polanski's The Famous Vampire Killers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A good Ben Stiller movie: Flirting with Disaster.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
he's kind of like a hip hop twitter

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Wes Anderson is a real treasure and the films he makes are precious jewels.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I've seen every Wes Anderson film except for Rushmore (will see soon) and Bottle Rocket (eh)

I tend to prefer the really stylized, artificial ones, Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom are my favorites and Fantastic Mr. Fox is awesome too

still love Royal Tenenbaums though

for some reason I never get that excited for his stuff though. it's like "oh another Wes Anderson film" and then I see it and I love it and I forget about him for another 18 months

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gene Hackman is an rear end in a top hat?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Gene Hackman is an rear end in a top hat?

No he just has opinions and ideas and Wes is too autistic to interpret them as anything but hostile.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Event Horizon is the only remotely good movie he's ever done.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
I don't really like his movies. Aesthetically pleasing but in a style that gets tiresome. His fascination with people from the bumfuck northeast is baffling since they just aren't very interesting, but I guess that's all he knows so whatever. His scenes take too long for nothing. Characters staring silently and blankly at each other doesn't teach me anything about them and it doesn't advance the plot. One could argue that in any piece of art, what is missing is just as important as what's there, but you need that second bit for it to work.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

As much as I love his movies, I think I love his one Herringbone jacket better:

The jacket can stay, the old lesbian hair must go

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Looks like tilda swinton after the sex change

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

generative grammer posted:

The jacket can stay, the old lesbian hair must go

He's really pushing me towards getting a nice Herringbone sports jacket.

I mean I have one now, but the sleeves are too short and the lapels are too wide (Thrift Store).

The buttons are pretty cool, I may save them (leather Turkish Knots).

I wonder if his closet is full of labels :allears:

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Wes Anderson films are great, for me, since most of them are pretty funny but also manage to have a fairly deep plot and good characters. The humor is always very dry, and really you have a pretty good film without even going into the humor.

Life Aquatic and Royal Tenenbaums are two of my favorite films of all time. I bought Ned's stoplight skullcap and I wear it pretty much every day during the winter.

The first time I watched a Wes Anderson movie was while I was having a bunch of dental work done in my early teens. Dentist gave me video headset and had never seen a Royal Tenenbaums before so I picked it, watched the whole thing and the dentist pulled the headset off literally the second the credits rolled. The only thing that could have made that better would have been to watch the movie high on NOS.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope you took a drag from your cigarette the second the headset came off

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Darjeeling limited is my fav mainly bc of the scene where it all goes to hell and the scene at the autoshop.

spotix55
Jun 6, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

In terms of use of color......Vertigo is brilliant with it as well.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is 40% Alfred Hitchcock shots and the shots of carol reed
See Night Train to Munich and The Third man and All of hitch cocks early films and then re watch the grand Budapest hotel and you can clearly see he likes to mock him self.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Biomute posted:

Event Horizon is the only remotely good movie he's ever done.

Are you kidding me? He was great in Unforgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i like his movies and style of comedy, as well as the very distinct pacing and stylized visual composition

i have life aquatic and royal tenenbaums on blu ray (criterion collection). they are fine movies and both feature bill murray in them

• Locked thread