Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
xmas stickers for the gf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Went and experimented with a few things.

When asked what it was by a friend, I described it as a nerve of energy wearing the world its in a coat, to protect its function as a gateway.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 17, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Beep beep!

e:

Scribblehatch posted:

When asked what it was by a friend, I described it as a nerve of energy wearing the world its in a coat, to protect its function as a gateway.

It's obviously the plug that keeps the lava in. :colbert:

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

I love playing with markers.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This was a fun commission :)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

meaty

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've been watching a lot of horror movies lately, so I've been doodling while watching them.

digitalpainting2 by francography, on Flickr

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

gently caress, that's awesome! Was it in photoshop?

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.

Getting back into digital painting after a long hiatus.
Textures: Cat fur and cloth?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

petrol blue posted:

gently caress, that's awesome! Was it in photoshop?

Thanks, yeah just photoshop. I'm using the kyle brush set https://creativemarket.com/kyletwebster/16903-Megapack-100-Real-Art-PS-Brushes

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Christmas! Finally had a day off (well, Christmas Eve...) to just do something fun.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

These are the two things I'm whittling away at right now when I get a chance to draw for myself
A himeriai (naiad of the hot springs outside a town in Sicily) and a scene from the early Eocene Pacific northwest

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I did make this drawing of the kids making hallacas to give as a Christmas present though

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Another Humans of New York picture.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 26, 2014

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Been on a Megaman Binge recently.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
WIP in oil

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sketchbook Pro and a Samsung Note tablet... took quite a while but boy he's pretty. And boy am I a geek.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:magical: drat dude, that's excellent.

Thanks!

Man I'm loving those stickers up there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scathach fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:magical: drat dude, that's excellent.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

trying to de-stress from the holidays

E:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 27, 2014

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For today, I managed to pump out 8 pages of feet studies.

TheGreekOwl fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 27, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Scathach posted:

Sketchbook Pro and a Samsung Note tablet...

I really recommend you check out Cloverpaint on the tablet, I find Sketchbook pretty much unusable UI-wise since I switched - pen button to sample colour, undo/redo bound to vol +/- (held for a quick opacity/brush size), pinch/twist for zoom/rotate. It's pricey, and takes a bit of setting up, but it's incredible.

Not quite a sketch, but might as well post it:

WiP, I'm making a rat skull to get sewn to a hat.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

:stare: This is wonderfully unnerving as it is.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Y'know, I'm starting to suspect that doodling 'fanart' while listening to audiobooks means I miss some of the subtlety of the story:

Jane Eyre

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

aaand done :)

"Diodorus Siculus posted:

"While [Herakles] passing along the coast of the island [of Sicily from Pelorias to Eryx], the Nymphai [Naiades] caused warm baths to gush forth so that he might refresh himself after the toil sustained in his journeying. There are two of these, called respectively Himeraia and Egestaiai, each of them having its name from the place where the baths are."

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
So I finally have worked up the nerve to attempt digital art with my wacom that has been collecting dust for years.

Original Picture: http://imgur.com/aSO3267

Alright here is the part I am at least use to!

Now lets give GIMP a try, wait what is a mask/layer?

Looking into that cross-eyed :downs: face made me say gently caress it and start from scratch. On to round 2!

Alright, that looks a bit better (after spending hours on it I hope it is), though I can't seem to get the eyes to look natural. Will probably take a break and do some eye studies to see if I can work it out. If nothing else I can see digital art being drat addictive!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only thing I can find fault in is that dude's head needs to be much larger.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

progress

e

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 29, 2014

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

warmups based on Venus figurines

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm back to do what I do best: draw attractive women as snaggle-toothed ghouls.

Plus some galahs I guess.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Avshalom posted:

I'm back to do what I do best: draw attractive women as snaggle-toothed ghouls.

Plus some galahs I guess.

I'm looking at your stuff from April, and you're getting much better!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Saturniid19 posted:

I'm looking at your stuff from April, and you're getting much better!
Thank you! :unsmith: I get sad because it feels like I'm not improving, but then I look back at my old stuff and wow that's some poo poo. So as long as I slowly get better, I'm happy.

Today's face is far too long. 3/4 view has always baffled and distressed me, so I'll work on that now.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Avshalom posted:

Today's face is far too long. 3/4 view has always baffled and distressed me, so I'll work on that now.
I thought the face was too long too, jumped into PS to try to move stuff around, and found that it was rather the size of the nose, as well as the angle of the nose and mouth vs the angle of the eyes. The skull was a bit too small too, but it wasn't the biggest sinner.

Used this photo as a ref, made it clear what needed to be changed:
http://i.imgur.com/dqIjPJF.jpg

By the way, I can't recommend using refs enough. Before I've been all "Nah, refs are cheating!" or something like that, and only ever used them in isolation for practicing, then doing the actual drawings without refs. But now when I've experienced how little it takes to learn so much from refs, I'm starting to love it. Feels like superpowers.

E: And if you ARE using refs, use them harder! No rules, only tools.

noggut fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 31, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Actually I'm still just copying photos at this point. :( I don't like to admit it because it's frowned-upon by just about everyone, but it's the only way I've found that I can get a decent detailed grasp of the way the face fits together. I don't have the sketching skills to draw from life, human faces change too quickly! (Whereas when I do bodies, life drawing is the only thing that helps - photo studies just don't work there for some reason.) It seems like I "learn" by messing up so many times that I run out of ways to mess up.

The cranium was originally far, far too narrow; if you look at the back of the skull, you can see where the original line was and where I added to it. (I've started using ballpoints so I don't get caught up and waste my time on endless rendering and erasing.) Usually I have issues with making the eyes too big, so I made a concentrated effort to avoid that. But I didn't even notice the size of the nose. I'll be focusing on that for the next one.

Thank you for the feedback! :unsmith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
People frown on drawing from pictures? That's weird.

And I think the problem is that the face is in 3/4, but the nose looks like it's drawn in profile. I feel like more of the far side of the face and maybe another nostril should be visible.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Avshalom posted:

It seems like I "learn" by messing up so many times that I run out of ways to mess up.
If you're learning through failing, your strategy should involve failing as fast as you can! One way to do this when drawing heads, that I've done, is to line up a headshot in a PS document, and have room on the side to draw there in the same size. Then I divide the drawing process into stuff like: mark off top and bottom of head, fill in basic volumes of head, place landsmarks for nose and mouth, place eyes and so on. And for each step I draw, I pull my linedrawing over on top of the head I'm drawing to check (yes, pure cheating!). If your last step was correct, good job, go to the next step. If your last step was incorrect, make a mental note of what you did wrong. Then pull your line drawing away, erase the incorrect part, redraw it, and check again. My theory is the more tries it takes to make a mistake right (for instance, you placed the mouth too low 5 times even though you know you needed to draw it higher up), the bigger your misconception about that specific part is. Learning of these misconceptions is super valuable when you're trying to improve. In the end, you'll have a super crude line-drawing with accurate perspective and proportions. I never go into detail or polish them. I save these out of habit, but I never show them to anyone since they are practicaly tracings. What I take with me are the mistakes I did again and again, and I try to keep them in mind the next time I draw. I've learned massive stuff about my own drawing process by doing this, works great for learning through failing.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Any suggestions for next month's theme (sorry for asking so late)?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Humboldt Squid posted:

Any suggestions for next month's theme (sorry for asking so late)?
Amphibians!

I brought in the new year with a mutant. I've always had a problem with drawing skulls too small, so I tend to overcompensate with swollen monster craniums. You can even see the line where the back of the skull was going to go. Good thing the thread is refreshing very soon so this will be lost to the archives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

New thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691714

• Locked thread