Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

How is a laborer supposed to relocate where there are fair wages and actual laws with no money to relocate?

They can just sell off some of their stock to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xt8WIPIwp4

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Putin may have date raped Obama but I guess that means the Russian economy caught AIDS.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Holy poo poo! :chanpop:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The attack doesn't even make sense. He's saying Obama was the one "romancing" Putin, so if he was trying to sex him up, how would it be date rape?

Conservatives can't even make coherent insults.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

The insult doesn't even make sense. He's saying Obama was the one "romancing" Putin, so if he was trying to sex him up, how would it be date rape?

He sent out the wrong kind of signals, then he got cold feet. :pervert:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

I had no idea that the flag lapel pin fashion dated back that far.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh, I'd be interested in where Rerum Novarum talks about that, because as far as I can see its much more general in its protection of workers rights. Well, its specific, but the things its specific in (maximum working hours, child labor, safety/environmental protections for dangerous jobs) are common/required practice today. It doesn't mention anything about tax policy as much as I can tell.
Paragraph 22:

quote:

Therefore, those whom fortune favors are warned that riches do not bring freedom from sorrow and are of no avail for eternal happiness, but rather are obstacles; that the rich should tremble at the threatenings of Jesus Christ - threatenings so unwonted in the mouth of our Lord- and that a most strict account must be given to the Supreme Judge for all we possess. The chief and most excellent rule for the right use of money is one the heathen philosophers hinted at, but which the Church has traced out clearly, and has not only made known to men's minds, but has impressed upon their lives. It rests on the principle that it is one thing to have a right to the possession of money and another to have a right to use money as one wills. Private ownership, as we have seen, is the natural right of man, and to exercise that right, especially as members of society, is not only lawful, but absolutely necessary. "It is lawful," says St. Thomas Aquinas, "for a man to hold private property; and it is also necessary for the carrying on of human existence."" But if the question be asked: How must one's possessions be used? - the Church replies without hesitation in the words of the same holy Doctor: "Man should not consider his material possessions as his own, but as common to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need. Whence the Apostle with, ‘Command the rich of this world... to offer with no stint, to apportion largely.’"True, no one is commanded to distribute to others that which is required for his own needs and those of his household; nor even to give away what is reasonably required to keep up becomingly his condition in life, "for no one ought to live other than becomingly."But, when what necessity demands has been supplied, and one's standing fairly taken thought for, it becomes a duty to give to the indigent out of what remains over.
This can sound like trickle-down economics, except for the part where it's a duty rather than optional, and except for the part where the Pope clarifies that his argument pertains to "all of society" rather than individuals and that this duty should be enforced by the government, including through taxation (paragraph 32):

quote:

The foremost duty, therefore, of the rulers of the State should be to make sure that the laws and institutions, the general character and administration of the commonwealth, shall be such as of themselves to realize public well-being and private prosperity. This is the proper scope of wise statesmanship and is the work of the rulers. Now a State chiefly prospers and thrives through moral rule, well-regulated family life, respect for religion and justice, the moderation and fair imposing of public taxes, the progress of the arts and of trade, the abundant yield of the land-through everything, in fact, which makes the citizens better and happier. Hereby, then, it lies in the power of a ruler to benefit every class in the State, and amongst the rest to promote to the utmost the interests of the poor...
http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_15051891_rerum-novarum.html

Of course, it's more about fair wages and workingmens' societies and so forth, because it's from 1891. But Mater et Magistra expands on this, and here, John XXIII even says that wages shouldn't be set by the market but by "the dictates of justice." He also advocates for progressive taxation (paragraph 132):

quote:

In a system of taxation based on justice and equity it is fundamental that the burdens be proportioned to the capacity of the people contributing.
http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-xxiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_j-xxiii_enc_15051961_mater.html

And then there's Quadrigesimo Anno, where Pius XI says that free competition is basically toxic and it needs to be brought under the authority of the public.

quote:

Just as the unity of human society cannot be founded on an opposition of classes, so also the right ordering of economic life cannot be left to a free competition of forces. For from this source, as from a poisoned spring, have originated and spread all the errors of individualist economic teaching. Destroying through forgetfulness or ignorance the social and moral character of economic life, it held that economic life must be considered and treated as altogether free from and independent of public authority, because in the market, i.e., in the free struggle of competitors, it would have a principle of self direction which governs it much more perfectly than would the intervention of any created intellect. But free competition, while justified and certainly useful provided it is kept within certain limits, clearly cannot direct economic life - a truth which the outcome of the application in practice of the tenets of this evil individualistic spirit has more than sufficiently demonstrated. Therefore, it is most necessary that economic life be again subjected to and governed by a true and effective directing principle. This function is one that the economic dictatorship which has recently displaced free competition can still less perform, since it is a headstrong power and a violent energy that, to benefit people, needs to be strongly curbed and wisely ruled. But it cannot curb and rule itself. Loftier and nobler principles - social justice and social charity - must, therefore, be sought whereby this dictatorship may be governed firmly and fully. Hence, the institutions themselves of peoples and, particularly those of all social life, ought to be penetrated with this justice, and it is most necessary that it be truly effective, that is, establish a juridical and social order which will, as it were, give form and shape to all economic life. Social charity, moreover, ought to be as the soul of this order, an order which public authority ought to be ever ready effectively to protect and defend.
http://w2.vatican.va/content/pius-xi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_19310515_quadragesimo-anno.html

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 2, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SedanChair posted:

He sent out the wrong kind of signals, then he got cold feet. :pervert:

Damnit. I thought the Cold War was over...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Catholic church has increased revemue when minimum wages are raised; news at 11.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/mario-cuomo-new-york-governor-dead-82-article-1.2063258

Mario Cuomo, former New York governor, dead at 82

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

No loving way. I love you, you crazy bastard.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
His City on a Hill speech should be seen by everyone.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Speaking of which I came across Ann Richards' 1988 convention speech last night, and cracked up a minute in after "After eight years of George Bush, I thought you'd like to hear what a real Texas accent sounds like."

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Pohl posted:

No loving way. I love you, you crazy bastard.

Such a shame his son is such a little poo poo in comparison.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Blindeye posted:

Don't forget his other son being a dipshit "journalist" at CNN.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdIqKsv624

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blindeye posted:

I wonder if Chelsea is going to try to get in to politics via her parents' legacy as well and turn out to be a shithead like Cuomo and Romney did after getting where they are largely because of their fathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691855

• Locked thread