Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month
2011:
January: John Keats, Endymion
Febuary/March: Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
April: Laurell K. Hamilton, Obsidian Butterfly
May: Richard A. Knaak - Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood
June: Pamela Britton - On The Move
July: Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep
August: Louis L'Amour - Bendigo Shafter
September: Ian Fleming - Moonraker
October: Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
November: John Ringo - Ghost
December: James Branch Cabell - Jurgen

2012:
January: G.K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
Febuary: M. Somerset Maugham - Of Human Bondage
March: Joseph Heller - Catch-22
April: Zack Parsons - Liminal States
May: Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood
June: James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
July: William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
August: William Faulkner - The Sound & The Fury
September/October: Leo Tolstoy - War & Peace
November: David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas
December: Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

January: Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz
Febuary: Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
March: Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains Of The Day
April: Don Delillo - White Noise
May: Anton LeVey - The Satanic Bible
June/July: Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
August: Michael Swanwick - Stations of the Tide
September: John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids
October: Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
November: Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
December: Roderick Thorp - Nothing Lasts Forever

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel

Current:

quote:

'Twas the night (okay, more like the week) before Christmas, and all through the tiny community of Pine Cove, California, people are busy buying, wrapping, packing, and generally getting into the holiday spirit.

But not everybody is feeling the joy. Little Joshua Barker is in desperate need of a holiday miracle. No, he's not on his deathbed; no, his dog hasn't run away from home. But Josh is sure that he saw Santa take a shovel to the head, and now the seven-year-old has only one prayer: Please, Santa, come back from the dead.

But hold on! There's an angel waiting in the wings. (Wings, get it?) It's none other than the Archangel Raziel come to Earth seeking a small child with a wish that needs granting. Unfortunately, our angel's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch, and before you can say "Kris Kringle," he's botched his sacred mission and sent the residents of Pine Cove headlong into Christmas chaos, culminating in the most hilarious and horrifying holiday party the town has ever seen.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Stupidest-Angel-Heartwarming-Christmas/dp/0060842350

About the Author

quote:

Christopher Moore (born January 1, 1957)[1] is an American writer of comic fantasy. He was born in Toledo, Ohio.[1][2] He grew up in Mansfield, Ohio, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California.

An only child, Moore learned to amuse himself with his imagination. He loved reading as a child, and his father brought him plenty of books back from the library every week. He started writing around the age of twelve, and realised that this was his talent by the time he was 16, and he began to consider making it his career.[3]

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circumstances. With the possible exceptions of Fool, and Sacré Bleu, all his books take place in the same universe and characters appear interchangeably from novel to novel.

According to his interview in the June 2007 issue of Writer's Digest, the film rights to Moore's first novel, Practical Demonkeeping (1992), were purchased by Disney even before the book had a publisher. In answer to repeated questions from fans over the years, Moore stated that all of his books have been optioned or sold for films, but that as yet "none of them are in any danger of being made into a movie."[4] IMDB lists a film version of The Stupidest Angel was allegedly planned for an October 2013 release,[5] although the author denies this claim.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Moore_%28author%29

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

If anyone thinks of anything intelligent (or otherwise) to say, please share it! This month we're just trying something fun and seasonal.

Pacing

No pacing or spoiler rules this month.

Further Resources:

Moore has written lots of other stuff of varying merit.

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisQuicken Deluxe
Oct 22, 2013

I'm excited to start reading this. I've heard good things about Christopher Moore, I've been meaning to read Lamb forever and this seems like just as good of a start as anything (and in season). I'm currently next in line on for the e-book from my library so hopefully I'll be able to begin soon!

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Lamb is amazing, Fool is great, The Serpent of Venice is great, A Dirty Job is good, everything else I haven't read. Moore's good at taking established stories and recreating them.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I couldn't find this book in my library (or in any physical bookstore for that matter), which is too bad because it sounds cool.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This one is my traditional Christmas read. Every year the jokes get less funny and the story gets shorter, but I love it anyway. It was my first Moore book, which was probably a bad decision since it's made up of characters and stories that you're clearly supposed to already know from his other books, but that doesn't make it inaccessible in any way. In fact, it turned me on to reading the rest of his books, and established a bit of familiarity when I dove into each of them.

BisQuicken Deluxe
Oct 22, 2013

So I finally got around to reading this (after having to wait most of the month for the e-book) and I thought it was a lot of fun, pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. There were a lot of laugh out loud parts and I also really liked how he wrote the dog's internal monologue. I started to lose some interest after the zombie attack part began and I felt like that whole section of the book sort of dragged, but that's really my only complaint. Also I had no idea this was part of a series and I don't think I would've realized it myself if I didn't see it mentioned in this thread. Overall I definitely enjoyed the book though and I'm planning on reading Lamb soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh shi

Time for January book recommendations

Any suggestions?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh shi

Time for January book recommendations

Any suggestions?

Something from Italo Calvino, like Invisible Cities. There hasn't been an Italian TBB BoTM author since Eco in 2007 and he's very good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Why Invisible Cities instead of If On a Winter's Night a Traveller? That's the only one of his I'd heard of before.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
I suggest hopscotch, written by julio cortázar.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Why Invisible Cities instead of If On a Winter's Night a Traveller? That's the only one of his I'd heard of before.

If On a Winter's Night a Traveller would certainly be a good choice as well. I only read Invisible Cities, The Nonexistant Knight and The Baron in the Trees which were all excellent.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Suggestions: P.G. Wodehouse, Robertson Davies, or some essays by George Orwell, because I'd love to see a good discussion of his non-fiction.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Owen Jones, Chavs is my suggestion.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Invisible Cities is the better book. IF on a winter's night a traveller is very good and interesting, but Invisible Cities is really beautiful, and just about one of the most aesthetically pleasing books I've ever read. There's quite a few interesting discussion points as well about signs, language, and definitions of things.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I'm happy to cast my lot for invisible cities, if only because I have found a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, it'll be Invisible Cities. I'll get a thread up.

• Locked thread