Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump collector
May 28, 2007
i saw a craigslist post a few months ago, this dude had a rusted out lovely looking weight set and wanted 1k for it. i offered him 75 and he got really angry!!! I clicked on other postings and he wanted to sell a lovely old acura for $5000 and didn't even list the mileage. welp that's my story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm pretty sure that idiot buyers and dipshit sellers are a bipartisan irritation, Ayn.

Oh, really? Are you sure you can't just accept that the free market knows what the right price is better than you?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

exethan posted:

i saw a craigslist post a few months ago, this dude had a rusted out lovely looking weight set and wanted 1k for it. i offered him 75 and he got really angry!!! I clicked on other postings and he wanted to sell a lovely old acura for $5000 and didn't even list the mileage. welp that's my story

Some people on Craigslist are loving clueless. Listing an out of date lamp thats not old enough to appeal to the vintage crowd for 250 dollars and the ad is up there for six months thinking someone somewhere will buy it

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

exethan posted:

Weights fall into two categories. So cheap you wonder how no one else bought them before you or so expensive you could just about buy them brand new.

Who would have thought that the majority of people who wanna "bulk up" up clueless idiots?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ikanreed posted:

Oh, really? Are you sure you can't just accept that the free market knows what the right price is better than you?

irrational exuberance muh nigga

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Nutsngum posted:

Weights fall into two categories. So cheap you wonder how no one else bought them before you or so expensive you could just about buy them brand new.

Who would have thought that the majority of people who wanna "bulk up" up clueless idiots?

lazy just lazy fat and gay

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Sellin my n64 at a garage sale
Black dude lowballs me
I refuse
He walks away looking sad
Hours pass
Day is coming to a close
White dude offers me the black dudes price
I accept
Spend the next 15 years wondering if I'm racist

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

unlimited shrimp posted:

Black dude lowballs me
I refuse
Hours pass
Day is coming to a close
I accept

what's a sad black dude want with an n64 anyway? black people don't play zelda

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
op if anyone is clueless about haggling in your stories it's u lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Does anyone watch that "Downeast Dickering" show?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

mookface posted:

Some people on Craigslist are loving clueless. Listing an out of date lamp thats not old enough to appeal to the vintage crowd for 250 dollars and the ad is up there for six months thinking someone somewhere will buy it

I gotta wonder if they're actually clueless or just waiting for someone truly clueless to mistake that for a deal.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
i understand why they might do so. selling anything low/no-cost attracts mad numbers of idiots. it's way better to price high and potentially not sell it than to deal with the grief

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I only ever sold one thing on craigslist and that was a bicycle I had. It was worth about 700 bucks, so I asked for 800 firm. Guy drove a long way to come see it and he liked the bike, he knew what it was worth too so he offered me 700 bucks and then I had 700 dollars and he had a pretty nice bicycle.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I only ever sold one thing on craigslist and that was a bicycle I had. It was worth about 700 bucks, so I asked for 800 firm. Guy drove a long way to come see it and he liked the bike, he knew what it was worth too so he offered me 700 bucks and then I had 700 dollars and he had a pretty nice bicycle.

thats a good story

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

thats a good story

Thank you Top City Homo.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
Best/weirdest response I have had after a back and forth with a guy who wanted to buy a watch I was selling.

"When we meet:
1] we shake hands
2] we sit next to each other
3] u move ur watch-wearing arm towards me
4] i remove it myself from ur arm but keep hold of ur hand for a moment
5] i pass u the money with my free hand
6] i give u a big hug
7] i give u a few quick kisses on ur cheeks as a thank you
8] we chat a bit
9] i give u one more hug and a quick kiss farewell.

Is this agree-able?"

Real or not, his emails made me laugh. It seemed obvious that he was a troll, but something about his emails made me feel like he was serious, but with real mental and social issues.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

unlimited shrimp posted:

Black dude lowballs me
I refuse
Hours pass
Day is coming to a close
I accept

stupid bitch

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

you are so scared of black people that you carry a gun everywhere you go

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I once gave away a TV on Craigslist, it wasn't even so much a give-away as it was an announcement about a free TV out on the porch, first to haul it away gets it. The TV was gone within 30 minutes. Fifteen minutes after that I got an email from someone asking if I'd hold the TV for them. They got really pissy when I wrote back and said sorry, someone already came and took it. Craigslist

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
I'll sell vehicles and such on craigslist now and then, and I can't imagine the thought processes behind some of the offers I've gotten. I had a classic Lincoln in excellent shape. Non running as it needed fuel injection work. $1500 or best. Got nonstop emails offering like $200, and that only if I made it run and drive, so they could drive it over the scale at the scrapyard because they had no truck or trailer. Ended up trading it to a guy who restored it.

I have a car on there now, for $600. Parts car. Runs, drives, but badly rusted and horribly unsafe. Worth the price as it's a rare car with valuable parts. Flooded with emails from guys insisting it's the ideal first car for their 16 year old daughter, guys who tell me I know nothing about my own car and that they're going to use it for a daily driver, and one guy who keeps sending vaguely threatening all-caps emails from multiple addresses offering "$150 I AM A CASH BUYER!!!"

Also, regardless of what I'm selling, I get at least 5 offers of a 27" TV. It's always just a CRT TV, never flat screen, may or may not include a built in VCR, but it's always 27".

Same with gas powered RC cars. I get tons of those offered. A guy tried to trade one for my dirt bike. I declined. He then came back with an offer of 2 gas powered RC cars and got upset that I didn't want them. Lots of ads have an "open to trades, no gas powered RC cars" stipulation here.

I do live right in the middle of meth country, so there's that I guess.

That Robox fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 7, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

That Robox posted:

Same with gas powered RC cars. I get tons of those offered. A guy tried to trade one for my dirt bike. I declined. He then came back with an offer of 2 gas powered RC cars and got upset that I didn't want them. Lots of ads have an "open to trades, no gas powered RC cars" stipulation here.

I do live right in the middle of meth country, so there's that I guess.

lol I don't see those disclaimers here, either RC gas cars are super popular over there, or that one guy just won't loving stop offering gas powered RC cars to everyone

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

that reminds me about the time I sold a video card to an autistic man-child

I had just upgraded so I didn't need the outdated pos and threw it up on kijiji for $50, got a reply almost immediately,

very detailed email asking if it was working well and he needed it but couldn't afford a brand new one and WAS THE STICKER ON THE BACK STILL INTACT etc etc.

so I meet this guy outside a 7-eleven, and he's wearing sweat pants, hoodie and quite the ratty neckbeard. I show him the card wrapped anti static plastic and he hands the money.

'OK see ya thanks for the easy transaction, let me know if it works !' ... as I turn to get into my car

Over the course of a few days I get bombarded with emails from this guy, asking me about drivers, and every minute little detail about how to setup and configure the drat card.

Eventually I get frustrated and just refund him half the price so he will shut up and leave me alone,

thanks for reading my story about how I gave into peer pressure from a autist

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

no dude is just an idiot and holds the value of his item to a lofty value.

see it all the time where the seller asks a 'firm' price, you ask them to knock $50 off it and they throw a fit, then the listing disappears only to reappear a few days later for the same or higher price.

they're hoping some idiot will just agree to pay the listed

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
The best are people who list the original purchase price (they have the receit of course). Because you know they want too much for market value.

Yeah dude i know your Eos film camera was expensive in 1995 but it kinda isn't 1995 anymore and they list for $5-10, not $150.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Sappo569 posted:

that reminds me about the time I sold a video card to an autistic man-child

I had just upgraded so I didn't need the outdated pos and threw it up on kijiji for $50, got a reply almost immediately,

very detailed email asking if it was working well and he needed it but couldn't afford a brand new one and WAS THE STICKER ON THE BACK STILL INTACT etc etc.

so I meet this guy outside a 7-eleven, and he's wearing sweat pants, hoodie and quite the ratty neckbeard. I show him the card wrapped anti static plastic and he hands the money.

'OK see ya thanks for the easy transaction, let me know if it works !' ... as I turn to get into my car

Over the course of a few days I get bombarded with emails from this guy, asking me about drivers, and every minute little detail about how to setup and configure the drat card.

Eventually I get frustrated and just refund him half the price so he will shut up and leave me alone,

thanks for reading my story about how I gave into peer pressure from a autist

Hey, I'm no stranger to poor decisions myself, but why didn't you just block his e-mail?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Hey, I'm no stranger to poor decisions myself, but why didn't you just block his e-mail?

yeah, actually I think it was text messages, but you're right.

I think I felt bad cause I could tell he was both poor as gently caress , and had some sort of brain problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

A couple of years ago, my Husband and I moved into our home. The hookup for the dryer was electric in our last apartment, and gas in the house. Put the dryer up on Craigs to soften the blow of buying a new one, and got some... interesting offers. This was about two years ago, and I only remember a couple of the fun ones.

A dude lowballed me for less than 1/4 of the asking price, and when I didn't respond, spent the rest of the day sending me comically furious e-mails.

Somebody tried to offer me some eggs, vegetables and a chicken. Not interested.

After a couple days, a nice guy and his wife picked it up for the asking price. :D

• Locked thread