Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
I know a lot of people are cautious of 'pre-release' games, but this is one that seems to have a lot of potential. Just think of army men, soldat, and diablo, somehow had a baby. This would be close to it. I bought the game within half an hour of trying the demo, which is still available, and it's only 73MB, located: here

http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/270150/
http://runningwithrifles.gamepedia.com/Running_with_Rifles_Wiki

What is this, you ask?

Lazy verbatim copy-pasta: Pick up your rifle and join the Greenbelts, Graycollars or Brownpants in their mission to send the enemy home in a box! RWR is an open world, top-down, tactical shooter for single player and multiplayer online, that puts you right in the middle of chaos in towns, trenches and forests turned into ruthless battlefields, controlling just one soldier in an army of several hundreds.

Current features via 'early-release'
  • 9x 1 km^2 maps with total of ~70 bases
  • hundreds of simultaneous AI soldiers, and minibosses
  • open world: it’s up to you how you play, the war goes on without you
  • not your usual “I’m the hero”-shooter: one bullet kills more often than not
  • use cover, crouch and prone, move with others to increase your odds to stay alive
  • emergent AI that tries hard: they too use cover and rooftops, attempt outflanking, deploy sandbags and utilize vehicles (Yes, tryhard AI. It rocks.)
  • gain XP to get promotions to lead your own squad, unlock items & calls
  • a broad variety of weapons, each faction with their own set
  • grenades, bazookas, remote detonable sticky C4, riot shields, medikits, vests, rare weapons
  • mortar strikes, paratrooper reinforcements, vehicle drops
  • jeeps, transport trucks, APC’s, boats, tanks, patrol ships with AI driving
  • deploy cover elements to strengthen your fellows’ positions or use vehicles for mobile cover
  • campaign and quick matches, with Map Capture or King of the Hill game modes
  • locate & destroy radio trucks, towers and other structures behind enemy lines, or steal their cargo truck and deliver it home
  • organize surprise attacks at less defended bases far in enemy territory
  • locate prisoners and set them free
  • explore locations for hidden items and vehicles
  • Windows and Linux supported
  • 24/7 servers in Europe and USA supporting 40+ players

There's more features planned, including extensive modding support, of which there already is some. Are you a Warhammer 40k nerd? Go here. Yeah, there's a mod based on the 40k universe. I can imagine there will one day be some zombie poo poo, and other WW2 based mods, and probably some spacey age poo poo, too.

Game modes
http://runningwithrifles.gamepedia.com/Objectives_and_game_modes

Currently there are four base gamemodes.

1. PVP: the standard, "sandbox" PVP mode, all weapons are unlocked at the start.
  2. Invasion: coop, rank progression, objective to capture the map from the AI. Or defend from.
  3. Team Elimination: Think counterstrike, where once you die, you're dead until next round.
  4. DM: Straight up death match.

In addition to the gamemodes, each one will have side missions so to speak in each, occurring at random.

Seek

Be the eyes of your faction, perched up on rooftops or hidden deep in enemy territory. Spot vehicles and structures that will appear on the map for your whole team, until destroyed.

Destroy

These targets of opportunity provide strategic abilities to the owning faction:

• Radio Jammers
  • Radar Towers
  • Comms Truck
  • Anti-Air Emplacements
  • Rescue

Rescue

These targets will grant a one-time influx of veteran soldiers upon their destruction:

• Prison Doors
  • Prison Buses
  • Retrieve

Capture & deliver

Deliver these assets to your faction's armory to improve its arsenal:

• Briefcases
  • Cargo Trucks
  • Enemy infantry weapons

Rank and experience
http://runningwithrifles.gamepedia.com/Ranks,_experience_and_scoring

You also level or rank up your character, in either campaign, or on a specific server depending upon their consistency settings, which range from match to forever. Personally I don't know what match is, I've never seen anything other than forever, including on my server.

Your rank will dictate a few things:

• Capacity of equipment such as grenades, cover elements, medikits, etc.
  • Ability to use certain weapons/equipment that are rank-restricted.
  • Ability to use radio calls
  • Number of maximum squadmates possible (one per 1000 XP, up to a maximum of 10).
  • Ability to take command of vehicles from other squads. When your rank is greater than the rank of a soldier driving a vehicle, you can force the soldier to disembark by getting in the driver's side.

In addition to rank, there is also RP, or resource points, that you use to call in strikes/vehicle delivery/AI squad paratroopers.
http://runningwithrifles.gamepedia.com/RP_or_Resource_points

List of things that give you RP:

• capturing a base
  • spotting an enemy vehicle
  • selling valuables at an armory. Those are dropped with different commonness from the enemy soldiers and have also different values
  • selling rare weapons (those can either be used or sold). Those are either dropped by mini-bosses or found in special crates (metallic boxes)
  • destroying enemy vehicles.
  • destroying mission targets such as comms truck, radar tower, prisoner bus, radio jamming tower, water tower, fuel tanks, mortar ammunition crates, anti-air emplacement results in a good RP reward
  • Stealing the cargo truck of the enemy team and bringing it back to one of your armories
  • being promoted to a higher military rank

Screenshots and a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2KBhLf0Omo

Here's a server list for those interested in multiplayer, which is pretty straight forward ingame, too. I have a server up based in Atlanta, and the other popular server is in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Got this back when it first came out on steam. It was fun, but have they actually added much to the game since then?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
There's some new vehicles, more weapons, and the gamemode invasion? Also, AI improvements. The last update was mostly ai and pathing fixes, as well as to vehicles and map issues. The next update I think will include more vehicles, including technicals, helicopters, and some other crap.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

I just picked this up today and I'm really enjoying it. It really hearkens back to the old glory days of Soldat, which I loved.

Hopefully theres some kinda multiplayer scene with this, since I can see that being a ton of fun.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Got it on Desura ages ago, Desura got me a Steam key s I've actually installed it again.

Good OP, good game, go buy it if you don't own it yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yivgev posted:

I just picked this up today and I'm really enjoying it. It really hearkens back to the old glory days of Soldat, which I loved.

Hopefully theres some kinda multiplayer scene with this, since I can see that being a ton of fun.

co-op against bots is always active, while pvp seems dead

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
kind of reminded me of Infantry the old SOE game at first, so anywhere where's the Infantry reboot

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Stoic Commie posted:

kind of reminded me of Infantry the old SOE game at first, so anywhere where's the Infantry reboot

This too. Jesus Christ, I spent so many hours of my life playing Infantry. That aliens VS marines game mode was boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I'm playing this with my friend and it's a lot of fun. The enemy AI is smarter than I expected. I hope it gets more popular, never really heard of it before I saw this thread.

• Locked thread