Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Staryberry posted:

There is a petition going around to have PetCo stop selling an homeopathic product to help calm hyper dogs, called Good Dog.

"It has been shown that essences from selected flowers, when added to your pet's drinking water, aid in helping balance the emotions of pets with behavior problems. This is done easily, gently and with no harmful side effects with Good Dog!

Many veterinarians recommend the use of essences for pets with behavior problems. Pet owners continually report great success. The selected flowers are carefully harvested at the most optimal time, thus assuring essences with the fullest potency. Quality is assured through standardization and other recognized control methods.

Non-toxic, non-radiated. No binders, fillers, herbicide or fumigants. "

I hear it works pretty well, but not because of the flower's potency. Instead, it's because the stuff is 13% alcohol. Get your puppy drunk to cure his hyperactivity or anxiety! What could go wrong?

My shelter used a brand (blackwing I think? not sure) that listed brandy "as a preservative."

I doubt any of the alcohol free varieties do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Staryberry posted:

There is a petition going around to have PetCo stop selling an homeopathic product to help calm hyper dogs, called Good Dog.

"It has been shown that essences from selected flowers, when added to your pet's drinking water, aid in helping balance the emotions of pets with behavior problems. This is done easily, gently and with no harmful side effects with Good Dog!

Many veterinarians recommend the use of essences for pets with behavior problems. Pet owners continually report great success. The selected flowers are carefully harvested at the most optimal time, thus assuring essences with the fullest potency. Quality is assured through standardization and other recognized control methods.

Non-toxic, non-radiated. No binders, fillers, herbicide or fumigants. "

I hear it works pretty well, but not because of the flower's potency. Instead, it's because the stuff is 13% alcohol. Get your puppy drunk to cure his hyperactivity or anxiety! What could go wrong?

That reminds me of Bach Flower Remedies' Rescue Remedy, which is supposed to calm you down if you're stressed out or anxious. It's pretty much diluted brandy.

catamar
May 23, 2008
The Hedgehog Welfare Society provides a bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy in each package they send to the owner of a rescued hedgehog. It's definitely herbed-up brandy. They recommend adding drops of it to the hedgehog's water. :iiam:

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
How can I make my Oscar fish meaner? Like really loving mean.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Put them in a trashcan

errant wit
Jul 21, 2008

Champ Baldoon posted:

How can I make my Oscar fish meaner? Like really loving mean.

Lunge at their tank like you're going to hit them. They will eventually switch from feeling defensive to just being outwardly aggressive all the time.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

errant wit posted:

Lunge at their tank like you're going to hit them. They will eventually switch from feeling defensive to just being outwardly aggressive all the time.

Nice. Would this technique make them hate their own kind even more? Is there a benefit in strength with live fish vs frozen blood worms? Gotta have my boy strong.

errant wit
Jul 21, 2008

Champ Baldoon posted:

Nice. Would this technique make them hate their own kind even more? Is there a benefit in strength with live fish vs frozen blood worms? Gotta have my boy strong.

Lunging at them may initially encourage them to group together for a false sense of safety. If and when this happens, punch the top of the water while growling menacingly. They will quickly learn that grouping together only makes them a bigger, easier-to-hit target. Feed them frozen blood worms while shouting to build their confidence. Once they show that they are not phased by your attempts at intimidation, feed them weak live fish. Start this off by dropping several weak fish into the tank, and gradually drop less and less over time. This will encourage them to fight each other for weak fish. Eventually they will just fight each other even if no food source is available.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Put them in a trashcan

This needs to be acknowledged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like to write inspirational messages like:

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
I ain't got time to bleed.
I eat goldfishes 'cause they're so delicious.
In dry erase marker on the tank wall.

At first I didn't notice an increase in aggression until I realized the letters appeared reversed from the inside of the tank. Now I write them backwards and my fish are in terrible shape from beating on each other. It's great!

• Locked thread