Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Cole posted:

Seemed pretty obvious to me that the playoffs should have been seeded with all of the major conference champions (or whoever the conference elects to represent them, like in the Big XII's case) plus somehow fitting some teams from small conferences. Then you wouldn't run into an issue of having one conference load the playoffs, or a team that didn't even win their conference winning the national championship (like Alabama a few years ago). Wasn't there a point this year where the playoffs could have realistically been three SEC teams?

Pretty much what the TV was clamoring for after week 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I don't think there was a chance at three SEC teams in the playoffs since the top SEC teams were all from the west and would cannibalize themselves which is exactly what happened.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

an adult beverage posted:

I don't think there was a chance at three SEC teams in the playoffs since the top SEC teams were all from the west and would cannibalize themselves which is exactly what happened.

South Carolina and Georgia were pretty highly ranked in the preseason. If they had lived up to the hype they might've had a chance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

No see we needed to freak out about it because OH MY GOD WHAT IF GODDAMNIT E$PN $EC NOOO. Never mind that there were still over 10 weeks to go.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
You might just as well say ESPN did it. No school, then or now, would turn down their own ESPN network. Once they gave it to us of course we weren't gonna do anything to blow it up. Any school in any conference would have done the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Or we can say texas did it.

Because they did.

good talk.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Meltathon posted:

The Big 12 is not offering NIU, and that article is entirely speculative on the basis that NIU is improving their facilities for the first time in 25 years. I've been to NIU football games when they were good, and they still didn't fill their stadium, and it's not a lot of space to fill. NIU has a ton of alumni, especially in Chicago, but they will always be overshadowed by the Big 10. NIU is almost a commuter school for suburban Chicago kids.

Yeah, NIU is not getting into the Big XII. If they're smart (and they really are sick of the MAC) they'll try to take UAB's spot in Conference USA.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why would NIU go to CUSA when the Aaack is right over there?

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Sash! posted:

Why would NIU go to CUSA when the Aaack is right over there?

The AAC is at 12 already. Even if they want to take NIU, who else do they add to get to 14 that's worth dividing the pie up further for?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
I wonder if NIU will end up going into the goddamn woods again, like they did in the '80s.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Does NIU have a beef with the MAC or something? I mean, I understand wanting to move into a P5 conference but not moving into a different, less stable non-P5 conference.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Does NIU have a beef with the MAC or something? I mean, I understand wanting to move into a P5 conference but not moving into a different, less stable non-P5 conference.

I think they just want to move up and the B12 seemed like the P5 conference most likely to take them. They aren't mad at the MAC specifically that I know of, just that they have designs on something bigger. I don't think they're ready yet, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i've never heard of NIU having beef with the MAC. I don't fault them for floating the idea of going bigger but there's never been an outright problem or anything.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there any precedence of putting a directional in a P5 conference, not to mention that there are other community colleges like Bosie that host much better football programs.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bip Roberts posted:

Is there any precedence of putting a directional in a P5 conference, not to mention that there are other community colleges like Bosie that host much better football programs.
South Carolina is in the SEC.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

South Florida was in the Big East.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bip Roberts posted:

West Virginia :laugh:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Bip Roberts posted:

Oklahoma State

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Back when Deteriorata was looking at schools, Pitt was Directional Pennsylvania

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

Back when Deteriorata was looking at schools, Pitt was Directional Pennsylvania

Pitt was also independent, so it doesn't matter. They haven't been the same since Pop Warner retired.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bip Roberts posted:

North Western University

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Noted community college University of Southern California.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noted community college University of Southern California.

Not to mention branch campus of California, UC-Los Angles

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Korranus posted:

They didn't really mean this though so

Did they really use their web page to lobby for inclusion in 1995 / 96?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hed posted:

Among other things, yes.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Hed posted:

That's from back in 2011 when the Pac 16 was still a seriously considered thing and Baylor was staring mid-major status in the face.

So can we all agree the Big 12 is not in a state of panic?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I imagine if anything happens to the Big XII before the early 2020s it'll be two or four schools invited, and it'll happen seemingly out of nowhere. But it won't happen this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bip Roberts posted:

Southern California

Korranus posted:

That's from back in 2011 when the Pac 16 was still a seriously considered thing and Baylor was staring mid-major status in the face.

They're winners dawg :c00lbert:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
West Virginia. Wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

West Virginia. Wait.

I already made that joke.

:hist101: the state is older than the university

• Locked thread