Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdaddy
Jun 20, 2006
Thinking of replacing my aging HTPC with a Mac Mini, but running Ubuntu.

How is the performance? Can I expect smooth hi-def flash video at 1080p? Smooth browser performance?

The reason I want to replace my current HTPC is that we do a lot of stuff in the browser and the performance is lacking, especially high-resolution media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Sure it will work fine. Are you buying new or used? I'm currently using a Gigabye Brix (GB-BXi5-4570R). Takes MSATA or 2.5" SATA drives. Pretty happy with it. I also had a Zotac ZBox but had serious product quality issues with it. Have a couple Solidrun Cubes on order, but don't have them yet. Supposedly they are pretty good and have HW accel for video.

mdaddy
Jun 20, 2006
Buying new.. Thanks for the tip on the Brix, those may be the better option in terms of compatibility with Ubuntu (and easier install). My main concern is video performance.

I also had a Zotac but it died. Using a Jetway minitop now, but am on my second unit (first one died also). It's awful loud and hot, and the video performance is bad as mentioned in the OP.

Looks like it'll be Brix or Mac Mini from here. Thanks again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Be advised if you go to buy a new Mini from Apple, RAM is non-upgradeable, you buy what you can afford (8GB or 16 GB) hard drive is kind of upgradeable.

The GPU, an Intel GMA 5000/5100 is decent enough to drive good sized video though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A mac mini is stupid overkill for an HTPC. any of the cheap nucs or zotacs will drive 1080p video all day.

• Locked thread