Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So one of my hard drives recently died and I switched it out and installed a fresh windows 7. However now my PC randomly just shuts off. No BSOD no automatic reboot. Just shuts off and that's it. I can turn it back on and it'll be ok for maybe another 10 or 15 mins sometimes longer but eventually it will just die.

Like I said the only recent changes I've made are a new HD and a fresh copy of windows.

Windows 7
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
E8400 Wolfdale
6GB RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
How old is the power supply and what brand is it? Do you another power supply you can install to see if that is the problem?

Obviously check all the connections inside your computer as well.

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
Is there any chance that overheating is the problem?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
In case anyone is interested I figured it out.

Downloaded Speedfan and kept an eye on the temps. The core's were going through the roof(~100 degrees). I initially didn't consider that overheating could be the problem because I would've expected a BSOD and reboot not a complete shut off. Anyway, I cracked it open and fiddled around a bit, not being able to figure out what was wrong, then I nudged the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro heatsink and noticed it had become unseated on one side and was kind of hanging off to the side when the case was vertical, that's why it was running for longer when the case was horizontal. Anyway, I reseated the heatsink and based on Speedfan the temps are back to normal(~30 degrees). Only time will truly tell if it's fixed, but I'm pretty sure that it is.

I guess this will allow me to put off buying a new desktop for a little longer even though I really should build one as you can see from my hardware in the OP my PC is old as poo poo. I'm actually so sick of looking at this lumbering hulk of a thing and hearing it's jet engine that I'm thinking of going with a Mini itx, especially since I'm off to college soon and I'd rather not drag this around.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and help.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread