Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
see thread title
blood simple
raising arizona
millers crossing
barton fink
hudsucker proxy
fargo
big lebowski
o brothers
the man who wasn't there
ladykillers
no country
burn after reading
serious man
true grit
llllewyn davis
View Results

• Locked thread
Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
"The Big Lebowski" will always be a favorite for me, but I'm glad to see some love for "A Serious Man". In my view it's one of their best films, and I wish it had garnered more critical attention.

When I saw that movie for the first time, and the rabbi tells that long boring story about the teeth and Stuhlbarg asks him (in effect) what the point is, and the rabbi answers "Is it… relevant?"—I was laughing so loud, so hard and so long that my friend had to clap me on the shoulder and whisper, all right, that's enough. And boy do I like that ending shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Sonj posted:

how is it that the one coen brothers movie about a guy getting cucked only has 13 votes

I never thought about it before but infidelity is a very consistent theme throughout their works: Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Man Who Wasn't There, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou (The Odyssey), Burn After Reading, A Serious Man.

Also, Raising Arizona and Fargo both have men making horrible attempts at infidelity.

Goddamn Coens... I haven't seen Intolerable Cruelty, can I assume Zeta Jones is married when the story begins,

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No Country has a scene where the main character may have been adulterous.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Over the weekend, I smoked a bunch of weed and went to a midnight showing of the Big Lebowski with a couple friends, it was awesome. Still voted for Raising Arizona.

I will always defend the position that Nicolas Cage is an amazing actor when he has a good script and a good director.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Keanu Reeves looks good when the winds are favorable. Better than universally awful, but not excellent.

I guess if you are saying that it is amazing that you aren't sitting there seething over the fact that he got work then... Sure. Amazing.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Is this the thread for codenames? You hear that? We're using codenames.

Raising Arizona. The whole chase scene is an amazing piece of film. Plus it has the kid doing the sweatshirt over the eyes thing which is adorable.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Phlairdon posted:

John Goodman is really the same guy in all of the movies despite the name change, he just doesn't age because he's the devil. Think of him as the Randal Flagg of the Coen Brothers universe.

lmao

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rex Deckard posted:

Is this the thread for codenames? You hear that? We're using codenames.

Raising Arizona. The whole chase scene is an amazing piece of film. Plus it has the kid doing the sweatshirt over the eyes thing which is adorable.

YOU NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Cowboys vs aliens

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

a starwar betamax posted:

Cowboys vs aliens

Nice! :hfive:

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Twitch posted:

Over the weekend, I smoked a bunch of weed and went to a midnight showing of the Big Lebowski with a couple friends, it was awesome. Still voted for Raising Arizona.

I will always defend the position that Nicolas Cage is an amazing actor when he has a good script and a good director.

Nicholas Cage is a good actor actually. People who say he's not don't know what they're talking about

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

logical phalluses posted:

Nicholas Cage is a good actor actually. People who say he's not don't know what they're talking about

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

logical phalluses posted:

The thing about Cage is that he seems willing to throw himself 110% into every one of his roles, but he also takes any half-baked piece of poo poo that comes along. So when he gets to be in something like Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation, he's riveting. But when he gets Ghost Rider or the Wicker Man, it's a complete trainwreck.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The Tao Jones posted:

The thing about Cage is that he seems willing to throw himself 110% into every one of his roles, but he also takes any half-baked piece of poo poo that comes along. So when he gets to be in something like Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation, he's riveting. But when he gets Ghost Rider or the Wicker Man, it's a complete trainwreck.

totally agree, the man delivers the goods no matter what

he's like the old-school postal service of actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

papa got castles to buy so a-movie makin' he will go

• Locked thread