Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Quasimango posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/unidentified-queen-torture

In case anyone was curious who she's talking about, it's Alfreda Frances Bikowsky.

I had not read that story. That's all hosed up. I am not sure how the Senate has to get permission from anyone to do any goddamn thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

UberJew posted:

As soon as the next administration came around the CIA was right back to business as usual with the Church Commission having accomplished exactly jack and poo poo so why would they have shot anybody?

The Church comission did end up firing a lot of people, and it took the CIA to get back to business as usual. CIA dudes today still totally hate it.
It also set a precedent that the one can try to rein in the CIA without risking once live. I mean, Chruschev "reined in" by the NKVD by shooting the gently caress out of Lavrentij Berija, and also have Zhukov (later Malinovsky) threaten to shoot everyone else while still extending Olive branches to other secret service people. IIRC there is a quote by him about the affair being higher risk than Stalingrad.

That a bunch of people without massive military power (like well, Zhukov or Malinovsky) hosed around with the CIA accomplished something and survived was pretty uncomprehensible for a number of Soviet decision makers.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I mean, that is one of the basic tenets of classical realist theory in international relations - countries are rational actors w/r/t their national interests, and internal politics are just fluff. I don't really agree with that, and realism has developed into many more nuanced flavors today, but that theory isn't just a Soviet view of America.

There were Soviets who didnt exactly think like that, and who prefered a more democratic USA over a military coup USA or over a CIA run USA (I think they were wrong. USSR would have had better cards against a CIA run Oligarchy, or against a US military dictatorship, then they had against a working democracy), because they believed it to be weaker. Chruschev was worried about Kennedy getting couped for showing weakness in Cuba, so he threw him a bone, Which resulted in Chruschev getting couped by more hard line Soviets.

History is chock full of such ironies.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I thought it was spelled like: Khrushchev ?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mightypeon posted:

There were Soviets who didnt exactly think like that, and who prefered a more democratic USA over a military coup USA or over a CIA run USA (I think they were wrong. USSR would have had better cards against a CIA run Oligarchy, or against a US military dictatorship, then they had against a working democracy), because they believed it to be weaker. Chruschev was worried about Kennedy getting couped for showing weakness in Cuba, so he threw him a bone, Which resulted in Chruschev getting couped by more hard line Soviets.

History is chock full of such ironies.

Kennedy's communiques to Khrushchev through Bobby are so expert in their political tone and implicit understanding of the Soviet view of American politics at the time. To be fair, Khrushchev legitimately wanted to de-escalate, but the proper understanding of the needed face-saving would have been impossible for any other president to grasp.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm just saying Juan Bosch called it.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Isn't the belief that Bobby Kennedy was killed by the CIA pretty mainstream or did I listen to too much info wars when I was younger?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

An Intercept article is naming names. About loving time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Miltank posted:

So none of the post-911 security increases were necessary besides firing that one lady which we didn't even do?

E:was she the person Zero Dark Thirty was based off of?

Securing the cockpit doors was a good idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Feral Integral posted:

I thought it was spelled like: Khrushchev ?

Хрущёв actually. Kh is more common but there's other transliteration systems, wikipedia has a big table: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Russian

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Radish posted:

Is she like Amanda Waller from Batman or something?

Amanda Waller was competent.

e: beaten. i read too slow

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

quote:

Bikowsky’s former personal lawyer, Robert Litt, play[ed] a key role in his current capacity as a top government lawyer in deciding which parts of the torture report should be released.

I know its such a trivial thing, but what fascinates me is how enclosed and corrupt some small details seem. Robert Litt is the Director of National Intelligence's general council, he was heavily involved in choosing which parts of the Senate's report should be declassified or redacted. He personally represents multiple CIA employees involved in torture programs, and in 2009, as a condition of his appointment, he had to affirm to the Intelligence Committee he would recuse himself from such situations.

Robert Litt posted:

I represent several present and former employees of the Central Intelligence Agency in matters relating to the detention and interrogation of suspected terrorists, By statute, under the rules of ethics and by virtue of my ethics agreement that has been provided to the committee, I will not participate personally and substantially in any particular matter involving these clients . . . including decisions about similarly situated individuals.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mister Adequate posted:

This is my favorite part of all. The idea that the President and SIC have to 'negotiate' with the CIA over anything, instead of just giving orders and having them followed. It's the most :magical: line I've yet seen about this whole catastrofuck, and it really drives home how out of control the CIA are.

Always fun to watch the tail wagging the dog :allears:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

“The Unidentified Queen of Torture” is pretty metal. Namechange please, mods? tia

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many names are in the full report if/when Udall releases it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I wonder how many names are in the full report if/when Udall releases it.

Do you really think that's going to happen? I hope it will, but that seems like something no one will see for several more decades.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Dick Durbin was interrupted by anti-torture protestors during a senate meeting: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/anti-torture-protesters-interrupt-senate-prosecute-now/

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Here's hoping they'll keep it up. If there's anything worth protesting in the US it's poo poo like this.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

snorch posted:

Here's hoping they'll keep it up. If there's anything worth protesting in the US it's poo poo like this.

I completely agree but I am afraid that the country is actively trying to forget this already happened. I've had to remind my own co-workers of conversations we've had face to face about this report, like, a week ago. That's how fast most people forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Kind of like the fact that I'd forgotten I'd bookmarked this thread.

Yeah, it's been buried already.

• Locked thread